Audio receiver turned off, TV takes over sound

Oohah

Weaksauce
Complete noob here so please bare with me! :eek:

How do I set up my audio receiver so that whenever I turn it off, the TV automatically takes over sound duties for each device:

Here is my current setup (everything is connected through HDMI):

Cable/Satellite box --> Receiver
PS3 --> Receiver
XBOX -->Receiver

Receiver (output) --> TV

I also want to be able to watch TV from my satellite box while being able to switch between sources on my receiver. Like listening to music from my ps3 while I watch TV.

Thanks in advance! :cool:

What receiver? Some allow this feature but it has to be turned on in the receiver menu.

For audio to the tv when the receiver is off, you can look on page 48 of the manual and enable hdmi control & select the standby source. You may want 'last' as the standby source. Then the receiver will go into standby when you turn it off, instead of the normal off mode.

For the other thing you want, i dont think you can select to take just the audio from one source and use the video from another source.

For audio to the tv when the receiver is off, you can look on page 48 of the manual and enable hdmi control & select the standby source. You may want 'last' as the standby source. Then the receiver will go into standby when you turn it off, instead of the normal off mode.

For the other thing you want, i dont think you can select to take just the audio from one source and use the video from another source.

It works but for some reason there's no sound coming from the TV. My TV is a Sharp Aquos LC-65E77UM. I've tried messing around with the TV audio settings but nothing seems to work. Also sometimes when I switch between sources, I get a message that says "an incompatible audio signal has been detected, check output source."

well, theres also a setting for hdmi audio out, also listed on page 48. You could set it to TV instead of AMP, but that might disable audio from the receiver. Its probably worth trying temporarily to see if the tv will output audio in standby (or 'on' mode) then.

On my samsung tv theres a separate setting to disable the internal speakers which is elsewhere in the menus from the rest of the speaker settings.

I have a denon 791, i'll try the standby sending audio to the tv stuff when i get some time today and post back how it worked out.

For some reason when I set it to "TV", audio from the receiver is disabled when I turn it off but I'm still not getting any sound from the TV--just video.

For the other thing, it's really weird because with my old HTIB the factory receiver allowed me to switch between sources without any issues while watching TV... But then again the cable box was not connected to the receiver through HDMI.... Ah well

Thanks for trying to help! :)

so on my 791, if i set it to hdmi control on, and standby source as last. I do get audio on my tv with the video.

my hdmi audio is set to amp.

In standby mode, the power button on the receiver should be 'red'.

Do you get audio from your tv if you plug hdmi devices directly into it?

so on my 791, if i set it to hdmi control on, and standby source as last. I do get audio on my tv with the video.

my hdmi audio is set to amp.

In standby mode, the power button on the receiver should be 'red'.

Still no luck. :/

My TV keeps displaying a message that says"An incompatible audio signal has been received. Check the output device settings"

Do you get audio from your tv if you plug hdmi devices directly into it?

Yes. I had my ps3 connected to my TV before and sound came out fine.

I think this might be a problem with my cable box (SHAW HDPVR 630) because TV sound works fine when I switch to the PS3...

Yes, it was indeed a problem with the cable box. According to the manual, I needed to set the HDMI audio to PCM. Problem solved!

Thanks for your help and time ambientz! :D

Back