ATT SE wireless modems

Huan

[H]ard|Gawd
Could someone tell me where I could purchase a modem that WILL work with ATT SE dsl service that has built in wireless? I ventured to their site, but every modem I saw said not to purchase if I lived in TN and other SE areas lol. It was like "oh here, this product has all the kung fu grip and everything! But not for you poor boy".. Though this is the death star i'm talking about.. That company is a bit insane with some of their procedures...

As far as I know there aren't any DSL modems that have wireless included. A modem is designed to be a very basic, one port to a LAN, one for WAN. Your better bet is to use the modem that came with the service and then get a Wireless router. Any one will do regardless of what AT&T tells you, however the Linksys WRT54GL or Netgear WNR614 are both good standard choices you can find at any store and are usually >$50

yeah the problem is the modem my brother got was when he originally obtained the service back in the bellsouth days.. Its one of the first westell modems to come out and known for sensitivity to storms three countys over... Once upon a time, bellsouth said I was able to get dsl and they shipped me a wireless dsl modem, but after six hours of talking to tech support,they decided that my area wasn't yet setup for dsl.. To this date they haven't change this, and i'm stranded on isdn atm.. but thats a whole other story/rant..

Personally, I much prefer a simple modem and a good router (running the firmware of my choice). Even just disabling the built-in NAT router on my parents' 2Wire "modem" is a huge pain. I like the good ol' Siemens SpeedStream 4100 for its simplicity, and you can get it on eBay for $15 (the whole SBC/Yahoo/AT&T retail package).

No idea how they stand up to storms. I've only ever lived in Michigan, and I thought we got a decent number of storms due to the lakes, but apparently you guys get a lot more. *shrug*

Back