Attn Vista users

Mass Effect was having problems with nVidia drivers - causing BSODs, as was TR - Legend.
Mass effect works perfectly for me and don't have legend but it may be related to those issues.

A driver update caused my 8800gtx to start crashing constantly. Downgrade didn't fix it. Reinstall of Windows didn't fix it. 4870 fixed it. Now a patch comes out. I think I'm too lazy to switch back and see if it doesn't crash now. Hope it fixes the problems for everyone that didn't jump ship.

This update was in last months updates and was installed successfully on my system in August.

I haven't noticed any difference, but then, I wasn't having any problems before either.

I installed the update.before i did i had zero problems now when i come out of sleep it hangs lol and says it was my nv driver problem. This is the first time i have had a nv driver/os problem. I uninstalled it and now the problem is gone.

Hmmm, my 8800gtx had been a bit quirky in some games under certain settings... which resulted in a BSOD pointing to nvlddmkm.sys. I got sick of it and picked up a GTX260 and it's been stable so far. I have a couple games where I can test out the 8800 again to see if the BSOD pops up or not. I'll post back later with results.

Nope... didn't help me at all. I was still able to reproduce the nv___ error with little effort. Time to put the 260 back in.

I did some research and found out this is just a general Vista fix, as I expected.

The people who write the vista update descriptions are not technical people, and they wrote "NVIDIA" because NVIDIA was the company who notified Microsoft of the issue in their operating system, so the update description writers assume it's an NVIDIA specific issue. This is not the case, and it will be re-written shortly.

This is not an NVIDIA specific fix.

Nope... didn't help me at all. I was still able to reproduce the nv___ error with little effort. Time to put the 260 back in.

If 1 NVIDIA card has the problem while the other with the same driver does not, you probably have some bad hardware there. There aren't many crashes or issues which are specific to G80 based chips that don't affect GT200 based chips also.

If 1 NVIDIA card has the problem while the other with the same driver does not, you probably have some bad hardware there. There aren't many crashes or issues which are specific to G80 based chips that don't affect GT200 based chips also.

Yup, that's why the cards going back on RMA... I figured I hadn't sent it out yet so it wouldn't hurt to check it out.

havnt crashed since the install. Yet.

The Nvidia driver notes have metioned features not workign in vista due to driver model changes for years. I bet MS changed soemthing to increase compatability with the nvidia code.

9/14/08 Have to take back the "Yet" I have now had a driver crash in wow as well as City of Heroes. Less frequently crashing. Strangly WOW only crashes if I play it after playing COH without a reboot.

Back