ATI shakin' it up (5850, price drops?)

inotocracy

Supreme [H]ardness
Looking over the 5850 benchmarks today, and I must say, for $200 that be some mighty fine value and performance. Generally 10% to 15% quicker than a 285 and at $100+ less? ATIs got a winner. Just may need to upgrade since the price seems right.

How long do you think till we see some kickback from Nvidia (price drops, competition, etc)?

i read somewhere nvidia wont lower prices because they dont wanna take a loss

strangly for many it take more than a faster card at a lower price to switch companies.

it seems to me nvidias offerings wont be price competitve compared to ati. at least it seems that way so far. with nvidia re-designing a whole new graphics chip i dont see how they can sell it "cheap".

I have no doubt the price will eventually go down, but I don't expect just yet. Either Christmas or after.

:p

Hahaha....and thats after they moved to 55nM and ghettofied the pcbs in order to cut costs. Is Nvidia operating at razor thin margins right now?

they have been doing that for a while (hell I think even ATI had a loosing quarter in this as well) with just about everything but the GTX285. the economy is just not conducive to people buy new gear. but there are a LOT of die hard nvidia fanbois that will keep buying as well as people looking for nvidia specific features (3D glasses, physx, folding performance, the 1% that need cuda). they will keep paying the premium for a while.

but I will be surprised if nvidia doesn't drop some prices and soon. and unlike ATI (its parent company actually) Nvidia can afford to do this for a while.

LOL, as if there would be a price drop on the 5850 when it was just released about a week ago and they are basically sold out everywhere you can find them. If anything there should be a price increase to match the overwhelming demand.

the thread title is: 5850, price drops

in reference to the AMD/ATi and nVidia strategies, not 5850 has a price drop!

the thread title is: 5850, price drops

in reference to the AMD/ATi and nVidia strategies, not 5850 has a price drop!

inotocracy said:
Looking over the 5850 benchmarks today, and I must say, for $200 that be some mighty fine value and performance. Generally 10% to 15% quicker than a 285 and at $100+ less? ATIs got a winner. Just may need to upgrade since the price seems right.

Pretty good attempt at salvaging this thread however it is obvious the OP is severely misinformed. For the 5850 to be $100+ less it would have to be around the 200 price point, hell even lower.

What a bunch of cheap skates.

Where is the price drop? :mad:

lol my bad, it was a quick glance. Strange cause I searched for "5850". In my defense, the reviews I've been reading have been quoting MSRP at around ~$219 :p

Haha sometimes when you newegg something and it can't find it it'll link you the most related search. I don't think the 5850 will be $219, $259 is a good price point to fight the GTX285, maybe by Xmas it will drop 20$ or so, never know though.

You do know that usually there is a price drop because their competitor has something out that can compete with said product(that is not the case right now). I dont think there will be a price drop until either Nvidia drops their 285 bellow the 5850 by $20-40 or when they release their Fermi, which still might not cause a price drop if they only have a $650 part. We will be seeing the 5850 and 5870 at a static price point like the 8800gtx until there is some external factor causing it to drop in price.

Only reason I stick with nVidia is for the fact that i've had insane issues with ATI drivers in the past. I've only just RECENTLY switched from an AMD/ATI rig to Intel/Nvidia.

Feels good man.

but yeah, oh topic, $259 seems to be the norm.

imo, 5850 price isn't going to drop for a while because of 5770 & 5750 MSRPs

5870 price might drop, but that's only if Nvidia drops their price on GT200 cards

lol my bad, it was a quick glance. Strange cause I searched for "5850". In my defense, the reviews I've been reading have been quoting MSRP at around ~$219 :p

The official MSRP as stated by AMD is $260.

why would nvidia drop prices? card's out of stock everywhere. until the 5850 is back in stock, the 285 is afaik the card to beat at the ~290 price point lol.

Remember for 4 consecutive years 2000-2004 AMD's processor was *faster* AND *cheaper*? Yet Intel still maintained a dominant market share?

It doesn't really matter what the price is, nVIDIA will have no problem getting away with a price disparity in the short term because the brand name. OCed GTX285s will continue to sell at $400 and above. Hell they could rebrand the GTX285 the GTS350.

Last edited:
Back