Average FPS in CS:S? Also how to OC 6800gt?

rain183xx

n00b
Hey all...

After several issues, I think I've finally got my rig working... it consists of an AMD XP3000+ newcastle processor, Prolink 6800GT, 1 gig of corsair pc3200 ram.. My question is what is the average FPS I should be getting in CS:S? I get roughly around 60 usually, 50 during intense fights. I mean I get above 80 all the time but not consistently.

Another question how do I overclock my 6800gt? I want to get it to 400/1.11 or whatever it is everybody else is doing.. please help?

Thanks in advance.

google for CoolBits and download and use that, it goes right into your registry and will fit right into your Nview options

your FPS will vary depending on what res and settings you are using.... can you specify these?

I'm using 800x600 resolution and my settings are either at medium or high...

Also I got the coolbits registry tweaker and my optimum is 418/1.13 I believe.. that is for 3D.. I have kept things at stock so far 350/1.00 I think.. but anyways my question regarding that is should I put it at 400/1.11 like everyone else? Is that the safest? And I don't need any extra cooling or anything for this right?

Also I have encountered another problem in CS:S :( Well when I double click a server to play on and the "preparing to play CS:S" window popsup, shortly after an error report comes up... it says "hl2.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." I can let the game play on but as soon as I press the "Don't Send" button it crashes... I can continue playing with the window open I guess but I prefer that I don't have to.. does anybody know how to resolve this problem? Thanks...

RIG:
amdxp3000 newcastle
1 gig pc3200 corsair ram
prolink 6800gt
chieftec 420w psu
winxp pro

if there's anything else you guys need to know feel free to ask, thanks again

well, your res is 800x600 and ur getting max of 80fps... that is not good. i have the same proc and ram as you. my video card however is an ATI x700 pro agp. the lowest my fps ever drop is too appx 58, and that is with 20 ppl throwing nades around. Unfortunatly i have no solution for you, just that there may be a problem.

What video card drivers are you running with? Have you got the latest chipset drivers installed? My old Xp2400 + 6800GT @400/1100 used to easily get average 60fps at 1024x768, and was more than playable at 1280*1024. Chipset + video drivers would be a first guess.

well it goes up around 100 and 120 every now and then but it doesn't stay there.. normally it's around 60 fps but usually around 50 during fights n such.. blah

rain183xx said:
well it goes up around 100 and 120 every now and then but it doesn't stay there.. normally it's around 60 fps but usually around 50 during fights n such.. blah
Which is what id predict you should get at tions higher with AA/AF on.

Have you got your chipset drivers installed? Youdont mention which board, but you want the latest from the chipset manufacturers website (Nvidia/Via) and graphics drivers can make a hell of a lot of difference, did you upgrade to that Card? If so, did you remove all your old drivers (especially if you were on an ATi card before)

hmm chipset drivers? I'm not particularly sure but I know that I installed the VIA 4in1 drivers and the 71.89 drivers from nvidia.. I have an AOpen AK-86L motherboard.. all of the parts are pretty much brand new I didn't change from ATi. So wait, which drivers should I get again? I'm sorry I'm just slow at this stuff

The 4-in-1 drivers are the right ones assuming the board has a VIA chipset, and 71.89 should be ok for gpu, next question, does your frame rate start ok then take a huge hit after ~5 mins?

yea, u should get higher than that...iplay at 1280x960 with high settings and 4x AA 8xAF and i get average 120fps...i got 115fps on the stress test...i have a 3700+ SD with a gig of ram and a 6800gt

lcboyee1123 said:
yea, u should get higher than that...iplay at 1280x960 with high settings and 4x AA 8xAF and i get average 120fps...i got 115fps on the stress test...i have a 3700+ SD with a gig of ram and a 6800gt
Decent scores, but bear in mind hes 3 processor generations and about 700mhz of pr rating below you

