ATi Crossfire Tested

Status
Not open for further replies.
·PitBuLL· said:
Is that just the master card alone? That's very impressive...

It's 2 x850 cards and one of them is the master. This is definitely very promising performance since it nearly keeps up with 7800 GTX SLI so Crossfire should do very well once they iron out these few bugs.

very impressive. x850 vs a 7800. x850 seems to be keeping up, its older tech at that, but im not gonna hold this info, not until i hear the reviews from actual people on [H]ard forum.

Boozer said:
very impressive. x850 vs a 7800. x850 seems to be keeping up, its older tech at that, but im not gonna hold this info, not until i hear the reviews from actual people on [H]ard forum.

Well when the final retail version is released I bet the numbers will only go up considering this preview used pre-release hardware and drivers. If x850 in xfire can nearly keep up with an expensive 7800 GTX SLI setup, imagine what the R520 in xfire will do. :) I probably won't end up getting a Xfire setup since I've spent too much money and time on an nforce 4 rig but at least there will finally be some competition.

yeah, theres no way im getting a crossfire or sli setup. i dont want the trouble being i upgrade so often. i just think its really cool how we have so much more hardware power. 4 years ago i was on 128meg ram, 300mhz processor and onboard video playing flight simulator.

Even with the bugs I do not think that the system given to Anandtech is that far from what we will see at retail. As usual we will probably see one system, SLI or crossfire, in the lead over the other depending on what game is being run.

MFZ said:
Well when the final retail version is released I bet the numbers will only go up considering this preview used pre-release hardware and drivers. If x850 in xfire can nearly keep up with an expensive 7800 GTX SLI setup, imagine what the R520 in xfire will do. :)

About all you can do is Imagine....................

CMAN said:
About all you can do is Imagine....................

For now anyway since they haven't paper launched and nobody knows what R520 will be like. But given X850's performance in Xfire, it isn't far fetched to assume the R520 Xfire should be quite a bit faster.

Well it seems to be pretty quick...but I must say I'm surprised to learn that the drivers are still so immature...the new AA modes not working yet? Control panel AA not working AT ALL? I find that shocking...this thing is supposed to be less than a month from release and it appears to be nowhere near final yet...

I wonder if the stuff Gigabyte sent Anand was the most updated revisions of the firmware and drivers...

I really just want to see how the new AA modes look, especially in comparison to Nvidia's new modes, plus performance comparisons considering Nvidia's 8x aa mode is quoted as quite slow

Looks good to me. I'm glad they are getting things working right be4 releasing it. I can just imagine buying a dual card set-up that's full of bugs and shit and not getting anywhere with it for months until finally, proper drivers and profiles start showing up. That would piss me off. Glad to see Crossfire will come out when its ready and working.

Looks like getting 1x 7800GTX's would be a better idea. Since 1 can beat 2x ATI's in Crossfire according to the charts. To me it looks like 7800GTX in SLi is limited by the CPU.

XSNiper said:
Looks like getting 1x 7800GTX's would be a better idea. Since 1 can beat 2x ATI's in Crossfire according to the charts. To me it looks like 7800GTX in SLi is limited by the CPU.

Were you looking the same charts everyone else? The ones at Anandtech.com? 1 7800GTX either ties or looses to the X850s. It doesn't win except in the UT2004 test.

XSNiper said:

I think you are right, I would like them bump that AA up past 4x and see what kind of performace hit the crossfire takes

its funny, performance is nothing like those charts they released :rolleyes:

gotta love it when people blost scores :rolleyes:

and the GTX's STILL beat it in HL2...

and dont gimme that its pre release hardware, the scores are inaccurate crap lol, the scores on the charts were with even earlier hardware -_-

2x performance in Far Cry, 40% improvement in Doom 3...

My only concern is that the performance increase seems to rely on the drivers. I thought that crossfire wouldn't require driver 'profiles' like SLI does. I'd also like to see how Crossfire performs in the other rendering modes (AFR/Scissor).

Still, it's cool stuff. Good to see ATi is pulling through.

Mister E said:
Looks good to me. I'm glad they are getting things working right be4 releasing it. I can just imagine buying a dual card set-up that's full of bugs and shit and not getting anywhere with it for months until finally, proper drivers and profiles start showing up. That would piss me off. Glad to see Crossfire will come out when its ready and working.

...yeah I'm sure all the guys that have had SLi for 7 months really regret it and wish they waited for CrossFire, which is way buggier now than SLi ever was...

would someone please explain to me how paper launching an extremely buggy product 7 months behind the competition is a "good thing"?

