Audio codec quality effect on digital audio output?

DuronClocker

[H]ard|Gawd
I've got two nearly identical motherboards with different onboard audio codecs. One is going to be used w/ Win7 for my HTPC, the other will be used for ESXi (no audio).

First board has a VIA VT1708S chip on it.
Second board as a Realtek ALC889 chip on it.

From what I understand, the ALC889 is actually decent as far as onboard goes, whereas the Via is a pretty bottom-of-the-barrel option. However, is that important when using co-ax/SPDIF, or only when using the analog outputs?

I will not be using the analog outputs at all. I've got my cable box into my receiver with a digital co-ax cable, so I plan on using the optical/SPDIF output on the HTPC.

I'll eventually upgrade to an HDMI receiver, and this will all be moot, but that won't be for a while I'm sure. I know the onboard video will not handle LPCM over HDMI, but that clearly isn't a big deal right now. By the time I upgrade the receiver, I'll have purchased a discrete card to allow me to play some more recent games.

I'd say I'd just use the board with the Realtek chip to avoid this debate, but the NIC on that board will be far easier to get to work with ESXi so if audio quality differences are non-existent when using digital outputs, I'd rather use that board for ESXi.

Hm, I did find a motherboard review where they ran a RightMark audio test on a few boards with Realtek and Via chipsets.. looks like the Via isn't TOO far off except for THD.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/16702/10

I suppose seeing as that is the motherboard I currently have up and running, I should just hook it up to the receiver and see if I'm happy with the audio quality. Still waiting on my Phenom to show up for the other system, so it isn't like I'm in a huge hurry to get the second machine up and running tonight.

If passing through from the SPDIF to the receiver, then how good it sounds is all on the receiver. It has nothing to do with the onboard sound as the receiver does all the processing. It would only matter for the analog audio.

Excellent, that's what I was guessing/hoping. Now I hope my optical out doesn't have the hissing problem I've seen others have with that VT1708S. Seems like that is primarily ASUS boards though.. hopefully MSI's implementation is a little better.

As long as there is no hissing, I should be good to go.

i got a ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO It uses VT1708S
I have not used the Audio jack portion.
But i am using the HDMI Cable to get my Sound to the entertainment system. It has no hissing on.
So does the optical, it hooked up straight to the amp, Also no hissing.

I use the HDMI Video+Audio for watching things with out Huge speakers. (Straight to TV)
Optical if using my sound system. (Video to TV, Audio to Amp)

Now here is the catch If i do HDMI Video+Audio to TV then TV to Amp
I get hissing noise if the TV has any kind of EQ enabled (Not straight sound)
The sound sounds more dull if TV EQ is turned off but no hissing.

Thanks Andie!

That's exactly how I'm going to have it set up, though I'm not sure about going from TV to receiver. Still haven't had a chance to try it out just yet, but I should be able to over the weekend pretty easily.

Back