AVG Anti-virus and Anti-Spyware $10 AR YMMV

Turd Furguson

Limp Gawd
I went to my local Staples this afternoon and found they had this package on sale. So this is YMMV.

Original Price = $19.99
Rebate = $10
AR Price = $9.99

Package comes with a 2-year subscription with free program and definition updates.

You will get it for free if you purchase a PC.

Microsoft Security Essentials is free for Windows XP and Windows 7 for those who didn't know?

I thought AVG was free?

But if Win 7 has free Anti Virus that's better, I'll definitely tune in.

Get the Microsoft Security Essential 2 Beta, I find it better than the first.

Did you click the download link? It's from July!

Pretty sure that has already been integrated into the standard download of MSE.

EDIT: Ok, so the version on that Beta is:
Security Essentials Version: 2.0.375.0
Antimalware Client Version: 3.0.6509.0

And on the official download it's:
Microsoft Security Essentials Version: 1.0.1963.0
Antimalware Client Version: 2.1.6805.0

So the new version has been in Beta for over 2 months? Yeesh. I don't see any difference in the UI... unfortunately, it could use an Advanced mode with more tweaks.

Last edited:
Did you click the download link? It's from July!

Pretty sure that has already been integrated into the standard download of MSE.

And I have downloaded MSE from the link above mine before (around 1-2 week ago) to install on another computer and it did show up as MSE 1, unless they updated MSE within that time period.

Been playing around with the Beta on my virus test VM. Only caught 1 out of 5 0-days off the Malware Domain list. D:
Then again, so did my AV, Avast. hehe
0-days are fun.

Not to mention most threats these days are spyware/adware that ACT like viruses. So, the more important protection is for those threats. Malwarebytes still rules that area. MSE is a good all in one though and is free for full features.

About 2.5 years ago it had one of the highest detection rates on AV Comparitives if I remember correctly. But for the last couple of years it's been garbage.

Okay, it did fine in the on demand tests, but still considerably worse than Avira, and it sucked at the retrospective tests. So it still wasn't worth using.

how is the removal of avg free?
I have it on one of my systems and I will change to security essentials

My wife has 2 infected machines that I'm rebuilding that BOTH had MSE. I'm looking for something better. And I _DO_ block p2p traffic on my network in/out so it's not that.

My wife has 2 infected machines that I'm rebuilding that BOTH had MSE. I'm looking for something better. And I _DO_ block p2p traffic on my network in/out so it's not that.

Also, might want to teach your wife safe internet usage. ;)

Also, might want to teach your wife safe internet usage. ;)

She doesn't run random executables or open attachments. She doesn't install any software (she'll ask me to do it/set it up if she needs something).

She doesn't use outlook.

Any other suggestions?

Both boxes are up-to-date, have MSE and have all OS patches.

She primarily goes to websites in Portuguese (her first language). I figure she got some drive-by install(s) in IE. I can't figure out where else malware would have come from.

Use a different browser, use Noscript, use OpenDNS and consider using Untangle or Astaro.

An antivirus alone can't keep you protected. You have to do everything you can and you'll still get bitten at least occasionally.

Thank you all.
The for sale and virus removal thread LOL

thanks for the link white_devil

Back