ATI 5870 review up incl. crossfire!

doesn't look that great. Crossfire is looking pretty well, seems to scale very well with most games. Otherwise the single card itself doesn't look all that amazing. Maybe it's just because of drivers, but otherwise not that impressive. Looks like Nvidia might be winning this round. I'm still very much liking Eyefinity technology though, that would be a reason for me to upgrade especially if LCD's go down in price.

I'll wait for my final opinion from HardOCP review, but if these numbers are true really not that big of an improvement over there other cards. Still pretty decent numbers don't get me wrong. I guess I was just expecting more?

Uh, it's a single GPU faster than a 4870X2? I'd say that's a pretty sizeable gain over a RV770

Anywho.. 6 hours remaining

i love the power graphs they have, amazing

doesn't look that great. Crossfire is looking pretty well, seems to scale very well with most games. Otherwise the single card itself doesn't look all that amazing. Maybe it's just because of drivers, but otherwise not that impressive. Looks like Nvidia might be winning this round. I'm still very much liking Eyefinity technology though, that would be a reason for me to upgrade especially if LCD's go down in price.

I'll wait for my final opinion from HardOCP review, but if these numbers are true really not that big of an improvement over there other cards. Still pretty decent numbers don't get me wrong. I guess I was just expecting more?

a single card is matching gtx295/gtx285 sli and thats not impressive?

okay...

The crossfire scaling looks impressive... I want two :( but not sure I want to put out the cash for both instead of just one... 2560x1600 shows amazing gains with xfire.

Yeah, 2x faster is pretty darn impressive. nVidia hasn't given ANY info, I don't see how anyone can say "looks like nVidia may be winning this round"

are you kidding me, the card was pretty damn fast. NO, AA it is ok but if you dont wanna use AA, than what is the point of upgrading because other than crysis I don't think there is any other game that would stress this card, only way to see how good it is with current games is turn on the AA and and see what happens. it almost doubles in a lot of games, but they didn't test a whole lot of games, take world in conflict for an example, it never ran good on ati hardware, even though they have increased it quite a bit with driver updates it still performs bad, although I have a gtx 260 right now and hd 4870 both in two systems at my house, there are just some games that run like crap on ati period, no matter how good their hardware is. all said and done, I don't know when people would be satisfied, I mean the card nearly doubles the performance and I am sure in newer games it will probably be more than that as they stress the components further, you will see the other cards take bigger hit and the newer cards take less of a hit, I am sure the next thing ati would be doing is going with 512bit memory bus with 32nm, cuz eventually there will be a time in a year or two where the card will be severely limited with memory bandwidth as the gpu gets more powerful, but so far it should be enough.

Last edited:
doesn't look that great. Crossfire is looking pretty well, seems to scale very well with most games. Otherwise the single card itself doesn't look all that amazing.

I'll wait for my final opinion from HardOCP review, but if these numbers are true really not that big of an improvement over there other cards.

Silly me, I thought a nearly 2x increase in performance over the previous high end single card solution with only a bit more power usage was really good.

Silly me, I thought a nearly 2x increase in performance over the previous high end single card solution with only a bit more power usage was really good.
yeah you can't imagine the powaaah of gt300 just wait .....

Seems that the leaked benchies were mostly right, it holds it's own against the 295 pretty well and beats pretty much any setup when in crossfire.

link just went out after i finished looking through it. but yeah, numbers are what i was expecting based on what was already leaked. not any noticeable bottlenecking in most games, even with xfire, unless the game was already extremely cpu limited. all in all, a huge step up over the 4870. 2 thumbs up!

Last edited:
looked at the numbers again, I was mainly comparing the 5870 vs. the GTX285

Yes the 5870 does better than the 285, but not by a huge margin. Once you up the settings it does pretty well against beating it. My reasoning for what I'm saying is that I believe Nvidia can up their numbers just as much as ATI did here. Thus, Nvidia might win this round. Of course if they can't do the same then ya ATI kicked their ass. If Nvidia though does indeed see the same improvement especially because they are supposed to have a new core, not just copy/paste like they've been doing lately.

Trust me I want to see ATI win, look at my name :/

I just expect Nvidia to see the same margins is all. Mainly I wanted to see ATI with greater benchmarks just so then Nvidia couldn't compete with it and I could finally laugh at my Nvidia fanboy manager.

I personally really want ATI to win for about a year to gain some market + money so then AMD can compete again with Intel in the CPU market.

I'm not saying the card is shitty by any means, I just wanted a little higher numbers because I truly do think that Nvidia will be getting numbers around the same.

So what I'm seeing is a single 5870 is just about on par with a gtx295. Aside from other details the price is what will make or break it for me, if its cheaper it just might be enough to bring me over the the red team. Less monies spent on a gpu = more for everything else.

amd needs 512 bit again imho 2000 series day are over this card is beast and needs more bandwith

It looks to be about 33% faster than a GTX285 on average and trades blows with a 4870x2. Good power consumption, especially idle, which is the important value. Still noisy, but I suppose someone will release a more quiet cooling solution later. Not spectacular as some people make it out, but a move in the right direction. A reasonable incremental increase.