^eMpTy^ said:
...yeah I'm sure all the guys that have had SLi for 7 months really regret it and wish they waited for CrossFire, which is way buggier now than SLi ever was...

would someone please explain to me how paper launching an extremely buggy product 7 months behind the competition is a "good thing"?

I think hes trying to say its a good thing that ATI is taking its time rather than pushing a buggy pile of shit out of the door, granted it is an awful paper launch. But remember, when nVidia first released SLi it had its problems too.

^eMpTy^ said:

TruthInRuin said:
I think hes trying to say its a good thing that ATI is taking its time rather than pushing a buggy pile of shit out of the door, granted it is an awful paper launch. But remember, when nVidia first released SLi it had its problems too.

BAM!! Try again ^empty^.

Yes, that looks really nice. Lets all get together again in the fall and check on it. LOL Don't want them to feel hurried.

And dont forget this is compatible with ANY game - not a select few NVIDIA chooses to take their sweet ass time testing out.

^eMpTy^ said:

:rolleyes:

Yeah even when sli was being developed first time they tried it BAM up and running with full speed and no bugs no crashes or anything. What a statement... "its buggier than sli ever was". Probably because nvidia took their sweet time to show sli they waited till it was in a good enough working order to send test samples to websites. From the looks of this this is just something gigabyte arranged and not ati. Im sure when ati thinks its ready the review sites will have their samples. Saying somethings buggy when;

a. its not yet finished
b. theres no way of knowing how old the drivers for either the card or the motherboard were or even how stable they were.

just comes off as plain stupid, its buggy because its still not ready. Theres no way they'd release it the way it is, and as stated before the drivers etc anandtech used could have been well oudated with better performing drivers in the works.

Untill ati send it to the sites for preview, statements of "omg" it r teh buggy" are useless pointless and most of all dumb. Lets all keep our pants on and wait till the offical previews\reviews begin.

Oh and before i forget

"........................................................" <- has to be done seeing its the cool thing to do these days

TruthInRuin said:

Pfft. Not like "no control panel AA" and a crappy ULI southbridge. I've had four different SLI sets, am currently running a 6800GT SLI and 7800GTX SLI rig, have NEVER had problems other than SLI not working on a brand new game. (eg Riddick)

Crossfire is DOA, will only be of use when R520 arrives. Why would anyone want 2 SM 2 cards in Q3 2005?!?!? W/O R520, Crossfire blows chunks. Same problem as X850XT PE has:
"OK it's faster in some benches. What about SM3, soft shadows, and HDR- all implemented in current games and making an IQ difference for people with nV4X cards?"

Rollo said:
Pfft. Not like "no control panel AA" and a crappy ULI southbridge. I've had four different SLI sets, am currently running a 6800GT SLI and 7800GTX SLI rig, have NEVER had problems other than SLI not working on a brand new game. (eg Riddick)

Something wrong with you? I love how people read into previews of unfinished hardware and seem to think they can pass judgement on it like its finished and on sale. :rolleyes:

I was a ATI fanby until i brought home 2 XFX GTX-OCs and started seeing what games are supposed to llok like, You cant mess with HALF LIFE 2 running at 16XAA and 16 X Anti

Plays like a DREAM!

MrGuvernment said:
And dont forget this is compatible with ANY game - not a select few NVIDIA chooses to take their sweet ass time testing out.

ATIs Crossfire is NOT COMPATIBLE WITH ANY GAME. :rolleyes:

Good lord, if I see this once more I will retch.

ATI has AFR profiles, just like nVidia.

ATI has two default "fallback" SLI types: tiling and scissors for non- profiled games. They aren't guaranteed to offer benefit. :rolleyes: nVidia has one default "fallback" SLI type for non profiled games. Either way, you have to test it.

The reason ATI has been saying all along "all games compatible" is 14X AA. Guess what? nVidia has 16X.

You need to learn before posting.

Kytle or Brent can back me here, all I say is true. The main "difference" in Crossfire vs SLI tiling, and having one more form of SLI isn't that huge a deal.

Chris_B said:
Something wrong with you? I love how people read into previews of unfinished hardware and seem to think they can pass judgement on it like its finished and on sale. :rolleyes:

You mean like all the guys here looking at those buggy benches and saying "Crossfire rox!" :confused:

You know what Crossfire REALLY is?
One year late. We've had this level of performance, with a more advanced feature set, from nVidia since last NOVEMBER. It will be AUGUST 2005 in a week, and ATI still doesn't have this working to the extent you can even turn on SLI.

