Athlon X2 Is Dead; Long Live Athlon 6000

HardOCP News

[H] News
The folks at DigiTimes are saying that, according to sources at motherboard makers, AMD will soon phase out several Athlon 64 X2 CPUs and launch a new line of dual-core products based on its next-generation architecture.

AMD will stop taking orders for Athlon 64 X2 6400+ black edition and 89W version Athlon 64 X2 6000+ processors in the first quarter of 2008. Last orders for 125W Athlon 64 X2 6000+ and Athlon 64 X2 5600+ processors will be at the end of the first quarter, the sources detailed.

And all this time I've been plugging along with an old Athlon XP OC'd to 2.4ghz. CPU's have been somewhat irrelevant for quite a while now.

And all this time I've been plugging along with an old Athlon XP OC'd to 2.4ghz. CPU's have been somewhat irrelevant for quite a while now.

Irrelevant to most people with day to day web surfing and word processing, but if you do any gaming or encoding cpu power is very important.

missed the most important part "AMD will launch a new series of dual-core products based on its next-generation architecture, Athlon 6000, in the later half of second quarter next year"
phenom duals are coming :)

Irrelevant to most people with day to day web surfing and word processing, but if you do any gaming or encoding cpu power is very important.

Yes to a point. It sure isn't like the old days when your 3yr old P133 just will not play I-76 worth a darn and you do need a P2.

My trusty old Athlon XP Mobile Barton running at 2.5Ghz on my NF2 motherboard still games pretty well, suprisingly.

I thought the whole name "Athlon" wasn't going to be used anymore... Am I just way wrong? I kinda hope I was wrong, I like the name Athlon for some reason.

And, as far as CPU's relevancy to gaming: I'm running a single-core Athlon 64 3800+ at stock 2.4GHz and the only game it hurts me on too badly is Crysis; my friends with 8800GTs and decently-clocked C2Ds kick my butt there, but my processor does just about all I need it to. Encoding music and video is a big ouch, though.

I have no idea what games you all are playing or with what settings but processors do matter very much. Perhaps my jump was more dramatic but I feel the difference hard core. I went from a P4 3.2 Hypter threading Northwood to a E4500. I was beginning to think my x1950 AGP wasn't worth it until I got the new processer I can run just about anygame at 720p where I couldn't before. I can play HD Content like videos from E3 smoothly even without the later FFDshow codecs.

I digress, I see this move as somewhat confusing to the comsumer especially with its recent black edition launch, however I can also see the need for buzz in the AMD camp as well. I can only hope that the replacement chips bring some muscle to the table and keep its pricing competitive.

It's the "later next year" part that's going to kill them. They're behind the curve now with Intel murdering them left and right. The issues with the Phenom, coupled with other issues, are sure to make 2008 a very rocky year for AMD. Not sure they're going to make it into the "later" part of "next year" at this point.

Only time will tell...

I hope I will not see "reversal" news like "Look we have a new CPU, the new improved AMD64 X2! AMD in my opinion needs to take some more pain and get in touch with their computer buyers. I would really love to go back to AMD soon.

I tilt pretty much toward AMD, but as of late I really let all this info pass without putting any stake into it. Unfortunately for AMD they just cannot deliver and soon all the "product will release in the next qtr" jibjab rhetoric will be falling on def ears. The product sounds interesting only as long as it will be compatable with my 690G chipset and out perform the dismal Pheonom. AMD's only hope is that Intel is having issues with 45nm and they can at least close in on Core2 performance before it takes off.

Come on AMD!! whoohoo! :)

And the technology merry go round goes round and round.

Keeping a mobo viable for any length of time is mute. (Yes, I know it's moot, just making fun of people who say it wrong.)

I been looking at upgradeing, the blackbox 6400+ was looking pretty good to me, might just grab a skt 939 Opteron 180 for now and get something a little faster later when I know what socket is going to be sticking around for a while, don't want to upgrade to a dead end.

I hope I will not see "reversal" news like "Look we have a new CPU, the new improved AMD64 X2! AMD in my opinion needs to take some more pain and get in touch with their computer buyers. I would really love to go back to AMD soon.

I agree. With Intel and NVIDIA sitting back and going "we'll wait before we refresh the high end," it helps everyone if AMD catches up.

Sad thing is that AM2 hasn't been around long enough to really sink in yet, and if they replace, it could very well be a failed platform.

And the technology merry go round goes round and round.

Keeping a mobo viable for any length of time is mute. (Yes, I know it's moot, just making fun of people who say it wrong.)

I been looking at upgradeing, the blackbox 6400+ was looking pretty good to me, might just grab a skt 939 Opteron 180 for now and get something a little faster later when I know what socket is going to be sticking around for a while, don't want to upgrade to a dead end.

Sad thing is that AM2 hasn't been around long enough to really sink in yet, and if they replace, it could very well be a failed platform.

AM2+ CPUs, including the ones mentioned here, will work in AM2 motherboards assuming the motherboard manufacturer actually cares about it's customers.

It has also been stated by AMD that AM3 CPUs will work all the way back into AM2 motherboards. Again, this is going to vary by manufacturer. ASUS seems to have quite a few new BIOS up for their M2 series of boards to support Phenom, but they have always been good about this. Gigabyte is pretty on top of it as well now, putting the Phenom as supported in the motherboard description of older AM2 boards on their website.

To be honest, I kind of think AMD should make their own motherboards like Intel does. Then we'd get a real guarantee on the backwards compatibility, but a lot of people who have been in this for a number of years already know what motherboard manufacturers actually care.

Yes to a point. It sure isn't like the old days when your 3yr old P133 just will not play I-76 worth a darn and you do need a P2.

My trusty old Athlon XP Mobile Barton running at 2.5Ghz on my NF2 motherboard still games pretty well, suprisingly.

Ahh.....wonderful memories. That sure was one awesome combo.

seams amd can't get to through it's head that Phenom is a failure overall. Oh lets just push all of our customers over to a platform of fail. This kind of announcement seams too soon, they should let their athlon (939/am2) brand stand till middle of 08

Back