AT&T E-mail Apologizes for iPad Data Breach

HardOCP News

[H] News
AT&T has apologized for last week’s iPad data breach but, instead of excepting responsibility, the company blamed “self-described” hackers for the incident. Lame.

The e-mail, which was signed by AT&T Chief Privacy Officer Dorothy Attwood, blamed "self-described hackers" for uncovering a hole in the company's Web site that allowed for the exposure of 114,000 e-mail addresses belonging to iPad owners, according to a copy posted on Boy Genius Report.

oh AT&T and their bullshit customer service. not once since having an AT&T product or service have i had a problem and had them accept responsibility and fix it.

Love how it took them almost a week to get this e-mail out. Yeah all they got were addresses but still. They should have had something out THAT DAY.

Perhaps you could say they made an exception to taking responsibility :)

Hah
The hackers deliberately went to great efforts with a random program to extract possible ICC-IDs and capture customer email addresses

Right, as if generating random numbers was difficult for a program. From the description of how the breach went, it couldn't take a single person more than a weekend to write an entire program that generates random numbers, sends the request, reads the page and dumps the info into a log file.

Even typing a string of five random characters could have been enough to expose someone's valid email.

I don't call that hacking, I call that outsourcing the programming to some country that doesn't understand the concept of IT security

Back