Avira Free detection rates vs Premium's

based on their site's comparison these are the differences between the free and the premium version.

I did see that, but I wanted to know whether the detection rates would be different even for features that are included in both the free and premium versions.

I'd imagine the pay for products are superior in detection and cleaning, as..based on the link comparing the products, they have extra features to help with todays aggressively evolving malware....behavior detection, webguard, and anti-driveby.

I think I wasn't phrasing my question clearly. So for example, according to the 1st line of the comparison chart on Avira's website, both the free and premium versions have "protection against viruses, worms and Trojans". Does this mean that both versions will detect viruses, worms and Trojans at the same rate as stated in AV-Comparatives' test, or does the free version, which has the same feature as the premium in this one respect, detect at a lower rate? I'm not asking whether the premium detects at a higher rate because it has more features than the free version, I'm asking if even the features shared by both free and premium have the same detection rate. I'm curious about this because I'm considering switching to Avira free, so I want to know if I should take AV-Comparatives' test numbers for Avira as it is, or imagine that it should be slightly lower for the free version.

Rephrased answer, I'm certainly bet that the free version is indeed lower in protection, as it's missing those extra features that the higher versions have. Behavior based detection, and anti-driveby, being two big features against todays big threats of rogues.

You're trying to compare just those first 3 features in the chart...but you cannot close your eyes to the fact that the higher versions have those additional features on their site. The base scanning engine I'd bet is the same across the versions..so that in itself, if you had the premium edition and disabled those other features...would most likely perform the same and use the same definition sets (although from lower priority update servers). But why would you crippler the premium version by disabling those additional 3 important features? You wouldn't..thus, due to those additional features, its detection and removable capabilities should be higher.

The first 3 features are all I'm interested in comparing at the moment. It's because I'm only considering free AV programs as my choices, so I wanted to compare them on an equal footing. As long as Avira's base features that are shared by both the free and premium have the same detection rate, that's all that matters to me. Which is how I'm interpreting what you meant when you said
The base scanning engine I'd bet is the same across the versions..so that in itself, if you had the premium edition and disabled those other features...would most likely perform the same and use the same definition sets (although from lower priority update servers).
Am I understanding you correctly?

I would agree with Stonecat in saying that the scanning engine would be the same, its the extra features like real time scanning that you pay for with the premium versions.

the free avira does real time IIRC

i think one of my laptops still has avira free... we got a license at work for avira professional and i have been pretty happy with it so far

Back