AVADirect's performance per $ is phenomenal

joey2264

n00b
I just wanted to post a response to those that say that AVADirect is only a "little" cheaper than Velocity Micro. If you actually spend 5 minutes configuring a system on both sites, you will quickly see that difference is nothing short of amazing.

Core™ 2 Duo E6600, Retail
CNPS9500 LED Copper CPU Cooler, Blue LED
P5B-VM, LGA775, Intel G965, mATX, Retail
HyperX 4GB (4 x 1GB) PC2-6400 DDR2 800MHz CL4 (4-4-4-12) SDRAM DIMM
e-GeForce 8800 GTS Superclocked 576MHz, 640MB GDDR3 1700MHz, Retail
Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ XtremeGamer, 7.1 channels, 24-bit 96KHz, PCI
200GB Barracuda 7200.10, SATA II 300MB/s, 7200-RPM, 8MB cache
750GB Barracuda 7200.10, SATA II 300MB/s, 7200-RPM, 16MB cache
SHD-16S1S Black 16x48x DVD-ROM Drive, SATA, OEM
LH-20A1S Black/White 20x DVD±RW Dual-Layer Burner, SATA, Retail
Sugo SG01 Black Compact Cube Case, mATX, No PSU
GameXStream 700W Power Supply, 24-pin ATX EPS12V, SLI Ready
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 w/ SP2b, OEM
Gold Warranty Package (3 year limited parts & lifetime labor warranty, priority service)

Grand Total: $2274.27

While that certainly isn't an insanely low price, I can't think of a single area where I can justify spending more money. And if you try to configure a system like this anywhere else, you'll be lucky if you don't hit $3000 before your halfway done.

Now this price wouldn't matter jack shit if the service wasn't there to back it up. Monarch was able to hit insanely low prices too, but you got what you paid for with them. But from everything I've heard, AVADirect has service to beat along with prices to beat, and that makes quite a combination.

Personally, I really can't see recommending Velocity Micro or MainGear (or certainly any of the insanely priced boutiques: Voodoo, FNW, Alienware, Dell's XPS's, etc.) to anyone over AVADirect given the current state of the company's products. If we start hearing AVADirect horror stories, that would certainly change, but as it is, AVADirect seems to be the perfect choice.

(Disclaimer: I am currently in the researching phase, and don't have any personal experience with any of these company's products. I am relying solely on other's experience and HardOCP reviews.)

Thoughts?

Avadirect has an excellent rep both by the forumites and [H]. Their price/performance ratio and quality very high. One thing that I noticed, the Core Duo price cuts hit their configs immediately, while other companies are still charging the "old" prices. While I realize the price cut hasn't hit everywhere yet, it is great to see Ava respond so quickly.

I am ordering a new system from them (probably tonight!), so I am a bit biased.....

CNET also reviewed one of their machines recently and gave it a decent review. Like anything in life, if something seems to good to be true, then maybe it is?

I would be more comfortable with ordering from VM over AVADirect. However, I may do some more research on AVADirect before I place a system order.

I bought a system from AVA right after the holidays. I havent been happier with a system more than I have been with this one. I had some issues with it when it arrived and a short phone call later they agreed to take the machine back in for repairs.

They paid all the shipping and even did some extra free wiring work( I dont have them do that since my case isnt windowed). I have to admit the wiring was great to begin with but was REALLY top notch when it came back. Never once did they make me feel like I was jumping through hoops to get the work done.

They answered the phones or replied to every email usually within minutes but never outside the same day.

I would whole heartedly recommend these guys to anyone buying a computer. Shit sometimes happens but when it hit the fan they were there to clean it all up immediately and professionally.

does AVA still build SG01s ?

I m researching a build for my brother but I didnt see it as an option.

I don't think that I've ever seen another computer company score as consistenly high on RR as AVADirect. At one time, their 6-month rating was like 9.9/10.

Considering the company they were borne out of, they've done nothing but impressed me with their integrity, passion, and commitment. And Misha is a hella cool guy :).

They most certainly do offer SG01's :) From the main site, if you click on "Desktop Systems", then "High-Performance Gaming Systems", the first option on the page is for their Gaming Cube, which you can configure with an SG01 (very nice case!).

I had many of the same concerns as you ATITool, when I first saw their prices. There must be a catch! Not as far as I can tell, from the personal reviews on these forums to HardOCP's professional reviews, to their reviews on other sites and on ResellerRatings, they seem to be stellar across the board.

The one thing I would mention is you do seem to pay a slight premium if you want a full desktop system, as I configured one of their desktops with the exact same components, except for a Asus 650i motherboard, comparably priced Mystique 632 Midtower case, and included floppy, and it came out to about $70 more. It should still be cheaper to most competitors, and you do get to take advantage of expanded build options, including TV tuners (!), more hard drives, a platinum 5 year warranty option, etc.

