Audigy2 ---> Audigy4 Mod

dolphumous

2[H]4U
OK. I just got an Audigy2 to upgrade my onboard Realtek ACL850 (DFI Karajan).

Should I just toss the Audigy2 in and be happy or should I do the audigy4 mod? What are the benefits?

I've checked out this thread (as well as others) on driverhaven:
http://www.driverheaven.net/showthread.php?t=78049

But the link for the Audigy4 ISO doesn't work any more.

So, I guess the question is...should I bother?

One of the principle differences between the A2 and A4 is that he A4 uses higher quality DACs (I think they're the same ones used on one of the EMU cards), which a driver ain't gonna fix for you.

With that taken out of the equation there isn't alot of difference anyway, in the spirit of adventure I'd say go for it, but I wouldn't expect a world of difference for your efforts.

I got a regular Audigy2 from this forum for $20 and it didnt come with a driver disc so I went with the Mod Drivers. Works fine and sounds much better than onboard, (never had the "stock" drivers so I have nothing to compare it to).

I do think that there are extra steps involved in cleaning out the registry if you had the Audigy2 drivers installed before you try to do the Audigy4 mod.

I have all the files needed for the A2-A4 mod along with instruction available on my ftp server, PM me if you want me to give you a login so you can retrieve them.

Edit: Dont have to do anything in the registry for the mod, just driverclean all creative stuff as the first step.

Cool. Could you PM me the info? The Audigy4 iso still doesn't work for me on that page I linked.

I've never had a creative card in this machine btw.

Tha Audigy2 is still sitting on my desk. I've been dying for [H] to come back up. :)

Back