AT&T Just Killed Unlimited Wireless Data

Wait, so they are changing the contract, right? So I call up and say I don't accept the changes and I'm out, right?

Wait, so they are changing the contract, right? So I call up and say I don't accept the changes and I'm out, right?

IIRC, last year they added a piece that says they can alter the contract on their own whim. You could have bailed prior to that. Not so sure now.

No they are not changing the contract, you are SOL. If you WANT to change you can, otherwise you keep what you have. And even if you upgrade to the new Iphone 4G and renew you can still keep your existing data plan. AT&T stated this today on their Facebook page.

IIRC, last year they added a piece that says they can alter the contract on their own whim. You could have bailed prior to that. Not so sure now.

Is that even legal? Its really scary the shit being pulled with a simple cell phone contract.

as long as you don't cancel your service, it sounds like you will still get to keep your current rates/plan. So technically you can upgrade to a 4G iphone and keep your current plan, you'll just have to buy the phone in full instead of opting for a new contract and the subsidised phone cost.
Except I was paying a subsidized cost on the old contract which means I'll still be paying a subsidized cost without the benefit, while technically "it's an option" it's a piss poor option.

Is that even legal? Its really scary the shit being pulled with a simple cell phone contract.

I just looked back. My statement was incorrect for the most part. They added their arbitration rules on the customer TOS, creating a big ruckus around wanting to cancel. Where I got confused is the statement of changes without notice is in their acceptable use policy, which was an ealier concern when they changed the rules regarding data usage.

People will never give up their precious iphones. They'll praise and love AT&T and continue purchasing. I'll stay with Sprint as I have had great service so far from them all around.

Same, I'd like an iPhone if it was on Sprint but I like my HTC Hero to much to switch. That and there is no AT&T service at my parents place.

Except I was paying a subsidized cost on the old contract which means I'll still be paying a subsidized cost without the benefit, while technically "it's an option" it's a piss poor option.

I agree, which is why I'll probably avoid upgrading unless it has some sort of killer feature or hardware upgrade (which I doubt).

Hopefully apple signs on with tmobile or Verizon (or even sprint) in the near future.

People will never give up their precious iphones. They'll praise and love AT&T and continue purchasing. I'll stay with Sprint as I have had great service so far from them all around.

I agree, which is why I'll probably avoid upgrading unless it has some sort of killer feature or hardware upgrade (which I doubt).

Hopefully apple signs on with tmobile or Verizon (or even sprint) in the near future.

I've heard rumors that Verizon rejected the CDMA iPhone since Apple said no to them the first time.

I'd be really surprised if verizon and tmobile didn't follow their lead. This is bad news for everyone with a smart phone IMO

T-mobiles highest data plan is 30.00 /month for 10gb w/ free tethering, also you don't pay more if you go over 10gb, they just throttle your connection to EDGE speeds once the 10gb is reached.

Anyone know how they are going to enforce the $20 tethering charge considering that I'm tethering right now and not planning on upgrading iPhone OS ever again?

I've heard rumors that Verizon rejected the CDMA iPhone since Apple said no to them the first time.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2007-01-28-verizon-iphone_x.htm

Actually, Verizon turned Apple down for the original iphone.

I, honestly, can't see Verizon doing that again. Imagine where they'd be (or more importantly, where AT&T would be) if Verizon got exclusive rights to the iphone. It's made AT&T a ton of money over the past few years.

Make no mistake 2% has not, will not, and never will cause the amount of clogged AT&T network coverage that has happened with the iPhone, therefore they are flat out lying that most people utilize 2gb or less per month. Also make no mistake they are doing this knowing that data usage is going to skyrocket with the new iPhone and video conferencing abilities to the tune of millions in overage fees that people will now incur. I dare say that with video conferencing you will have some users hitting 2gb limits in a day or two. So what they were once able to bill only $30 for a data plan they now will be able to far exceed that with data overage charges. AT&T knows that at some point the iPhone money train will pull into another carriers station and they are making a grab to get every dollar they can before they lose it.

Well the other side of that coin is not upgrading I get to continue to subsidize without a new phone. So I will be upgrading a phone through someone. I'll just have to figure out through who.

