ATi Uninstall Guide

[H]unter

Weaksauce
Hi,

Just got me a new 4670 the other day. I have a very old X800 in the box. I want to uninstall the card before I replace. I read up on google some and it seems there is no clear verdict on this. There have been some guides mentioning tools such as Driver Cleaner Pro. Also there is an ATi uninstall utility out there, but some recommend to stay away.

What is the BEST way to completely remove my old card (drivers and all registry entries and everything).

I am using XP.

Thanks,

Uninstall, reboot into safe mode, driver cleaner, install new drivers in safe mode, reboot and enjoy.

Just using the ATi uninstall thingy in your Add/Remove programs list works pretty well too, if you don't want to bother with the safemode jive.

install new drivers in safe mode, reboot and enjoy.
And since when do you install drivers in safe mode?

- DL and unpack Driver Sweeper
- Remove ATI drivers from Control Panel
- Reboot into Safe mode
- Run DS
- Remove "ati" and "ati technologies" registry keys manually. Just to be sure.
- Reboot normally and install drivers

And since when do you install drivers in safe mode?

I install drivers in safe mode because if I boot into Vista 64 after removing drivers, Vista will automatically install standard Windows drivers upon detecting the cards. Even after telling it not to do this, it does it.

So now, I install the drivers in safe mode. Problem solved.

What I posted is overkill, but it's not like it takes anymore time. It does, however, guarantee a good installation.

Just download the latest driver and when you run it it will ask you to either uninstall or install, choose the uninstall then restart and then run it again but install. Seriously that is all that is needed.

However, to give this another perspective, you can just swap out the old card for the new card and leave the drivers alone, unless you get problems there is no need to do any of the above advice at all.

I recently built a new one and just swapped my hard drive from one comp to the other which had a completely new build and it worked fine, no problems bar a windows re-activation i believe. Only installed new drivers when i installed vista alongside my then current xp install.

Goes to show, your computer won't explode if you don't change the drivers.

It is not laziness, I just do not see why changing the software due to hardware change is necessary if there is no problems. If something is not broken, why try and fix it?

It is not laziness, I just do not see why changing the software due to hardware change is necessary if there is no problems. If something is not broken, why try and fix it?

To prevent any problems down the road? To remove any questions and/or doubts about that said problem?

If I start having issues the next day, or the next week -- I'll know that my drivers were properly installed and that's not the issue. It's easier to prevent issues, than try to fix them in a less than ideal situation.

Back