Automatic log-out

metallicafan

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - May 2010
I work at an educational institution that uses Windows/AD. We were running into some issues with professors leaving themselves logged into the classroom machines. Obviously if they leave themselves logged in thats a big security risk. So we used a script on those machines that would give them a warning after 15 minutes of inactivity, and then log them out after 20 minutes of inactivity.

The problem is that if a user is showing a DVD in the classroom (hence they are not moving the mouse) then after the first 20 minutes of the DVD it logs them out.

Does anyone have any experience in this area? I am just looking for suggestions on the best way to allow users maximum usability of the PCs while still maintaining security. Anyone else here have an auto log out set on their network machines?
Thanks for any suggestions.:)

Have the professors move the mouse once every 14 minutes? Sorry, got nothing.

Have them read the IT's security policy and sign off on the documentation. If they don't understand that they are making your job more difficult, why should you make theirs more convenient?

I do like the "dedicated" dvd player solution though.

Why log them out?

Why not enforce computer locking after the screensaver comes on through group policy?

This why they do not lose any unsaved work and all they have to do is come back and plugin their password to get back to what they were doing.

Back