AT&T to Buy T-Mobile

Wait a goddamn minute here. I thought their network was so overburdened by 2% of users. But now they can bring in a buttload more users to ride on the same network?

Such liars, and since its AT&T, it won't get blocked.

They will gain T-Mobile's network with this buyout. So they won't just be adding users to their current network.

I thought sprint was buying tmo

Even if Sprint had the money to buy Tmo (not sure if they do or not) it wouldn't be worth it to convert Tmo's entire network to CDMA or convert theirs to GSM. They would have to get every single one of their customers or Tmo's customers to get a new phone and would probably have to offer free phones and find a way to grandfather the plans in to make it work or loss a lot of customers. We're talking billions on top of the billions required to buy the company.

No offense, but when it comes to telecommunications (both wired and wireless) Canada is the exact polar opposite direction from where we should be heading for a free and fair market.

Pretty sure that was his point, lol. ;)

petition time... this cant be allowed through the fcc... hell verizon and alltel almost didnt get approved. this really sucks less competition means verizon and att will be able to hike up their rates even more...

ugh the deathstar is growing bigger....lol

i have never been a fan of t-mobile but this can't be a good thing :(

I sure hope all the T-mobile customers feel the same way about this buy-out, and say eff'you to AT&T. I would love for them to buy this company for $39 BILLION, then everyone leave for their competition LOL SUCK IT AT&T!

I have been with T-mobile for 12 years now, way back when they were voice stream. Best phone company I have been with. Not to mention I used to work for AT&T and our company phones were limited on how many minutes we had. WTF is that all about? Sorry ass company if I do say so myself.

D

I wonder how this will effect the network where I live. AT&T only has Edge service here. T-Mobile doesn't have 3G either. Both companies have little to no coverage at all around here. I think Tmo has a little better coverage, but all the towers are CDMA the closest GSM tower is probably 30-40 miles away in either direction. So the new combined network will probably still be shit.

If I am currently with T-Mobile and they get merged, what will happen to my plan? I don't dig AT&T's cap. Think my contract would end?

If I am currently with T-Mobile and they get merged, what will happen to my plan? I don't dig AT&T's cap. Think my contract would end?

ATT should allow all Tmo customers to keep their current plan and be grandfathered into it.

ATT should allow all Tmo customers to keep their current plan and be grandfathered into it.

It will likely resemble the AT&T and Cingular merger. You will probably be referred to as AT&T Purple customers for a while. Get your plan transitioned EXACTLY how you want it before the merger. You will not be allowed to modify any features without transitioning to AT&T Blue (oh, the irony, if you were around for the last one).

This is good for AT&T customers, but crap for T-Mobile customers. I hope the regulatory body nixes this. We lost AT&T Wireless, Alltell, and Nextel all in the past five years. Now we are losing T-Mobile. I would not be surprised to see Sprint as the next to go. Once that happens, look for the US wireless industry to stagnate and the nickel and diming to get really bad. If it comes down to Verizon vs AT&T, I can see them pushing out all the MVNOs after a few years.

It will likely resemble the AT&T and Cingular merger. You will probably be referred to as AT&T Purple customers for a while. Get your plan transitioned EXACTLY how you want it before the merger. You will not be allowed to modify any features without transitioning to AT&T Blue (oh, the irony, if you were around for the last one).

This is good for AT&T customers, but crap for T-Mobile customers. I hope the regulatory body nixes this. We lost AT&T Wireless, Alltell, and Nextel all in the past five years. Now we are losing T-Mobile. I would not be surprised to see Sprint as the next to go. Once that happens, look for the US wireless industry to stagnate and the nickel and diming to get really bad. If it comes down to Verizon vs AT&T, I can see them pushing out all the MVNOs after a few years.

If its not AT&T it will be someone else. Deutsche Telekom doesn't want them anymore.

I use T-Mobile for several years now and just as I'm waiting to get this new Sidekick 4g with web chat & touch screen features (out this spring), AT$T got T-Mobile already. I quit using AT$T service a year ago - their service sucks.

I suppose I should have added that I bought a Nexus S on Tmobile. Unfortunately, it looks as though the HSPA bands do not match so even if I did move the phone over, I'd be stuck on the Edge network. I suppose I'd have to sell my Nexus S and buy something like the Atrix to make up for it.

In that case, you have SimpleMobile (T-Mobile MVNO) that will sell just a SIM. You get unlimited everything for $60/month prepaid (Gonna get hit with sales tax, but still less than the taxes you are paying now).

Tmo user here and this sucks. Have a little over a year left im my contract. BTW this acquisition should take about 12 months to complete AFTER it gets approved by the US gov. Which is about when my contract runs out. At that time my family will see what makes sense for us. Then again I may just get an iphone 6. Who knows. I f**king hate the cell phone companies in the US. They nickel and dime you to death. I'd rather have the European model of cell business.

