Athlon 64 3000+ Stable at 240x10 fsb and mem

MLF

Limp Gawd
I just bought a K8V Deluxe and a 3000+ and I cannot beleive it overclocks this well. 2400 mhz with the fsb and mem at 1:1. I am using 1.6 v core and it is under 100F all the time with my Zalman 7000a-Cu.

Nice FSB OC! You do any extra northbridge cooling or upp the voltage to the northbridge?

How can your agp and pci bus run outa spec like that?

is your HD atatched to a NON PCI bus adapter to teh southbridge?

I am not sure if they're are all via V-Link from southbridge to northbridge.

Actually I just bought it off newegg and was considering not ocing cause it is fast enough. So last night on a whim I just set the multiplyer to 9.5 and the fsb to 225 and it worked. I was a little taken back. Then I got it to post at 250x10 in win 2000. It hard locked on the first program I opened. Now I am running it at 240x10 1:1 and in XP 64 trial edition and have not had any crashes. I can run Q3 and Ut 2003 for about an hour and had no issues. My cooling set up has an antec truepower 430 sucking air up and out with two 80mm antec case fans blowing over the heatsink. After about 3 hours my temps were around 120F which does not seem all that high for air.

I am running a diamond max plus 9 of the the standard ata controller also the only cards I have in is my 9800np. I am using onboard for everything else.

I am running win xp 64 so if you want me to test something I need to know where to get a 64 bit version. Only some of the 32 bit programs can be run in xp65

I ran super pi to 1 million places and got 39 seconds. Also i ran prime 95 for about 20 minutes with no errors. I know most of you run it for hours but I was web browsing at the same time as I ran the prime stress test and it never locked up.

You do realive that if you are running PC3200, you want to run the memory 2:1? The BIOS even says that is the correct setting for DDR400

Originally posted by MLF
I ran super pi to 1 million places and got 39 seconds. Also i ran prime 95 for about 20 minutes with no errors. I know most of you run it for hours but I was web browsing at the same time as I ran the prime stress test and it never locked up.

Browsing web at same time as priming will lower the stress on the cpu due to less resources available to prime. For a real test dont run anything else but prime and set its priority to 10. This will make ur system almost unusable due to prime having 99% of cpu cycles available. If its prime stable like this for an hour then its ok.

:D

When I say 1:1 I dont mean the bios setting I mean that the memory and the fsb are in sync. I know the bios is confusing. I have version 1.03. It seems that several of the settings for divisors do not work. However sandra and cpuz both read the fsb as 240 and the memory as 240x2= 480 ddr.

I ran prime at priority 10 for 58 minutes and the system reached a temp of 114F yet it did not crash and prime stated no errors and no warning had occured after I stopped it.

What ram timings are you running on that thing? Also - Get some benchmarks ASAP ;) Keep us updated and have fun with it.

Bench Marks

640x480

UT2003

Fly 293
Bot 103

QIII

normal 427

Mem Time

2.5-4-4-4 Cmd 1

1.jpg

Here are some more numbers, Sandra looks weird because I had to go back to Win 2000 to run the benches and I am normally unsing Xp 64. The refrence library has not worked since I installed the Win Xp 64 trial.

Pretty sweet man. Right now I'm not in the best of moods since I'm getting laggy jolts all over the place. Figured out that It's motherboard related. I've already Rma'd and I'm going to try a DFI infinity before I throw the towel in and build myself a p4 system. Now that you've got the system - go get the game

I got my mother board cpu and heatsink off newegg for 430 including overnight shippings. I think you should consider athlon 64 before a p4. Even with out overclocking it is very fast.

Originally posted by MLF
I got my mother board cpu and heatsink off newegg for 430 including overnight shippings. I think you should consider athlon 64 before a p4. Even with out overclocking it is very fast.

Do you know what stepping your CPU is?

I'd guess it's after week 50. Just about every 3000+ I've seen after that overclocks like mad. :)

All I can tell you is what CpuZ says, I was in a hurry to replace my old system and never read the heat spreader. CPUZ reports it to be the same old rev SH7-CO and it says its stepping 8. I have no idea if that is enough to tell you anything, since I do not have the information from the heatspreader

I am most suprised that my Corsair XMS 3500 could get over 240 mhz before it locks up. I know it has been said that Athlon 64 is memory picky. Yet my nforce 2 could not get over 200 with this memory. It seems the athlon 64 is letting it clock lock the pentium 4s memory bus.

Originally posted by topslop1
Pretty sweet man. Right now I'm not in the best of moods since I'm getting laggy jolts all over the place. Figured out that It's motherboard related. I've already Rma'd and I'm going to try a DFI infinity before I throw the towel in and build myself a p4 system. Now that you've got the system - go get the game

I'm entertained that you'd RMA and switch to bascially the same board and then goose about switching to intel because you can't figure out how to tune a system. That's funny shit.

To the original poster:
Nice setup. Excellent results.

I'm having pretty good luck with my A64 3000+ as well. Just got it and my Shuttle AN50R the other day. After only a few OC attemtps I am at 235x10 @ 1.55v with 2-3-6-2 timings with my 512MB stick of Mushkin PC3500 level 1 (1:1). Problem is that the AN50R will not work with my ATI 9500 PRO that works in other computers great (but freezes in bios, loses hard drives, etc in the AN50R) so I had to revert to a Geforce2 MX I had in my other computer. Might RMA the motherboard for a different one if I have to though.

By the way what kind of results are people getting when they add memory to the Athlon 64. I know it has been demonstrated that opteron can scale near linear when adding more cpus and memory because of hyperstransport. But does the athlon 64 also like large amounts of memory. Or does performance degrade after like the p4 after about a gig. I only have 256 megs and that would be my next upgrade other than a second mator for raid and a new monitor.

My 3dmarks are

2003 5900
2001 20600

Of course I only have a 9800np and the memory can only run once set at 330.

That's funny, shouldn't your 3dmark be a LITTLE higher, even with the 9800np.. Maybe it's the ram?

The radeon 9800 np is not all that stable on the increase pci bus when the athlon 64 is at 240 fsb. So that could also affect the nature of the 3dmark scores, coupled with the fact that many indidviduals with very high 21000+ scores are using radeons with memory clocks over 330mhz.

Back