Audigy 2 + 4GB RAM = Can it be done?

Markstar

n00b
Hi,
I just got a new system, including, since it's so cheap nowadays, 4GB RAM (2*2GB). Now, if I play MP3 sound with my Audigy 2 Platinum eX, the sound is broken after a few minutes (XP 32-Bit). Under XP x64, the MP3 works, but AC3 sound will not play.

Both problems disappear as soon as I remove one of the RAM modules, so my conclusion is that this is definitely a drivers issue (I've read that people had similar issues with the newer X-Fi series and there was a fix from daniel_k).

My question:
Is there ANY driver out there (official or cracked, hacked, sliced or whatever :p) that actually works with either one of the XP OSs? And if so, where to get it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

My Audigy 2 ZS runs great with 8GB of ram under Vista Ultimate x64. I'm using Daniel_K's Audigy drivers.

I'm running a first gen Audigy Gamer with 4 GB in WIN XP Pro x86 and Vista Home Premium x64 with zero issues. With Creatives drivers no less.

@aznpxdd: May I ask which drivers you used? I have found these on TBP, but I'm not sure they are the most up-to-date since in this threat at the Creative forums, it seems there is a Rev. 2, but the links there (filefront) don't work for me. :(

Where does one get the most recent driver?

@Kangg: Interesting. Well, I have tried several reinstalls, always with the same problem. A new driver is my last (only?) hope to solve this afaik.

I have run my audigy 2 zs on win xp pro with 4gb and on vista x86 with 4gb and on vista x64 with 4 and 8 gb...

Oh btw as an afterthought, what pci slot do you have your card in? I had issues with my Audigy after a new build a couple of years ago of screeching, game lockups and crashes. I moved my Audigy to the very bottom pci slot and have not had one issue since.

@mystykmax: Hmm, which drivers did you use? I'm not sure how closely our cards are related, I think the ZS is newer than mine.

@Kangg: Yeah, I know these issues. My new board has only 2 PCI slots and I've tried them both. :(

My ORIGINAL Audigy runs great under Vista Home Premium with 4GB RAM. Make sure you get the correct 64 bit drivers.

Thanks for the replies. I will try out Daniel K's drivers for XP as soon as I have a fast internet connection again. :p

i use an audigy 2zs with a drive bay, 4gb ddr2 800 ram, and winxp 32bit sp3 with no issues :)

however, after copying several hundred gigabytes off my 400gb drives to 750gb drives, the sound would dissaper. that was the only issue i noticed ;).

i guess xp doesn't take kindly to such large file transfers, and it gets borked up ;)

I've an Audigy 2 ZS in my system and 8GB of RAM (4x2GB). It works fine under XP Pro 32-bit (with and without memory remap enabled in my BIOS; with it sees 2GB, without it sees 2.9 or so) with drivers from Creative and in 64-bit Ubuntu Linux (with ALSA). I haven't had any issues at all.

FWIW the file name of the installer for the windows drivers I am using is:

SBAX_WBUP2_LB_2_09_0016.exe

Dunno if that's the latest, but I haven't had any issues with them so I haven't checked in a long while. It should definitely work but there could be something else causing compatibility problems. Have you tried running memtest on your RAM to make sure it is all okay? What motherboard/chipset are you using? It isn't an nForce board is it?

Back