Avoiding Japanese Earthquake Disaster Scams

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Every time there is a major disaster, the bottom feeding pond scum goes on a tear and floods the internet with scams to divert your donations to their accounts. The good news is most scammers out there usually make mistakes that you can spot, so take some time and research before you donate.

To make sure you’re not getting worked over by an online criminal, never give out your PIN code, driver’s license number, phone number of date of birth. None of that information is required by legitimate sites such as the Red Cross or Disaster Donate.

Here's a hint, donations never reach the people that need it. Don't trust those fuckers, one bit.

And Japan has how much money ?

In this case even Red Cross and Disaster Donate doesnt need to step in, it would merely be to secure their own survival.
Japan can easily handle it themselfes.

(ofcourse if Japan really needs help they should get it, it wasnt meant as they shouldnt)

Amazon.com has the red cross donation link in the upper right hand corner of their homepage. I used that link to donate a few bones since it allowed me to use my Amazon Payments account.

And Japan has how much money ?

In this case even Red Cross and Disaster Donate doesnt need to step in, it would merely be to secure their own survival.
Japan can easily handle it themselfes.

(ofcourse if Japan really needs help they should get it, it wasnt meant as they shouldnt)

Well if they feel they don't need it they can decline some foreign aid. I remember hearing about our gov declining some foreign aid during the Hurricane Katrina disaster.

Japan's economy is pretty bad already...I hope they can get back on their feet.

IIRC, Japan's debt is double their national GDP.

On an unrelated note, Toyota sold more than 2 million Prii (plural for Prius) to date. I guess most of their profits went to offset the stupid lawsuits in the States. That money would have helped the residents in the tsunami-hit areas.

Oh, another unrelated note, insurance companies' stocks are falling. Good time to invest! Mwahaha

what happened to all the donations that went to haiti...its been over a year and I dont think that country is rebuilt...

what happened to all the donations that went to haiti...its been over a year and I dont think that country is rebuilt...

Living in south Florida and knowing a bit about Hati I can tell you that country was in pieces even before the quake hit. You can't rebuild something that was already in shambles before the quake. Teach a person to fish and all that.

Guess what I meant with Japan having money is that they are a high-tech developed country that got all the means to handle it themselfes, debt or no debt, it's not like they are some third-world undeveloped country that really would need help.

But sure, if I had the money and time to go there and help out with my bare hands, removing rubble, then I'd prolly do it just for the hell of it, but giving money to some "organization" that uses 90% of the money for themselfes, having big corporate buildings and traveling around the world first class, then it's a no thanks.

Living in south Florida and knowing a bit about Hati I can tell you that country was in pieces even before the quake hit. You can't rebuild something that was already in shambles before the quake. Teach a person to fish and all that.

well being from the country right next to haiti i know they were in pieces or have always been in pieces also. Im still curious to know where all that money went to.

Well if they feel they don't need it they can decline some foreign aid. I remember hearing about our gov declining some foreign aid during the Hurricane Katrina disaster.

are you seriously comparing this to katrina?
this is nothing like katrina far FAR FAR worse than that
maybe you should take sometime and read about it

can we as a society just agree that it's ok to kill everyone trying to scam after a disaster?

That said, I know the Red Cross does good stuff, but I feel like they're really using disasters as ways to fund raise. If you donate money, there's no guarantee that money will actually go to what you're donating to. They simply add it to their funds, sure it MAY help, or you may end up paying for some other country (maybe you don't care about).

Geez, I read then POST this morning and then checked my mail. "Send money so we can help Japan". Yeah, right along with " I need to sell my Hockey Tickets, will be out of state. Send cashiers check".

I agree that japan doesn't need our help.. They may be in debt but so are we.. Some country's I get the impression that something like this would set them back into the dark ages.. Japan no.. I am not opposed to people helping either.. I hate the fact that after every disaster that happens we as Americans are innondated with commercials & billboards telling us we need to help. yet we are in debt & our own economy is a disaster..

All this said I do support the deployment of whatever troops we have int he area immeaditly following shit like this in an effort to help get people out of demolished buildings & what not.. But beyond the Immediate saving of human lives let the country fend for themselves.

I agree that japan doesn't need our help.. They may be in debt but so are we.. Some country's I get the impression that something like this would set them back into the dark ages.. Japan no.. I am not opposed to people helping either.. I hate the fact that after every disaster that happens we as Americans are innondated with commercials & billboards telling us we need to help. yet we are in debt & our own economy is a disaster..

All this said I do support the deployment of whatever troops we have int he area immeaditly following shit like this in an effort to help get people out of demolished buildings & what not.. But beyond the Immediate saving of human lives let the country fend for themselves.

By us helping, it allows United States Corporations a better chance of building contracts and materials imports to Japan. So by saying that you think we should not help, you are saying that we should not sell steel, wood and manpower to Japan to help OUR economy?

Back