If you don't mind my asking, Jason, what do you mean, the company they were borne out of? Just curious :)

To answer from the other side of the isle......

I'm in the middle of an order from VelocityMicro......now, I ordered a laptop; so we are speaking of a completely different product.......

Nonetheless, VM has been incredible so far. They offered more on their laptop than anyone else, answered every question I had without any BS at all (I'm a real laptop noob)
and have kept me informed daily about my progress.

I had some additional questions and Heather Taylor was nearly instant in getting back to me.

I cant wait to see the product first hand, and I'll let people know how it comes out.....but so far I'm more than impressed.

I'm sure AVA is great, too. I have yet to see anybody have anything but good things to say about them in this forum. The thing that impresses me about VM is I'm sure they are a large volume builder, but they make you feel like you are just as important as the guy who orders 100s of computers.

If you don't mind my asking, Jason, what do you mean, the company they were borne out of? Just curious :)

If you look at our first AVA eval, you'll see :). AVA has asked us not to make too big of a deal out of it because they want a true divorce from their previous company.

I'm a believer in AVA, too. The Gaming Cube in my sig is the best PC I've ever owned. :D

Velocity Micro is the standard bearer for reasonably priced boutiques, and they set the bar to be reached by AVADirect, Maingear, and others. Unfortunately, their prices, when adding higher end options (4 GB RAM, bigger hard drives, etc.) skyrocket past AVA (as shown in the build I posted at the beginning of the thread).

That is very close to what I am planning, Mr. Wolf! I'm curious, how you like the Lanbox? I was going to get the SG01, but I like that exterior 3.5 in drivebay on the Lanbox for a flash card reader. Assuming you got it with the Asus motherboard, is the PCI-E x1 slot unobstructed? And how is AVA's wiring in such a small case? Final question, why did you get the Audigy 4 instead of an X-fi?

Still trying to make up my mind on my final build, so any advice would be appreciated.

That is very close to what I am planning, Mr. Wolf! I'm curious, how you like the Lanbox? I was going to get the SG01, but I like that exterior 3.5 in drivebay on the Lanbox for a flash card reader. Assuming you got it with the Asus motherboard, is the PCI-E x1 slot unobstructed? And how is AVA's wiring in such a small case? Final question, why did you get the Audigy 4 instead of an X-fi?

Still trying to make up my mind on my final build, so any advice would be appreciated.

I am also interested in a SFF system from AVA. I prefer the appearance of the sg01 over the Tt lanbox. I wish they offered the sgo1 with the windowed side panels.

My Gaming Cube (black LanBox) is only a few weeks old but I love it!! I've had two other SFF PCs, a Shuttle and Hornet Pro (from the now-deceased Monarch Computers). Both were just boxes of metal compared to the GC. In addition to what's in my sig, it has 2 DVD-RW drives, and an 8 in 1 flash card reader. I only went with one hard drive because I've got a 500GB external HD. Yes, it has the Asus mobo. It was the only choice offered, but I've heard of some problems with the 680 board, so I'm fine with the Asus. The wiring is clean and tight. I added a CPU fan and an extra case fan. I chose the Audigy 4 because of all the driver problems/issues I've read about the X-Fi. I'm running XP Pro, but am considering Linux as the OS. The total price was $1665 with the 3 year warranty and shipping. I set my limit at $2000, so I'm thrilled. The only hardware upgrade I plan is the video card. I want to jump to the next generation of DX10 cards (the Nvidia 8900 series or whatever it ends up being called) in early 2008.

I can't recommend the GC and AVA highly enough. Hope this helps, Joey!

I'm still deciding on what I am going to do, but the Gaming Cube is on the top of my list! I am going to spend a little more upfront because I won't be upgrading this for several years. I especially can't wait to see how the long delayed ATI R600 will compete.

They most certainly do offer SG01's :) From the main site, if you click on "Desktop Systems", then "High-Performance Gaming Systems", the first option on the page is for their Gaming Cube, which you can configure with an SG01 (very nice case!).

is it possible they have switched from SG01s to LANBoxes exclusively ?

All I have to say is that the new AVA direct system I have right now is without question the finest system I have ever owned. Pricing, customer service, delivery time, quality and build make AVA miles ahead of all the other places I have ever bought a PC from. I will be most assuredly be buying my next computer from them. And yes mine is a Lanbox, it runs cool and quiet. I absolutely love it.

All I have to say is that the new AVA direct system I have right now is without question the finest system I have ever owned. Pricing, customer service, delivery time, quality and build make AVA miles ahead of all the other places I have ever bought a PC from. I will be most assuredly be buying my next computer from them. And yes mine is a Lanbox, it runs cool and quiet. I absolutely love it.
All hail the power of the mighty Gaming Cube Lanbox!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Back