ATT: Turntable users

I'm thinking about going to get a turntable to play some records my dad has been collecting (and to experience the "uncompressed" analog audio format) and want your feedback.

I'm looking right now at a few companies of turntables:

Pro-ject
Stanton
Audio-Technica

Do any of you have experience with those or any other modern turntables (nothing ancient please unless it's worth mentioning).

The Stanton T.60 would cost me around 150 dollars, Pro-ject Debut III around 220 dollars, and the Audio-Technica brand is a cheap brand that sells them for between 50-100 dollars and isn't much of an option at the moment unless I hear good things about them.

Need your feedback!

Thanks,

Ryan

I don't have experience with any of those turntables, but you might seriously consider a used Technics 1200. They have excellent resale value and are believed (by some) to have much better speed accuracy than low-end belt drives. They run $200-400 used IIRC. Or, get the Audio Technica AT-PL120, which is rumored to be a (very good) knockoff of the 1200. $170-$250 new.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Well

My parents I found out today have a turntable that at one point was good but the stylus or cartridge broke and needs looking into. My mother told me that if I could get it working I could have it. I'll have to look into it when I stop down there for Easter... If I can't get it working I was thinking about getting the Pro-ject Debut III from Magnolia.

One thing I noticed that I'll need though is a Phono Preamp. Any recommendations? Radioshack sells a Pyle-Pro one for 25 dollars and Magnolia sells ones starting at 120 dollars so any suggestions would be good.

Ryan

a recommendation for a phono preamp depends on what you want to spend.

judging about your given prices you night want to consider the musical fidelity X-LPS.

The turntable I was looking at (Debut III) doesn't have a built in preamp.

I'm somewhat okay at soldering. I've done it before and wouldn't mind doing it again but it depends how much I'd have to do.

Ryan

Well that kit is lik $26 without the power supply. I would look around though do you have used audio shops in town or pawn shops. You should be able to get a used RIAA phono Preamp for about the budget you said. The are not exactly cutting edge technology anymore.
Can I ask why you want the turntable?
also if this is your turntable
http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/product.asp?id=4567
It has a built in Preamp!!

Actually I never thought about that. The company made a version called the "phono" and I had no idea why it was called that but it looked identical. Now that makes sense. That one has a built in pre-amp :) Sweetness. It may cost a little more but shouldn't cost a bunch more.

Thanks dude.

As for why I want to buy a turntable... I have two logical reasons why:

1) My mother and father still have their record collections in storage in which they don't use or get a chance to use with a broken turntable at their house. Most of the music my father listens to, I like. 60's 70's 80's classic rock. Lots of these albums he has you can't buy on CD because nobody ever released them on CD.

2) Theoretically vinyl is better quality than CDs in terms of the music sounding rich. If you don't believe me, look up Howstuffworks.com and they have an article why it's better. Or better yet if you watch "The Rock," near the beginning of the movie Nicholas Cage mentions that "it sounds better" than CD. So my goal is to test this out to the point in which I can tell a difference or not.

I purchased three records in the past 24 hours to use eventually of music that my father doesn't have that I wanted to give a try. To be exact I got Pink Floyd's "The Wall," Wing's "Wings At the Speed of Sound" and "Back to the Egg." I got to test out the "Back to the Egg" at the store on their turntable (somewhere around a few hundred dollars and was a DJ style one with speed features) and it sounded awesome. I didn't actually hear any hissing or popping on that album.

Yep. Thanks again dude.

No problem. You could always make Flac's of these songs you like and this way you only need to use these record once to make your Flac. This way you don't have to handle the record's all the time which risk's damaging the copies you have etc. Good luck with your Project.:cool:
BTW if it has the built in breamp then you just need cables to connect it to the Line_In on your PC.

It has a built in Preamp!!
why stop there?
Crappy turntable's that feature USB interfaces are common these days. ;)
(the Numark TTUSB is one example)
As are crappy phono stages that feature usb conectivity
(the ART Phono Plus is an example)

If you can handle a soldering iron I would suggest you check out the Haggerman Bulge half kit.
Here is the link---->
http://www.hagtech.com/bugle.html

Or maybe the reference circuit from the LT1115 datasheet. ;)
http://www.linear.com/pc/productDetail.jsp?navId=H0,C1,C1154,C1009,C1026,P1293
(there is one manufacturer I know of that sells a phono stage based on that circuit for $2500)

He's asking because that is the model he has. Why bother with a Crappy USB model as you put it? If your gonna go with a turntable it might aswell be a decent model and a decent preamp correct? Is that Debut III a USB model, is that what your saying Mr.X?