1. This really is lame changing the iPad plan after marketing the crap out of the unlimited $30 plan.

2. I honestly don't blame them. My wife has the wi-fi iPad and probably pulls down 5GB+ in a month. I know many people with an iPhone that will easily get to 2GB and the larger screen of the iPad seriously makes it a more functional Internet device. Not to mention the people that get a Windows Mobile 6.x phone and tether on the $30 plan as their only source of Internet There is no telling how much data these people pull down. I have no problem if the people using the most data have to pay more.

3. This actually may keep me from leaving the company. I am grandfathered in with no data plan, but the second I put my sim card in a different smart phone (even without using the subsidized price) they will add on the required data plan. This keeps me from upgrading to a new phone because I will not pay the extra $30 per month per line. I figured when it was time to get a new phone, I would switch to a different company where I could use a smartphone without being required to have $30 data. $15 data is much more reasonable.

I figured when it was time to get a new phone, I would switch to a different company where I could use a smartphone without being required to have $30 data. $15 data is much more reasonable.

If you can find one for me right now, I'd switch immediately. Fact of the matter is that none exist.

There's too much BS here to account for, but that which smells the worst is how they're now charging for data per GB, yet still charging extra for tethering.

That's complete bullshit and almost borders on illegal. Who is ATT to tell me how I can use my 2 GB of data? That's like a car dealership telling me that I must pay an extra $100 in any month that I drive my car over 60 MPH.

Cell phone pricing never made much sense anyway.
Text messages should be free or much much cheaper than what they are now based on how they just piggyback on the unused portions of packets to the cell tower.
If you have a data plan, texts should just use your data plan.

If you need and have unlimited data you can keep it, if you don't you save $5/month (or more). Sounds like a good deal to me.

Only 2% of users use more than 2gb on their cell phone per month....

And tethering isn't free on any AT&T device, why would it be any different on the iphone?
Um, I have a regular data plan on my Nokia E71 and yes, tethering is free....

Um, I have a regular data plan on my Nokia E71 and yes, tethering is free....

free for me, too.

I use unlocked phones, though. I have a grandfathered plan w/ unlimited data. Looks like I'm not changing anything, well, ever. If they try to change my plan I'm out for a different company so fast their head will spin.

This is terrible for consumers...... a 5gb hard cap would have been okay, i guess....

but going to 2GB? seriosuly?

I am keeping my $30 iphone unlimited 5gb soft cap for ever (apparently) :rolleyes: and jailbreaking for tethering....

screw att

the charge a ton of $$$ for mediocre service and then complain that too many people are using their service... That is an okay excuses for small mom a pop start ups, but not one of the largest telecoms in the world....

they are making me contemplate paying the ETF and moving to verizon w/ a andriod phone....

apple and att lose with this

As noted in the other thread about this issue from this morning, it's believed that this will cause other carriers to fall in line, and we (meaning those of us that use 3G data plans for our devices; I do, but not with AT&T) could be looking at the end of the so-called "unlimited" usage not just from AT&T but all others as well.

Best advice: if you'd planned to get an iPad, do it now, before June 7th (and not ON June 7th either, no later than late evening on June 6th I'd say) and get that $30/month "unlimited" plan grandfathered in, fast.

As for the other devices, I don't really care. I just think (as I stated in the other thread) that this is a bait-and-switch tactic to some degree: the iPad was advertised/announced as having that $30/month plan - Steve Jobs was fucking giddy about it on-stage when he told people about it, and it became a MAJOR selling point for the iPad w/3G devices.

Now, what, a month, month and a half out suddenly AT&T is pulling a fast one and yanking that very plan that people wanted because Steve Jobs told 'em it was so "great" in the announcement.

The new iPhone isn't the catalyst for this, either: all this was set in motion last year, with Apple and AT&T acting as colluding partners in what's happening.

This reminds me of the introduction of the original iPhone at those insanely high prices, and a very short time afterward suddenly it dropped big time and the early adopters were left wondering "WTF man... I want my $200-300 back..."

I know the early adopters will get grandfathered in on this, but that's not the point. The $30/month "unlimited" no-contract data plan was the selling point for the iPad 3G models... it just ain't right, any way you slice that... apple.

Eh.... I guess I'll stick with Sprint for another 11 years....Free data ftw :)

If you can find one for me right now, I'd switch immediately. Fact of the matter is that none exist.

