Ati 5770 at 2560x1600 with World of Warcraft

Limp Gawd
Hi there all,

Does anyone know if an ATI 5770 card is beefy enough to power WoW at 2560x1600 with all settings on fairly high (except shadows) ? I have a 5870 which I think it a bit of overkill and I'm seriously thinking about selling it and getting the 5770 card which is quieter and more efficient.

The ONLY games I play on PC are WoW, CS:S and everntually Diablo 3 when it comes out... the 360 and PS3 take care of all my other gaming needs so it's really only WoW performance that matters to me really.

I have an i7 860 CPU and WoW runs like butter but I think it's more about the processor than the GPU anyway.

This isn't a direct answer, because I don't have a 5770 or run 2560x1600.

But my HD4870 (1gig)'s with max detail except for shadows @ 1920x1200 has occasional frame rate issues in raid settings. I'm running maxed AA/AF. I'm talking 15-25fps.

So depending on how the HD4870 and HD5770 compare, there's a starting point for you.

As a minor note, unless something has changed that I'm unaware of, WoW still doesn't support Crossfire.

That Res is crazy high for a 5770 and WoW does not make use of any multi GPU platform at the present time

DoubleParadoxx: Your second card will idle while WoW is running. Blizzard's tech knowledge base acknowledges this, and last I read they stated they had no intention of supporting it officially. Having Crossfire on doesn't hurt WoW, but it won't utilize it either. I saw some mention that people had gotten SLI to work when I last looked into it, but I'm not sure if they simply meant "the game loads with SLI now!" or "it's actually using SLI!"

At least, last time I tested a few months back.

Having Crossfire on doesn't hurt WoW, but it won't utilize it either.

-1. Double Paradox is correct. Crossfire works and provides some performance enchancements. If you look at reviews that actually test wow, which is kind of hard to find as reviewers seem more concerned with newer titles, you'll notice with crossfire enabled on a 5870 setup you get 15-20% more performance than a single card alone. Granted, it's no wear near the ideal 90-100% scaling we'd dream about but its a bit of an improvement. From 38 fps to 45 fps at 2560x1600x4xMSAAx16af. I imagine the extra 7 fps makes a bit of a difference towards the game feeling smoother.

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,...X-285-SLI-Multi-GPU-Shootout/Reviews/?page=11

To the OP, I would keep your 5870 in my opinion as Diablo 3 should be more demanding than World of Warcraft I think due to the title being a newer title. In addition, if you noticed, a lot of people had some fps issues going from Wow:BC -> Wow:WOTLK if they had semi-weak hardware due to WOTLK being more demanding. I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happened with Wow: Wotlk -> Wow:Cat. There's also lots of rumors/talk about Cataclysm fairly significantly overhauling the wow engine graphics-wise.

@OP i wouldnt go from a 5870 to a 5770 maybe a 5870 to a 5850. Now if the Res was alot lower then id say go for it but @ 2560x1600 the 5700 series wont push that

That's why I qualified my statements with several "last time I checked's. I'll retest tonight and hopefully see the same results (However small an improvement).

I would guess that you'd be better off with a 4870 or 4890 due to the increased memory bandwidth vs the 5770 for such a high resolution. Tradeoff, of course, is that you lose DX11 and in power consumption.

Thanks for the feedback guys, looks like I'll keep the 5870 for a while then. I was thinking that if BLizzard keep pusing the GPU each expansion pack then having a bit of extra power for Catalysm is probably a good move.

Cheers

Back