ATI 4870: AC Twin Turbo vs. Scythe "Musashi"

jedolley

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm looking to change out the stock coolers on my crossfire setup and have narrowed my choices down to the two coolers mentioned above. Reviews appear to be very positive for both coolers and they appear to have a similar design. I was hoping to get comments from users of either cooler to help me decide which way to go. I'm currently leaning towards the Scythe due to the large fans, but am still open to suggestions and info.

AC Twin Turbo: http://www.arctic-cooling.com/vga2.php?idx=166

Scythe "Musashi": http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/vga/002/scvms1000_detail.html

Thanks,

JD

You won't be able to run CF with the Scythe as it's more like a 'triple slot' cooler - it's freaking huge!

You won't be able to run CF with the Scythe as it's more like a 'triple slot' cooler - it's freaking huge!

Weird. I thought I had read somewhere that it supported CF and SLI, but you are right. I found the small print on their site that it will occupy 3 slots, so that won't work. I guess that makes my decision pretty easy.

seems there are no decent aftermarket cooling for the 4870 if u factor in the VRMs.

sadly even Thermalright got this wrong with their Trad2

use the base plate from the stock ATI heatsink to cool the VRM and memory, atach the twin turbo to the cpu, worked wonders for me :)

pics pics pics pics!!!

hehe
here you go, there is one more that works decently, but its $39, i'd rather not pay any more and use this, which more then likely works better then a small hs=)
after that i stuck all of the hs and ramsinks somewhere on the plate to beef it up :D

DSC06648.jpg

DSC06649.jpg

DSC06650.jpg

Thanks! I'll be copying you soon as my finals are over. Card and cooler currently sitting in my room staring at me. :C

hehe
here you go, there is one more that works decently, but its $39, i'd rather not pay any more and use this, which more then likely works better then a small hs=)
after that i stuck all of the hs and ramsinks somewhere on the plate to beef it up :D

Nice work

They are expensive that's for sure. I'm selling my 4870 with the twin turbo and custom rams sinks for $220 if your interested :)

They are expensive that's for sure. I'm selling my 4870 with the twin turbo and custom rams sinks for $220 if your interested :)

Already have two 4870s, and just looking to change out the cooling.

my poor 4870 1gb with the PCS+ cooling system on it from powercolor doesnt have the nice aluminum block covering everything :(

just a copper sheet covering the RAM modules and a nice copper heatsink on the VRM's.

im thinking of picking up one of those 4870 ram/VRM cooling assemblies from petra's

edit: this thing
Link

my poor 4870 1gb with the PCS+ cooling system on it from powercolor doesnt have the nice aluminum block covering everything :(

just a copper sheet covering the RAM modules and a nice copper heatsink on the VRM's.

im thinking of picking up one of those 4870 ram/VRM cooling assemblies from petra's

edit: this thing
Link

I believe those are the same sinks Zod has in his pictures in this thread.

Back