ATI or Nvidia for 2407?

blacklotus

n00b
Which brand should i go with when deciding my next card? From my readings in this forum, the Nvidias have better drivers and better scaling than the ATIs for larger monitors; is this true?

They are both good but Nvidia is a better bang per buck also run cooler and less power usuage.

blacklotus said:
Which brand should i go with when deciding my next card? From my readings in this forum, the Nvidias have better drivers and better scaling than the ATIs for larger monitors; is this true?

Drivers are about equal at least for windows gamings, higher res tends to favor ATi, but it all depends on the price points your going after. As blacklotus said nV tends to have better performance cards for a certain price range. Really depends on the cards you are looking at though.

BTW 2407 you have a very long life expectacy :eek:

Yea I was trying to figure out the same thing. I am leaning towards a x1900xt as they seem to be dropping everyday since it's getting closer to 1950 launch.

The sapphire retail one on newegg looks good. $289 after rebate.

I would not go dual gpu until DX10 at this particular time. Running a 2405 on a 7900GTX and it runs just fine. The only game to cause it issues is Oblivion, and then you just have to run a feature or two down from top and that goes ok too.

$.02

At 1920*1200 you want SLI or crossfire, with a X1900XTX or 7900GTX your going to be dropping details and in allot of games you will have to loose AA to keep performance up...

You can wait for the X1950XTX but at the end of the day its just a X1900XTX with faster memory so it remains to be seen if it can compete with multi gpu solutions.

as said before its all in the drivers which are constantly being stolin, copied over, edited, and kicked under a differant color banner. today ati will have the better driver, tomorrow Nvidia will have it.

but >$300 for an X1900XT sounds schveet.

Shocky said:
At 1920*1200 you want SLI or crossfire, with a X1900XTX or 7900GTX your going to be dropping details and in allot of games you will have to loose AA to keep performance up...

Im sure a single 7900GTX/X1900XTX is sufficient enough to enjoy my games with a "24 monitor. I don't think it will affect me that much playing my games at 90% details. Now back to the original post; i heard ATI cards don't have scaling settings and that the drivers are buggy.

Shocky said:

You can wait for the X1950XTX but at the end of the day its just a X1900XTX with faster memory so it remains to be seen if it can compete with multi gpu solutions.
QFT
20 inch monitor - One card is fine
24 you'll want too cards if you don't plan on dropping any details.

spade357 said:
Im sure a single 7900GTX/X1900XTX is sufficient enough to enjoy my games with a "24 monitor. I don't think it will affect me that much playing my games at 90% details. Now back to the original post; i heard ATI cards don't have scaling settings and that the drivers are buggy.

imo, no its not... I upgrading from an X1900XTX on my main rig because the performance wasnt good enough for me, I don't like playing without AA and dropping ingame settings.. X1900XTX is now in my other rig which only has a 19" so its limited to 1280*1024 which it can handle pretty well.

xenogears said:
The 2407 has scaling options on the monitor, so it doesn't need to do it from the drivers.

The 2407 doesn't allow scaling 1600x1200 on any input for some stupid reason, so it will present a problem for any 4:3 game that you want to run with black bars on the side with no interpolation.

Shocky said:
imo, no its not... I upgrading from an X1900XTX on my main rig because the performance wasnt good enough for me, I don't like playing without AA and dropping ingame settings.. X1900XTX is now in my other rig which only has a 19" so its limited to 1280*1024 which it can handle pretty well.

Shocky, you're probably one of the extreme gamers in this forum so i hear yah, but i read somewhere in the "display forums" that a 7900GT is good enough for his Dell 2407 monitor. Im just a casual gamer.

Back