Athlon II X2 250 Stock voltage = crazy ?

TeeJay

Gawd
Hi guys...I have just built a PC for my dad's office:

* AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor
ASUS M2N68-AM SE2 AM2+/AM2 NV Geforce 7025 / nForce 630a chipset AMD Motherboard
AOpen Case Bundle, 350 Watts, AOpen Keyboard & Mouse
Mushkin 2GB 800MHz PC2-6400 Standard Performance DIMM Single Stick
LG DVD Writer 22x SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500GB HDD 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA

The CPU's stock voltage is kind of crazy...BIOS, CPU-Z, PC Wizard, all are reporting 1.45v+, and mostly 1.488v

I haven't changed anything from the BIOS, except for booting device priority ...Temps seem to be fine. IDLE @ 21c, Full load @ 33c...

Anyone has the same CPU with the same problem that had fixed it or something?

Any help is appreciated, thank in advance.

Tj

I know it really sucks my X4 630 is at 1.4v. I bought this CPU as a drop in upgrade on an oem PC so I cant adjust the voltage in the bios.

Well, can't I use the advantage of the high stock voltage and OC it without having to take the voltage higher?

I know it really sucks my X4 630 is at 1.4v. I bought this CPU as a drop in upgrade on an oem PC so I cant adjust the voltage in the bios.

Download a program called PhenomMsrTweaker. You'll be able to adjust the voltage and multiplier from within Windows, and can even create a custom Cool 'N Quiet like profile. I've been using it since the Phenom IIs were released, and have had nothing but good experiences with it.

Well, can't I use the advantage of the high stock voltage and OC it without having to take the voltage higher?
Yes, why not. At 1.45v, around 3.5-3.7Ghz should be doable. You can also use the program I mentioned earlier to adjust the voltage to something else if you choose.

http://phenommsrtweake.sourceforge.net/

Hmm...have you checked to see if you have the latest BIOS update? Usually it's necessary to support the latest CPU's properly.

yeah the bios are obviously setting the voltage wrong on that processor.. if im not mistaken it should be around 1.2-1.25v but im not completely sure on that.. but i know for sure 1.45v is way to high.. stock voltage for all phenom II C2's is 1.325v.. also are those load temps based on the bios or based on a temp program like coretemp which reads the temp directly from the processor?

yeah the bios are obviously setting the voltage wrong on that processor.. if im not mistaken it should be around 1.2-1.25v but im not completely sure on that.. but i know for sure 1.45v is way to high.. stock voltage for all phenom II C2's is 1.325v.. also are those load temps based on the bios or based on a temp program like coretemp which reads the temp directly from the processor?

Not CoreTemp, PC Wizard which also reads temps directly from the CPU...So you think with a BIOS flash it'll go back to normal voltage?

Pretty sure stock voltage is suppose to be like 1.4v. I know i undervolt mine down to about 1.2v and it runs fine.

Download a program called PhenomMsrTweaker. You'll be able to adjust the voltage and multiplier from within Windows, and can even create a custom Cool 'N Quiet like profile. I've been using it since the Phenom IIs were released, and have had nothing but good experiences with it.
You can't adjust the core clock multiplier because all Athlon II's have it locked. But yeah, 1.4 isn't correct for the voltage. Here in this bit-tech review they raised the voltage to 1.325 to achieve a stable OC of 3.9Ghz.

You can't adjust the core clock multiplier because all Athlon II's have it locked. But yeah, 1.4 isn't correct for the voltage. Here in this bit-tech review they raised the voltage to 1.325 to achieve a stable OC of 3.9Ghz.

Yeah, I'm so used to people having Black Editions now that I didn't even give his actual CPU a thought. I really hope AMD keeps their upper tier chips unlocked from now on.

Yeah, I'm so used to people having Black Editions now that I didn't even give his actual CPU a thought. I really hope AMD keeps their upper tier chips unlocked from now on.

they will be.. the x6's will have at least 1 high end black edition model for its initial release.. possibly more after that.. black edition processors are one of AMD's major selling points..

Sounds like a mobo problem. Has CMOS been cleared? What does the BIOS report is the voltage?

My 240 reports 1.425. I have undervolted it at stock speed (2.8) to 1.325 and it ran fine and consumed a lot less power.

right now I have it OC'd to 3.44 at 1.4 volts. I think I can get away with 1.375 even. Mine becomes unstable at 255 HT so I cannot go much higher than the 246 I have it at now. I can't complain when I have 640 extra MHz to fold with :cool:

Back