If you are referring to a company that you can use a smart phone with no data plan go with a prepaid MVNO. Forget the big companies like Sprint and Verizon. I personally use an HTC Ozone on PagePlus Cellular which uses the Verizon network and so has great coverage. My plan is $30/month for 1200 minutes, 1200 texts, and 50mb of data which is plenty for me as long as I use WiFi where available and don't stream video when not on WiFi. Plus no contract!

They also have pay as you go and an unlimited talk+text plan (though unfortunately less data is included, 20mb). You can activate any Verizon phone with a clean ESN except Verizon prepaid and blackberries though it is rumored they may be working on a blackberry plan. If you want a Blackberry Virgin Mobile just came out with some very good unlimited plans (including data) for very reasonable rates. Boost mobile is another option for blackberries and unlimited data included. There are other similar companies out there, but I think PagePlus Cellular is the best deal for non-blackberries.

Only big downside with these companies is they don't have family plans so the rates can run you higher than a large family plan might. For an individual you can save a ton of money. I'm very happy with my $30/month plan using a smartphone.

I'd agree, get a 3G iPad now if you are in the market for one.

However since the new iPhone debuts on the same day the changes occur seems more than coincidental. Apple has stated there alot more in store for the 7th. I don't know whats coming, guess we'll find out Monday.

From what I understand if your plan lapses you loose the unlimited data plan for the iPad, you have to keep it on renew. If I buy one and register it and buy one month of unlimited data and could activate it anytime I like I would buy an iPad before Monday. The problem (that was the major benefit) is that the iPad is none contract, thus you can't grandfather yourself into a plan.

Wireless phones should simply be a wireless portal into a data connection that the user can do whatever the fuck they want with. Tether, skype, bit-torrent, whatever the fuck they WANT with it.

Just ridiculous. It has absolutely no impact what-so-ever on AT&T what the customer is sending or receiving in that data. It's all the same damn thing.

Fuck AT&T. I'm jumping to Sprint or Verizon with my next phone.

Every single time I consider moving from Verizon to AT&T and getting an iPhone, AT&T announces yet another backwards way to piss off customers.

So much for getting an iPhone...

I'm just waiting to see if Verizon does the same thing so I can jump on their unlimited data plan if/before it disappears.

Time to press the eject button on these asshats Apple...

they are going to do it.. It is all over the internet

The only question is when. If it's after October (as some say when they roll out their 4G network late this year/early 2011) then I can wait for my contract to expire and hop over with no ETF. Otherwise, I have to watch and if they announce that they are getting rid of it, I have to pay $50 and switch over beforehand to get grandfathered in before unlimited data goes away.

I wouldn't' have a problem with any of this if they had just said from the beginning "5GB/month" and not unlimited.

Everyone else was jumping on the "unlimited" bandwagon, AT&T and most others only wanted to put one foot in.

Say you offer a buffet meal for 15 dollars, most people come in, eat and everything is happy. Every now and then you will get a 400lb porker who's going to put a pretty big dent in that unlimited pudding bar. You can't go up to the tubby and tell him to pay an extra 5 dollars. They need to update their network, adjust their pricing scheme, and take out that damn unlimited talk unless they REALLY freaking mean unlimited.

I jail broke my phone long ago and paid for PDAnet, a very well written tethering app. Ive never gotten a letter from AT&T because I don't use my tethered phone as a primary pipe to the internet. Its more of a "every now and then" to emergency use kinda thing. Worked great for the few days I had no internet after I moved to a new place.

I've never worried about going over in the past with bandwidth, now I'll have to start thinking twice if I want to sit there and watch 25 youtube clips beacuse I'm bored.

Way to F up even harder AT&T, I'm more and more tempted to move providers after all these years.

Hey, you know my neck is probably bigger then your head there buddy ;)

all the same I have to agree with you. sprint is looking good right now.

Looks like I'm going to jump ship as well. All the better. I was on a family plan and didn't have data, but several others did and wanted/needed a new phone so we're jumping over to sprint. Here's the kicker I will be paying the same amount as I did before and I'll have unlimited data. Screw you A&TT.

I played around w/ a friend's Sprint HTC Evo 4G over the weekend. Cool phone and a definite iPhone killer once 4G is available in most cities.

Back