ATI X800XTPE vs nVidia 6800GT noise and heat

bob63

Limp Gawd
I've got a X800XTPE on order with Gateway, but I'm considering canceling and ordering an eVGA 6800GT. Eventhough the Gateway X800 is a good deal its not great as they wouldn't give me the AAA discount, and I had to pay sales tax. So I can save myself some money by going with the eVGA card. After raeding a few reviws it looks like performance wise I'd be just as happy with either card. What could be a deciding factor is how they compare noise wise and heat wise. It one much noisier then the other? I'm hoping that nVidia have mended there ways in this reguard. What about heat. I'd like to put my Zalman heat pipe and fan on wichever card I get. I'm under the impression that this would be adequate for the ATI card, but what about the nVidia card?

I doubt you will ever get anything from Gateway. Gateway says they aren't shipping any more X800XT PE's and they are offering those who pre-ordered already an X800Pro :).

There is no doubt the 6800GT fan is noisy. It's driving me nuts sometimes since I just silenced the rest of my shuttle. For some reason, the fan never slows down even @ idle. i thought it was supposed to.

Waiting for the Dangerden 6800GT waterblock and maybe watercool this shuttle.

still an awesome card though!

not sure, all the 6800GT's have the same reference cooling and fan from Nvidia with the exception of Asus I believe. Anyway, can't say the DB rating except it ranks pretty high on the 'pain in azz o' meter'. I guess for a single slot solution, they had no choice but to put in a high RPM fan.

you cant hear the damn fan unless you are really anal about those things. dont listen to a guy with a shuttle, if you have a normal case with 80mm or 120mm fnas you cannot hear the gt over it. i never hear mine over the other noise in the case.

coldfusion71 said:
you cant hear the damn fan unless you are really anal about those things. dont listen to a guy with a shuttle, if you have a normal case with 80mm or 120mm fnas you cannot hear the gt over it. i never hear mine over the other noise in the case.

blah blah blah I have a noisy case blah blah blah

coldfusion71 said:

Yeah, my 6800GT sounds no different than the 9800 Pro, even after putting my ear right next to it.

zombie10k said:
There is no doubt the 6800GT fan is noisy. It's driving me nuts sometimes since I just silenced the rest of my shuttle. For some reason, the fan never slows down even @ idle. i thought it was supposed to.

Waiting for the Dangerden 6800GT waterblock and maybe watercool this shuttle.

still an awesome card though!

RMA your card. My Ultra is very quiet. Runs 51c (2D) and 72c (3D)

My 6800gt fan is the same noise level as my 9800pro, also my system temperature went up 1 or 2 degrees c.

i agree with the others, i have the evga and it sounds around the same as my 9800 pro. i used to be a noise nazi but since i switched to a shuttle i can't be so picky anymore. the heat isn't much more than the 9800pro, if it is more at all. with the 9800 the side of my case used to get a little warm while gaming. with the gt it doesn't.

All I can tell you is I just installed a eVGA 6800GT in my system and it is no louder than my 9800pro was, at least that I can hear. It is also running very cool at 52 and so far has been one of the best upgrades I have ever made. I dont know about the X800XT though.

scott122 said:
RMA your card. My Ultra is very quiet. Runs 51c (2D) and 72c (3D)

um, there is nothing wrong with the card. I have a GT, not an ultra. you guys have a larger, slower spinning fan that is twice as thick. I have seen 2 other GT's, they are indentical.

As for the shuttle comment, some people enjoy a little piece and quiet. If you have 1/2 dozen case fans going, well then I would agree the 6800GT isn't so noisy.

If the rest of the system is relatively silent, it's definately noisy, but no worse than my old 9800PRO.

burningrave101 said:
I doubt you will ever get anything from Gateway. Gateway says they aren't shipping any more X800XT PE's and they are offering those who pre-ordered already an X800Pro :).

Waaaa? I have a x800 XT on preorder with Gateway and they haven't sent me a damn thing about that. If they do that... dammit!

burningrave101 said:

Where did you heard this? I pre-orderd an X800XT a month ago. A Gateway rep left a message on my answering machine yesterday to infrom me that my order has been delayed but didn't mention any of this. She said I should receive it by Aug 6.

bob63 - How do you know that they are charging you sales tax? It was not included in my price, but there is a disclaimer that implies I might be charged tax. It also seems that phone-in orders are handled differently that internet orders. Confusing.

I'm wondering all of this because I am considering canceling my order and getting a BFG 6800 GT OC.

Back