This is a sad joke. :(

Marcdaddy said:
I was a ATI fanby until i brought home 2 XFX GTX-OCs and started seeing what games are supposed to llok like, You cant mess with HALF LIFE 2 running at 16XAA and 16 X Anti

Plays like a DREAM!

Great choice of screen shot, i can see jaggies on the wall to the left closest you, i can see jaggies on the greyish roof on the left hand side, i can see jaggies on the chimneys on the right hand side. I can see jaggies on the towerblock in the distance plus on the building 2 over from the tower block, i can see jaggies on the scanner just coming on the screen.....

Crossfire is looking pretty good, unfortunately I already settled with SLI, Nvidia wins my money this round.

Rollo said:
You mean like all the guys here looking at those buggy benches and saying "Crossfire rox!" :confused:

You know what Crossfire REALLY is?
One year late. We've had this level of performance, with a more advanced feature set, from nVidia since last NOVEMBER. It will be AUGUST 2005 in a week, and ATI still doesn't have this working to the extent you can even turn on SLI.

This is a sad joke. :(

From a performance standpoint it looks good, from a stability standpoint its anyones guess as we've nothing to go by besides unauthorised tests on hardware and software that could be months old

They might as well show benchmarks for a quad core Athlon 64 or a 200 terabyte hard drive, because just like Crossfire they are not for sale. Until I see benchmarks for cards that can be purchased at Newegg or a similar store these are just made up prototypes.

Chris_B said:
Great choice of screen shot, i can see jaggies on the wall to the left closest you, i can see jaggies on the greyish roof on the left hand side, i can see jaggies on the chimneys on the right hand side. I can see jaggies on the towerblock in the distance plus on the building 2 over from the tower block, i can see jaggies on the scanner just coming on the screen.....

Why don't you check out mine then?

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1403308

PRIME1 said:
They might as well show benchmarks for a quad core Athlon 64 or a 200 terabyte hard drive, because just like Crossfire they are not for sale. Until I see benchmarks for cards that can be purchased at Newegg or a similar store these are just made up prototypes.

True. Vaporware and paperlaunches only serve manufacturers stalling for time.

Rollo said:

Crossfire is DOA, will only be of use when R520 arrives. Why would anyone want 2 SM 2 cards in Q3 2005?!?!? W/O R520, Crossfire blows chunks. Same problem as X850XT PE has:
"OK it's faster in some benches. What about SM3, soft shadows, and HDR- all implemented in current games and making an IQ difference for people with nV4X cards?"

Crappy ULI southbridge? Wow you're a moron. :rolleyes:

MFZ said:
Crappy ULI southbridge? Wow you're a moron. :rolleyes:

Really? "ULI" is "ALI"- Acer Labs Incorporated. Not really a tier one chipset maker, are they sport? Why don't you link us to some hot ticket, reknowned ALI or ULI motherboard chipsets that have 1/10 the sales of nVidia, Intel, or VIA.

ALI/ULI is cheap crap even compared to POSis. :eek:

Prove me wrong or retract, mouthy.

Rollo said:
Really? "ULI" is "ALI"- Acer Labs Incorporated. Not really a tier one chipset maker, are they sport? Why don't you link us to some hot ticket, reknowned ALI or ULI motherboard chipsets that have 1/10 the sales of nVidia, Intel, or VIA.

ALI/ULI is cheap crap even compared to POSis. :eek:

Prove me wrong or retract, mouthy.

ULI is a brand new offshoot company (yes formerly ALI). As for links, here: http://anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2471

Anandtech said:
There are several questions that really need answering in our first look at the new ULi M1695/M1567 chipset. First and foremost, how does it compare to the excellent performance of the NVIDIA nForce4 chipset? Our brief testing here confirms that the ULi competes very well against NVIDIA, and is a performance drop-in to the NVIDIA performance levels. This is very good news for those shopping for Athlon 64 Socket 939 boards. ULi is a solid choice and competition means better buys for you. It will likely still be a month to 6 weeks before you will see retail M1695/M1567 boards for sale, but make no mistake that the ULi is a very good choice, featuring excellent performance.

Like I said, you're a moron. Your nVidia trolling won't work here at the [H], son.

TruthInRuin said:

This is NOT a launch. It's a preview from Anandtech because they were lucky enough to get a non-retail sample board from a 3rd party.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back