Audigy 2 ZS or on board audio?

I'm building a new system with this board. It's got an 8 channel Realtek ALC889A chip. I have an Audigy 2 ZS OEM board (8 channel) that I could move into my new rig, but I don't know if there would be any advantage. Should I do it?? :confused:

Also my speakers are just a cheap 5.1 set from a few years ago (Logitech Z-640) but I plan on upgrading soon.

TY

Yes, the sound card is defenitely the way to go.
Reasons:
- more accurate gaming sounds
- higher dynamic range (the difference between the most quiet audible and the loudest sound with no distortion)
- better sound quality
Audigy 2 ZS does not have optical out though - only electrical SPDIF (compatible with digital coaxial input) so keep that in mind when getting new speakers.

Almost any sound card you buy will sound better than onboard sound. My Audigy SE was the best $30 I've ever spent on a computer part.

The Realtek ALC889A is pretty good and supports DTS Connect so you can get full 5.1 via a digital connection.
If you need EAX (above V2.0)/ OpenAL sound effects acceleration, use the Audigy.
If that doesnt matter to you, I'd use the Realtek.

If you want 5.1 via digital, you need to use the Realtek.
You can always try both yourself and decide which is best.

Note: I dont know if DTS-connect is available in XP, I know it is in Vista.

Thanks for the input everyone. The Audigy 2 ZS is not CPU dependant so it gives me a boost in gaming IIRC. Does the Realtek use the CPU? My preconception about onboard audio is that it uses the CPU for audio processing, but it's been a few years since my last system build... I'm a little bit behind the times.

The Audigy cards use their processor to accelerate EAX calls and give support to EAX modes higher than 2.0, up to 4.0.
Unless you have a Creative processor card, you cannot get true full EAX support.
(The asus xonar cards emulate EAX up to 5.0/HD but its not perfect)

If you are not using a card based on the Xonar or a Creative processor, you will be ale to get up to EAX 2.0.
EAX is for environmental effects in games

The Realtek card will use the CPU a bit more but only in the realm of a few %.
The reason being is that it doesnt need to process EAX etc higher than EAX 2.0 so theres no real CPU demand.

So its a trade off, DTS Connect for 5.1 via digital or EAX/OpenAL 4.0

if your using Digital, SQ will depend on your receiver, where as the DACs on the audigy will be much better then the onboard for analog.

The Audigy cards use their processor to accelerate EAX calls and give support to EAX modes higher than 2.0, up to 4.0.
Unless you have a Creative processor card, you cannot get true full EAX support.
(The asus xonar cards emulate EAX up to 5.0/HD but its not perfect)

If you are not using a card based on the Xonar or a Creative processor, you will be ale to get up to EAX 2.0.
EAX is for environmental effects in games

The Realtek card will use the CPU a bit more but only in the realm of a few %.
The reason being is that it doesnt need to process EAX etc higher than EAX 2.0 so theres no real CPU demand.

So its a trade off, DTS Connect for 5.1 via digital or EAX/OpenAL 4.0

if your using Digital, SQ will depend on your receiver, where as the DACs on the audigy will be much better then the onboard for analog.

Thanks, this puts the last nails in the coffin for the onboard chip. I'm goin with the Audigy :cool:

Back