I'm pretty sure that the Debut III's built in preamp is probably good because the guy I talked to at Magnolia said that the phono preamps they sold were made by the same company and they started at 120 dollars which to me means that the Debut's built in preamp is probably this 120 dollar model. It's not a pos USB thing. My guess is it's a full preamp.

I'll call the company and ask them what it is.

Okay so they are located in Austria and there's no way I'm calling Austria. So I'll e-mail them.

why would it be USB? Why would I think about spending 220 dollars on a USB turntable? that'd be like thinking about buying a corvette that is governed to 25 mph--only has one purpose: to get you places but not to do the benefits of actually having a sports car.

i only read a couple of posts and please don't buy a dj turntable like the technic's as the its is 500$ for the whole kit and caboodle and too much just to listen to records with. Buy any turntable. The most important part is going to be the needle. Also if you are just listening to records, get a player that lifts the arm at the end of the album/record.

I don't buy Technics in the first place because they don't make very good stuff. Nor would I spend that kind of money on Technics.

There's more to the turntable business than to get a record playing... it still remains the best form of home audio. I personally think it would be a good investment to have one that works well as opposed to having one that is used and in terrible condition.

If your interested in having a turntable hooked to your PC, then I suggest finding/buying a decent turntable and buying a good preamp.
Yes, they (turntables) are still made but they are audiophile quality units and are very expensive.
Records being the best form of home audio, is a opinion. Nothing more. In fact that statement is sure to start some arguments in audio forums.;)
Goodluck with your audio project:)

I don't buy Technics in the first place because they don't make very good stuff. Nor would I spend that kind of money on Technics.

Where did that come from? Are you basing it using audio quality, build...? I used their 1200s for 6 years running and then sold them for 60$ less than what I paid. Sound was studio quality if you bought good carts. Build is pretty much tank like. Record stores here have ones from 8 years ago that are still beat up but run perfectly. Motor is as good as when it was bought new if maintained.

Not to mention that before the vestax and stanton high end direct drive tables, technics were used exclusively in almost all nightlcubs, parties, dj events etc. Even now most prefer their 1200s if they dont need the additional pitch range and lcd's that the other ones offer.

sl1200 with shure m44 for scratch or an ortofon for just mixing. Unbeatable combos.

:rolleyes:

why would it be USB? Why would I think about spending 220 dollars on a USB turntable? that'd be like thinking about buying a corvette that is governed to 25 mph--only has one purpose: to get you places but not to do the benefits of actually having a sports car.

And here I thought you missed the point. :D

My own analogy about the whole pre-amp built into the TT is.... why would you want to put a random 4 cylinder motor in a Vette?
And
If it is a CheVette does it really matter? :p

The most important part is going to be the needle
IMO the most important part is always the motor and it's controler.
Everything else comes after that. ;)
(that is one of the reasons Technics tt's rock!)

BTW if it has the built in breamp then you just need cables to connect it to the Line_In on your PC.

judging by his sig he will probably connect it to his awesome receiver...

thats why i suggested an a bit more expensive phono amp first.

azulcorvette :
the pro-ject you mentioned will be a good starting point, and if you get more interested you could always buy a better cartridge... although you will be limited to built in pre-amp.

There's more to the turntable business than to get a record playing... it still remains the best form of home audio. I personally think it would be a good investment to have one that works well as opposed to having one that is used and in terrible condition.

FWIW, I never had a bit of problem with any of my Technics gear. My 1210's are solid. Albeit they may be overkill for a home / bedroom music listening setup.

If you can find it on ebay, the Sony PS-X600 is nice and inexpensive. Quartz timing, so you don't need to do the whole strobe thing to get the RPM right. And the tonearm movement is completely automated. Supersweet. No amp, but my reciever has phono in, yours might too...

For the record, the late Marantz's don't feature phono inputs because... well I guess they figured that turntables are obsolete or they'd rather not spend the money including a phono preamp.

Thanks for your inputs.

As of now, I'm going to see what the price difference is between the Debut III without phono preamp and with phono preamp integrated. If it's a major difference, than I think it'd be best to buy a standalone unit for replacing down the road.

Plan B stands that if I can get my dad's old turntable running I could use it temporarily. I'm sure it's a pretty high end one from the 80's. Most of his gear was (and is) good. Adcom preamp, Yamaha M-40 power amp, SpeakerLab speakers, etc...

Thanks again.

Ryan

If you're going to be buying a new cartridge, I'd recommend getting one with an elliptical stylus tip. The elliptical stylii generally have greater frequency range and better stereo seperation than the spherical stylii. I've always sworn by my Ortofon Nightclub carts. The very best carts I've ever used. They aren't the best in any one stat, but they are very good all around cart. If you're are just going to play records for your own pleasure, you can save money buying a good tt like the Stanton. It's not the tt of choice for djs, but it works and works well.

Back