ATI 9.2 is up

Not much in the way of game improments...
Catalyst™ 9.2 brings performance benefits in several cases where framerates are
CPU-limited. Some measured examples are:
• Crysis DX10 gains up to 20%
• Crysis Warhead DX10 gains up to 20%
• World in Conflict gains up to 5%

My media server's running an x800XL All-in-Wonder... At this point does it really make a difference to update the driver version if you're running something pre-R600?

How can a graphics card driver bring improve performance when your CPU limited?

BSOD's after installing on top of 9.1. I then tried a clean install with driver sweeper but it's the same thing. I can get in to VGA mode but I get an error that CCC is incompatible with the graphics driver.

Seems fine with L4D.

BSOD's after installing on top of 9.1. I then tried a clean install with driver sweeper but it's the same thing. I can get in to VGA mode but I get an error that CCC is incompatible with the graphics driver.

Did you install the whole package? CCC + drivers? I just used the drivers themselves.

How can a graphics card driver bring improve performance when your CPU limited?

The video drivers need a bit of cpu power on their own. If you're cpu limited and they found a way to either multithread or optimize them further that would free up some more resources.

The video drivers need a bit of cpu power on their own. If you're cpu limited and they found a way to either multithread or optimize them further that would free up some more resources.

Makes sense. Doesn't seem like it would be that much of an improvement though, since most CPU usage is from the game engine, that GPU drivers have nothing to do with.

has anyone tried this driver with 4850x2?

What do you want to know--if the 9.2s install on the 4850 X2? A simple glance at the release notes would tell you that.

I'm installing the 9.2s on my 4850 X2 as I type, and I'll post benchmarks in the 4850 X2 thread.

did it fix the Warhammer Online crash to desktop problem that 9.1's caused?

the fc2 skipping problem still is not fixed. i don't care that much though...the game is horrible. fallout 3 feels like it's running a little smoother i think.

the fc2 skipping problem still is not fixed. i don't care that much though...the game is horrible. fallout 3 feels like it's running a little smoother i think.

What skipping problem is that ???? I have not noticed it yet

has anyone tried this driver with 4850x2?

I installed with my 4850's in crossfire. Install went normally. I had BSOD on the 8.12s, and I skipped the 9.1's. Just did the normal method...uninstall, reboot, install, reboot. Came up perfect this time. :D

They managed to improve Crysis performance with 20% just by improving the drivers?

They managed to improve Crysis performance with 20% just by improving the drivers?

to me they made it worst by 100%. Crossfire doesnt work anymore without crashing and now it runs like shit! GG Ati.

well i've seen other ati users complaining about the same thing. it's only present when running the game with dx10, dx9 works ok.

Confirmed. Demo has weird places where it feels like it's loading data. Like those old console games.

I doubt my 4.0Ghz core i7 and 6GB of DDR 1693 are the bottleneck...

But oooo look. Shiny download buttons!

Use the set max fps at 30 trick that is posted on some gaming websites, it will fix the problem.'

I would post the link for you but I have to get going. :)

Makes sense. Doesn't seem like it would be that much of an improvement though, since most CPU usage is from the game engine, that GPU drivers have nothing to do with.

The DirectX API itself is also in need of multi core optimisation. In fact part of DX11's big new thing is that part of its components are multi threading friendly.

The DirectX API itself is also in need of multi core optimisation. In fact part of DX11's big new thing is that part of its components are multi threading friendly.

Bingo. DirectX itself can be a bottleneck at times.

Is it just me, or did the 8.12 multi-core hotfix not make it into the 9.2s either?

still, this driver still worse than 8.12HF, but FEAR 2 does have a lot better result....

beside that....huh....

-----------------------------------------------

Another test on L4D, the FPS drop from 130-140 to 90-100 from starting level

Great, so now I'm not sure if I should bother or not with the 8.12 on my 2x 4850. Even though I don't think what I've got is as good as it could be, I think I'm going to stick with that I've got if it ain't totally broke rather than potentially waste my time installing and falling back. Good ol ATI drivers, pfft.

I finally have AA in DX 10 in LOTRO and a few more FPS to boot. So it was good for me.

Bingo. DirectX itself can be a bottleneck at times.

Is it just me, or did the 8.12 multi-core hotfix not make it into the 9.2s either?

It is in, that was said in the release note. Although it appears that the infamous power play bug is back.

Can anyone confirm whether HD DXVA acceleration is still broken in WinXP? (9.1 broke it)

waiting till further testing is documented with P45 2x4850 configurations before I jump on board...

Back