*slams head into desk repeatedly*

Ok, from the beginning, what processor do you have? You said AMD XP3000+ newcastle, however that's two different processors combined. AMD 64 3000+ Newcastle is a 64-bit processor, an AMD XP 3000+ is an older 32-bit processor. Check with Start>right click on my computer> properties and then read the bottom of the window that pops up, it'll tell you what CPU you have. The thing to remember is that Source games are incredibly bottlenecked by CPUs. You have a 6800GT which should be fine as long as you installed the drivers for it. That said, if you do have an older XP 3000+, then it doesnt matter what rez you're at, you'll always max out at 50-60FPS in fire fights because your CPU is limiting you. First off up your rez, right now its like you bought a corvette and doing 10mph under the speed limit everywhere. That card should work fine at 1280x960 with 2xAA and 2xAF. If you're still getting the same FPS, then your CPU is bottlenecking you. Overall I'd recommend making sure you have your drivers installed correctly. You could also go tweak your system (follow the guides here: www.tweakguides.com ).
Finally, it sounds to me like you're relatively new to computers. I'd recommend reading up ALOT on overclocking and cracking open your case and having a look at how things work before you try it. Uninformed overclocking is what ruins parts, and then we get these threads that say "My xxxxxx card sucks! :mad:"

Good luck :cool:

P4 650 3.4ghz
1 gig 4200 533mhz Ram
X850XTPE (not OC'd)

1920x1200
All details to max
6xAA 16xAF

V-Sync on (Need this to stop tearing on my display)
Avg FPS - 51.37

V-Sync off
Avg FPS - 80.86

haa ur kidding right? this is in the cs:s VST test? I barely get 90 with my ultra @ 1600x1200 4xAA 16xAF max everything...an x850xtpe isnt that much faster..running only 10 frames slower @ those settings..even if this is the source engine....I am pretty sure @ 1920x1200 with 6xAA would rape the fps...

aZn_plyR said:
haa ur kidding right? this is in the cs:s VST test? I barely get 90 with my ultra @ 1600x1200 4xAA 16xAF max everything...an x850xtpe isnt that much faster..running only 10 frames slower @ those settings..even if this is the source engine....I am pretty sure @ 1920x1200 with 6xAA would rape the fps...

Pretty suprised myself because I never considered using AA because of the threads on the 2405 in the monitor forum. ie everyone was suprised that the performance hit at that res wasn't as bad as everyone thought it would be, but the verdict was unanimous that enabling AA and AF would definately kill the FPS but that the upside was at that high a res a high level of AA wasn't needed except for those with eagle Vision :D

Only ran the stress test with AA enabled after reading this thread and like I said I am very suprised at the results myself. Might be a glitch though. If I give some settings maybe someone can confirm whether its a glitch or not.

Ok first off 2xAA looks perfect as does 6xAA whereas 4xAA leads to purple glitches ie light reflections on objects?? Is that a clue??

Catalyst 5.5 CC settings are:

Standard settings - Balanced
AA - Let application decide
AF - Let application decide
Catalyst AI - Standard (what does this do anyway??)
MipMap Detail level - Quality
Trueform - Always off
Direct 3D settings - Only Support DXT texture formats is ticked. Enable geometry instancing and alternate pixel centre are not ticked

Dunno if that gives any clues?

Heres a pic. Just did it again, max details, 6xAA, 16xAF and V-Sync disabled

Let me know if there are other combinations of Stress test video settings that you want me to try

I befor i ran this with firefox open and i got 108FPS so your problem could be to things running in your memory i.e. spywars and extra start up stuff.

EDIT:I have a 3000+ winnie 1gb corsair and x850xt not PE

I remember I got 138 or something before on that test and I just took it and I got 108.. but that was after I had apps open and such.. however I still get like 40-50 fps average in games... :\

CS:S is a messed up game. The coding is purely messed.

Using the rig below, I get the exact same FPS at 800x600 no aa or af, as I do with 1280x1024 with 4xaa and 8xaf. It just doesn't make sense. I only play on an Office server and there's usually around 20 people there. I get between 20-120fps, averaging around 60fps. It's messed up.

OO yeh calibos, looks pretty right to me :) u get 96 for an x850xtpe, I get 90 for my ultra :)

Back