ATCS 840 or Xaser VI ??

I'm getting ready to build a new system for the first time in 5 years...

I'm considering the two cases listed here:

ATCS 840 RC-840-KKN1-GP Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower -
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119187

Thermaltake Xaser VI VG4000BNSB Black -
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133080

Basic selections are:
CPU: i7 920 OC to whatever I can run 24/7
Cooler: Thermalright Ultra 120 or IFX-14 (still pondering this one...)
PS: Enermax Revolution 1050w
Motherboard: ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution
RAM: G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
(free w/motherboard) that will be upgraded later
Video: BFG Tech BFGEGTX2951792E GeForce GTX 295
2x 300GB Velociraptors + 2x1TB WD Caviar Black Drives
Burner: Samsung SH-S223Q

Eventually I'll upgrade to an additional GTX 295 + more drives...

Any drawbacks to either of these cases?? Accessability and good cooling are my hot buttons.

Bob - whose speed fix for the last few years has been my $100 '98 FLHRCI

I wouldn't even consider the Thermaltake in comparison to the ATCS 840. The ATCS is a much better quality case. It's also larger, which will give you more room to work in (helpful for when you add the second video card and extra drives), and has larger fans for superior cooling.

ATCS 840 all the way, its huge, aluminum, very well built and very good for cable management.

The ATCS is on an entirely different level of cases.

The ATCS, the Thermaltake shouldn't even be compared to it.

There's also the Silverstone TJ-07, TJ-09 and TJ-10, along with numerous Lian Li cases that are worth considering :)

Quality wise, it's the ATCS, but I think the Xaser will provide better cooling since it is mesh as opposed the solid doors on the ATCS. By how much (if any), no clue ...

Wow an interesting comparison. This is like comparing a Harley to a fully riced out bike. Conservative styling vs ultra extreme. I guess much of this depends on what you want to build. After all, none of us have to live with the rig for the next few years.

Personally I like the Coolermaster like everyone else. Very nice clean style IMO though a bit boring. Since I have no chance to look at the actual cases, its a bit difficult to discuss quality. So for me its about style. I just don't like the Xaser, never did. Thermaltake used to make some decent looking cases like the Armor but recently everything looks like it belongs to the caped crusader (the old Adam West version). JMO.

Wow an interesting comparison. This is like comparing a Harley to a fully riced out bike. Conservative styling vs ultra extreme. I guess much of this depends on what you want to build. After all, none of us have to live with the rig for the next few years.

Personally I like the Coolermaster like everyone else. Very nice clean style IMO though a bit boring. Since I have no chance to look at the actual cases, its a bit difficult to discuss quality. So for me its about style. I just don't like the Xaser, never did. Thermaltake used to make some decent looking cases like the Armor but recently everything looks like it belongs to the caped crusader (the old Adam West version). JMO.

Ive seen both of these cases and the ATCS840 is probably one of the best built cases you can buy. It belongs in the same league as the Stacker 830 and 832. This case looks MUCH better once you see it in person. They also sell windows for it if you like. ;)

Wow an interesting comparison. This is like comparing a Harley to a fully riced out bike. Conservative styling vs ultra extreme.

I guess that says it all...... Busted. I'm old school with the hog and haven't even ridden a rice rocket in 40+ years of riding. Closest I came to that was a Kawasaki 500 in '69.

I like the mounting tray of the 840 as well as having the PS on the bottom vs the Xaser's traditional location. The one thing I liked about the Xaser was the additional card slots since I will at times add some wierd electronics to the MB that need connectors and wires running out of the case.

It's also larger, which will give you more room to work in (helpful for when you add the second video card and extra drives), and has larger fans for superior cooling.

This is exactly the type of info I was looking for comparing the cases rather than how they look. So I've ordered the 840 for the build.

Bob

][V][AGIC;1033957463 said:
was there even a need to post this?

LOL. True that! I just really like that case. Sorry for the OT post.

@Bob Wikerson: Good luck with the build! With that case and the components you've chosen, your new rig looks like a real winner.

ATCS hands down. Thermaltake's quality can't even match the ATCS, especially the steel construction...

my first thoughts...
uhhh Xaser???
that is all
More properly: uhh, Thermaltake?

but I think the Xaser will provide better cooling since it is mesh as opposed the solid doors
Cheese grater sides with fans everywhere are overhyped and just make airflow more complex.
Can you guess from CPU/GPU load temperatures (third graph) which case lacked side fan?
http://plaza.fi/muropaketti/artikke...oler-master-haf-932-ja-thermaltake-armor-mx,4

I did my i7 build in an ATCS 940 and really like it. Coming from a Silverstone TJ09 the CM is much bigger with better cable management and comparable quality. 1 negative is that the side panels are thin.

I flipped the front top fan to make it an intake and it made a huge difference. My load temps with OCCT improved by 14C!

ATCS all the way, own one myself. However, it's a lot bigger than you think, ALOT. Own a HAF also, great case only drawback that i found was the fugly side panel. I perfer the HAF to the ACTS but the fugly side panel made me stick to the ACTS.

I just thought that I'd let y'all know that I went with the ATCS 840 for the build. As my W3520 Xeon arrived yesterday I'm hoping to have time tomorrow to start the build.

Here's my final build list:
Case: ATCS 840
Motherboard: Asus P6T6
CPU: Xeon W3520
CPU Cooler: Xigmatek THOR'S HAMMER HDT-S126384
CPU Cooler Fan:Noiseblocker NB-Multiframe M12-P
Memory: GSkill 6GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Drives: Velociraptor 300G x2 - System Drive
Caviar Black 1TB x2 - Data
Samsung SH-S223Q DVD Burner
Power Supply: ENERMAX REVOLUTION85+ ERV1050EWT
Video: BFG Technologies GeForce GTX260 OCX 896MB x2

I never got the GTX295 that I ordered from Dell though I'm still Backordered.... I'm going to wait it out and see if they ever intend to ship...

After I get it running and updated I'll start OC'n and see how far I get on air....

Bob

I have that themaltake xaser case you are talking about. I really like it.
It is huge and there is plenty of airflow. My machine is really quite. Even more so then the Antec 900 I am coming from. I ripped the stupid push down front cover off.

Honestly I am not sure how you can compare the two. The Styling is so different.
You either want wild styling or (xaser) bland bushiness class styling with the coolermaster. That said Coolermaster makes some great products and I wouldn't hesitate to buy anything they make. The Xaser is basically the Armor with a different front.

Cable management is good. I have the following in the case. EVGA X58 , Core i7, Twin EVGA GTX260's and Corsair 1000W Modular power. Twin OCZ Vertex 60GB drives in Raid 0 (boot). Zalman CNPS9900 LED. 6 GB OCZ ram.

Honestly I am not sure how you can compare the two. The Styling is so different.
You either want wild styling or (xaser) bland bushiness class styling with the coolermaster.

LOL. I guess that describes me quite well. As the sides of my mind war, I'm a combination of the Alex Keaton character, business owner, biker, aerobatic pilot and geek .....Never know which side is running the show on a particular day.

I'm actually deciding between the 840 and Antec 1200.

Both cases make my Thermaltake Armor look like a trash can. :p

Back