Been using TMO's prepaid for a year and been happy
Have absolutely no interest in being attached to AT&T in any way so I'll be finding a new provider.

If the anti-trust laws don't take care of this, then we might as well just consider all US laws as optional.

I wonder if the T-Mobile girl (aka Anne Hathaway's hot sister) comes with the deal. That girl is an 11 1/2.

I disagree, I believe the more you look at her face (noose area) the more you'll pass. I think in the later commercials they have been shying away from closeups. However in honesty she'll probably go away quick as her ads were Anti ATT/Verizon/Iphone, just like the spiky haired altel guy.

So... I can't help but try and make a funny connection between usage caps/overages and then the company buying another company...

There's still a small chance the Fed could block it. Depends on how many lobbyists AT&T has in Washington, and who they own right now.

They will gain T-Mobile's network with this buyout. So they won't just be adding users to their current network.

Yep. Although a good question to ask at the moment is why hasn't this $39 billion been spent on their own shitty network in order to fix it?

StraightTalk. $45/month(straight up $45+sales tax) unlimited everything (soft-caps on the data), no contract as it is prepaid.

If you get either of the Nokia phones($200, and no, no cheaper options work), you can put that SIM in any GSM phone (It is an AT&T SIM, so it can be any AT&T locked phone, including a locked iPhone).

I've had StraightTalk before, and I can assure you that there are no GSM phones on it, CDMA only. You may be thinking about Net10/Tracfone, which use a combination of CDMA/GSM.

StraightTalk is a very bad idea for heavy users. If they deem that you have 'excessive usage', which is undefined, they can terminate your service, with no credits/refunds. 'Unlimited' is not unlimited with them.

Yep. Although a good question to ask at the moment is why hasn't this $39 billion been spent on their own shitty network in order to fix it?

Why spend money on your own network when you can just buy out the competition and use that as an excuse?

Why spend money on your own network when you can just buy out the competition and use that as an excuse?

Good point. Although I guess that means the new AT&T slogan will be "More dropped calls in more places!"

This buy out won't really help the network I mean people might get better signal strength due to more towers but you have a greater combined workload. It's like adding an extra lane to an expressway but adding another 500,000 cars really won't be much of a benefit to anyone.

I am sad. I think this means that there is no hspa+ future for us tmobile ppl since they will switch to lte.

t-mobile user here. I am not looking forward to this. I like t-mobiles prices (which are the lowest of the major carriers), and I like their customer service which was great. I have not heard the same things about ATT.

Not a good day.

From what it looks like T-mobile will be owned by AT&T, but run independently. Most likely the rate plans will change and if they re-purpose the T-mo towers means new phones to support the 3g/4g bands that AT&T uses.

Wait a goddamn minute here. I thought their network was so overburdened by 2% of users. But now they can bring in a buttload more users to ride on the same network?

Such liars, and since its AT&T, it won't get blocked.

My guess is that T-mobiles infrastructure is included in the purchase. Just a thought.

I hate friggin ATT so much. I used to work for that Company in sales mgmt. They treat people like sh1t and employee like Cattle. Seriously worst company ever.

I've had StraightTalk before, and I can assure you that there are no GSM phones on it, CDMA only. You may be thinking about Net10/Tracfone, which use a combination of CDMA/GSM.

StraightTalk is a very bad idea for heavy users. If they deem that you have 'excessive usage', which is undefined, they can terminate your service, with no credits/refunds. 'Unlimited' is not unlimited with them.

Straight talk is great for anyone that just wants talk and text. I dont think they have actually enforced that clause on anyone just yet and you would be surprised how many "unlimited" plans have clauses like that.

I'm sure that's just press-speak for 'at first we're not changing anything, but just wait a few months...'.

Exactly. Thats how they keep the most subscribers they can. Little by little things will change over until before you know it all signs of t-mobile are gone.

Per CNN, T-mobiles spectrum is of poorer quality than AT&T's, so it will be of less use. Further, T-Mobile is nearly at capacity just with it's own subscribers, so AT&T isn't gaining any extra bandwith.

It's sad. In the US there are two sides presented to each issue - pro-business and pro-government. There is a 3rd path, the true capitalist path, of pro-markets. Businesses and politicians give lip service to the market, but what they really mean is to their chosen businesses. No one is actually pro market anymore.

As an aside -

Dear T Mobile Girl,

I hear that you will be out of work soon. I'm very sorry to hear that. If you need a place to stay, give me a call. :D

I felt a great disturbance in the cellular network, as if millions of T-Mobile subscribers suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced.

(Insert AT&T Deathstar image here.)

Back