ATI Powerplay Bug [Discussion Merge]

Figured it out. Turns out I had accidently made the whole ATI/ACE folder read only. For some reason that caused CCC to not operate correctly.

I tried the fix but don't seem to get the files mentioned. The folder doesn't have five files, only one called Profiles.xml and it only has three lines in it.

Anyone else see this?

Thinking of scrapping the 3850 for a 9600GT and be rid of all these stupid issues.

Does anyone know where these files are located under Vista 64? It looks like Microsoft moved the standard "Documents and Settings" folders, etc..

Does anyone know where these files are located under Vista 64? It looks like Microsoft moved the standard "Documents and Settings" folders, etc..

Not sitting in front of my Vista machine, but this is kind of out of memory...

Look under:

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE

Or I might have part of that reversed:

C:\Users\Username\Local\AppData\ATI\ACE

I tried the fix but don't seem to get the files mentioned. The folder doesn't have five files, only one called Profiles.xml and it only has three lines in it.

Anyone else see this?

Thinking of scrapping the 3850 for a 9600GT and be rid of all these stupid issues.

You won't see five files until you create a new profile.

Yea, we've seen a bunch of different brands, but not all cards. I think something must have gone wonky with some bios on some cards.

Again though, ATI is aware of it and working on it apparently. We'll see what happens.

Even with this temp fix the cards i have are running great. So will a real fix and more driver revisions, it can only get better.

Is there any way to set the profile to automatically load at startup so I don't have to enable it everytime I start my computer?

You won't see five files until you create a new profile.

Yeah, I know that. If you read my post it said I tried the fix but didn't get the files. That means I actually created a profile like it says to.

Love how people reply without reading what they are replying to.

Before I go on with the fix, do you think ATI will release an official fix in the next driver release since they know about the issue?

Yeah, I know that. If you read my post it said I tried the fix but didn't get the files. That means I actually created a profile like it says to.

Love how people reply without reading what they are replying to.

Did you try cleaning and reinstalling the drivers? Also, were you able to unlock ATI Overdrive?

Before I go on with the fix, do you think ATI will release an official fix in the next driver release since they know about the issue?

From what is going around on the Visiontek forums, it may be a BIOS fix as well. Who knows if/when either of them will come out. Or maybe they'll fix it during the next hardware release.

Sorry for an off topic post but I just wanna give some tips regarding the fan profile based on my own observation with my HD3870.

It seems that the fan speed would only change in steps like:
30% => 60% => 90% but you can't go from 30% => 90% directly
or 25% => 50% => 100%
or 20% => 40% => 80% but not 20% => 80% and vise versa.

Going directly from 25% to 60% or 30% to 70% is almost impossible for me.

To create a fully functional automatic fan profile, it is recommended to test first whether your choosen fan speed could go to your next choosen speed or not.

Normally you can go to any other speed from 100% fan speed or from the lowest fan speed so sometimes when you created a fan profile, you can change the fan speed to the speed that you want initially but when you want it to work automatically, your fan speed didn't change at all. This is caused by the fan speed that can't jump from your first selected speed to the next speed.

I hope that you can understand what I'm trying to say because I think that it is hard for me to explain it with words. The best way to understand this is by creating a lot of fan profiles first using a 5% speed jump between them and then try for yourself to see which speed can jumps to which other speed directly.

Sometimes when you set the fan speed to let say 55%, you will get an actual fan speed of 54%, then when you created a profile, and later change the fan speed using the created profile, you will then get 53%. So in a situation like this, when I want a 55% fan speed profile, firstly I set the speed at 57%, then I will get the actual speed of 56%. After that, I create a fan profile, then when I change the fan speed using the profile, I will get the 55% speed that I want in the first place.

Not off topic at all. :) I noticed some of the same things. I can't imagine running my fan at 100, or even 80%, as I found it really screams over 40%.

I'm using:
30% @ <50C
60% @<65C
90% @ >65C

For me it is the best compromise for noise/heat and my card wouldn't reach 65C at all since I also have a case with 25cm fan at the side.

I'm using:
30% @ <50C
60% @<65C
90% @ >65C

For me it is the best compromise for noise/heat and my card wouldn't reach 65C at all since I also have a case with 25cm fan at the side.

Interesting. So why is 65C your magic number? I don't have one myself, just curious. From what I've read - these fans aren't all that durable and running at 80+ percent might cause the fan to die early which would be RMA time. If the card runs a bit hot and dies, then its also RMA time. So I'm not sure which hypothetically would cause an RMA sooner, or if there is some middle groud....

Interesting. So why is 65C your magic number? I don't have one myself, just curious. From what I've read - these fans aren't all that durable and running at 80+ percent might cause the fan to die early which would be RMA time. If the card runs a bit hot and dies, then its also RMA time. So I'm not sure which hypothetically would cause an RMA sooner, or if there is some middle groud....

Actually the magic number should be defined by yourself.

For me 60% fan speed is as high as I can tolerate for the noise and at this speed, my system is about as loud as my PS3 during gaming and it is nowhere near the loudness of my XBox360.

Using a higher fan speed would create more noise but the temperature won't really drop that much more.

During idle, I think that 50C is as high as I would go and by using 30% fan speed, the temperature would stay at around 48C and I can barely hear the noise.

Btw I don't care that much about the lifetime of my card, for me when it dies, it is the time for me to upgrade. That's why I bought a card which is priced around 150-200 Eur like the 7950GT before this. The card didn't die but I sold it when there is something new worth buying at the price point.

I don't have dual monitors, so I can't monitor all my cores as I'm playing, but mine idle around 45-48, and then get up around 65-ish on load. This is with the fan profile set to 40%. On the default settings they idle around 60 and on load get up to like 75-80.

How about in anything else? 3DMark isn't probably the best place to see the change. Also, make sure you set the profile twice, otherwise the clock change doesn't take effect. Definitely watch the clockspeed on the overdrive page as it should jump from 300 to whatever you set the GPU to run at.

Hm suddenly my computer hard locks whenever the GPU speeds change.
I hope it's as simple as I fouled up the profile settings or something. I'm going to do a full "return to default" settings when I get a chance.

Back