Last edited:
Looks like I'm waiting on a 5870X2, then maybe throwing in 5870 for Tri-fire (if they've got the scaling down)

Now just wondering if we'll see the 5870X2 coming with 2GB or 4GB...

Unless of course Nvidia does something between now and then.

:rolleyes: Riiighhht..

yeah you can't imagine the powaaah of gt300 just wait .....

Trolling >= Posting irrelevant/speculative information. You are a troll.

Anywho, VERY promising numbers so far. Pretty sure I'm gonna ditch this GTX 280 for a 5850 at least. I'll here at midnight waiting for the [H] review! I never go to bed before 1 AM anyways, hah.

yup pulled down, haha, I went through once to look at benches, and the second time I was actually reading through and the pages stopped loading.

It looks to be about 33% faster than a GTX285 on average and trades blows with a 4870x2. Good power consumption, especially idle, which is the important value. Still noisy, but I suppose someone will release a more quiet cooling solution later. Not spectacular as some people make it out, but a move in the right direction. A reasonable incremental increase.

You mean a 4870x2. But yes price will be an advantage but not really for the 5870, but for all GPU's.

you ll see the difference n dx 11 games when tesellation etc will be used ;)

It's back up... it said DATABASE ERROR before, think they were overloaded with traffic.

I hope so; and that cards like this help software developers push the boundaries. Bit disappointed in the lack of games that really push the boundaries for graphics - gaming graphics are still extremely primitive and still mostly look like cartoons - not even close to immersive. Partially the fault of consoles and piracy.

As I said, a move in the right direction, but an incremental step for today's games.

Yeah, 2x faster is pretty darn impressive. nVidia hasn't given ANY info, I don't see how anyone can say "looks like nVidia may be winning this round"

I suppose you could if they were giving you something for it. I mean, if Nvidia sent me a million dollars cash, I could, once, post something innocuous that I don't necessarily believe. No less than a million, though.

well not only that, if you use AA and the max settings it actually almost doubles the gtx 285 in a lot of instances, so that really says it all that almost all games right now if they run fine on gtx 285 you won't really see the true power of the card unless you turn on AA to max and see what happens, it just proves that lets say in dirt2 and other dx11 games you might see it double the gtx 285 in almost all games due to tessellation and more power to do AA. and all the other goodies.

Hey why not any overclocking results, I mean I don't think I wouldn't wanna overclock the card if I had it since they literally ask you to do it in the control panel.

now all I want from the 6870 is the power of 512bit bus on 32nm, I mean sooner or later ati is going to need that bandwidth no matter how fast gddr5 gets, because as the core gets faster it is going to need higher bandwidth, I honestly do believe that even if they had 512bit bus on 5870 it would give all that horse power some room to breath in. I would say it would add another 10-15% to the 5870 performance.

Anywho, VERY promising numbers so far. Pretty sure I'm gonna ditch this GTX 280 for a 5850 at least. I'll here at midnight waiting for the [H] review! I never go to bed before 1 AM anyways, hah.

The 5870 isn't massively faster than your current card, and that's the high end offering with the 5850 being less powerful. The ATI release looks impressive, and may lead to a readjustment of the price/performance leaders, but is not compelling if you own a high end card already.

For people with mid-range cards like the GTX260 or 4870, it's going to be a great upgrade.

And yeah, I'm looking forward to the [H] review as I actually hope I'm wrong and it does make a great upgrade for the GTX280 (etc.) ;)

And this is why you should never take AMD's own benchmark crap as any sign of truth. Well, there is truth but it was way too exaggerated. I was expecting a lot more, almost buying into the "omg, will be 2x of the old stuff!!!".

And this is why you should never take AMD's own benchmark crap as any sign of truth. Well, there is truth but it was way too exaggerated. I was expecting a lot more, almost buying into the "omg, will be 2x of the old stuff!!!".
uhm i thought it was on par ..... but we all know how crappy are toms reviews so i will wait for H review

omg it i 2x the 4870, did I miss anything. if you are gonna play at 1680x1050 and use no aa than ofcourse there is no need for a newer card even a gtx 250 would do the job.

Scratches head, what review were you reading lowteckh?

Oh and lol at the ignorant toms comment. I have seen every site on the internet get slated and yet, you fail big time.

What you should have said is I, capital I believe that *insert reviewers name* does bad reviews because* insert reason other than opinion*.

These reviews do not come out of thin air. People write them just like here where you know who writes them, if you have a problem go comment in the articles comments page.

I am sick and tired of people going on about how hardocp is crap, anandtech is crap, toms is crap etc etc. Not, that writer needs fired because...

I'm disappointed that the 57XX series isn't ready, but I guess that is to be expected. The 5850 / 5870 look sweet though and if I had the money I'd buy one(and a new monitor, for those that would point out my current one).

As far as I can tell, this isn;t that far off what AMD told us. They compared it to the 295 in temrs of fps, and look, beating the 295 by a little in almost every case.

Back