Australian Police Serve Court Order via Facebook

HardOCP News

[H] News
You know, the first few times we saw legal documents served via Facebook it seemed like a headline grabbing publicity stunt, now I’m not so sure that's the case. Could this be the wave of the future?

The "prolific" Facebook user was accused of, among other things, using the site to harass, bully and threaten another person, and police said they transcribed all the court documents and sent them to his Facebook inbox. A video was also made of the order being read "as if the Respondent was being directly spoken to" and sent electronically to him.

First we see articles all over the place complaining about the fact that FB is sharing personal info. We see commentators reminding the public that nothing on FB is TRULY private! Then we see courts continuing to issue legal documents via FB? Something just doesn't seem right here....

Somebody else is hoping this is legal as it would be the perfect excuse to browse facebook all day and get paid for it...

what if the guy only logged in once a month or every 3 months?

Fine with me as I never plan to have a facebook account.

Fine with me as I never plan to have a facebook account.

Facebook would be only the start over here. It would set a precedent that you dont even have to phyically inform the person or even get confirmation that the person was served. It would lead to a summons being sent to old email accounts, as a text message, or any other social network of any kind you may be a part of including forums. You may not see it, not know to show up, then have a summary judgement against you or a warrant issued for your arrest.

Back