Awesome Free Game! TA Spring Is a Hell of an RTS

MrSatan

Limp Gawd
I have seen a few threads about this game, but I figured I would make my own and tell people about this game. TA Spring is a mod for the ancient game Total Annihilation. Before you scream "Oh that sucks, that game is like 15 years old", which is the truth but the only thing the mod uses the textures and sounds from the original. TA Spring makes the game fully 3d and adds some awesome effects. A new version of the game came out yesterday and it even adds advanced water effects. The water-rippling rivals some of the newest games out there, every explosion and ship creates its own ripples and will put your rig to its knees when there is a massive amount of stuff going on. Also crank up the anistropic up to 8 times and the textures start to look very nice, even on par with Ground Control 2, which I still consider one of the best looking RTSs. If you have the power you can turn on active shadows for everything and even reflection mapping for the units. It is a very impressive for being completely free, all you need is the original TA content and you are good to go. Also the list of mods for it is quite large, containing Star Wars and Gundam armies besides the normal TA style. The fanbase is strong and is growing every day. It may be beta still, but the development is going strong with the game, ironing out bugs and adding awesome features. All in all, it really is an amazing accomplishment and if you like RTSs then pick it up and meet me online. I have only won one match so far and I still play it like mad.

HAHA I realize that I forgot to post the link to the main TA Spring site. Also Ill post some nice screenies for you guys.

TA Spring Official Site Link

And now for the fun part. SCREENIES!

http://taspring.clan-sy.com/screenshots/screen87.jpg
http://taspring.clan-sy.com/screenshots/screen88.jpg
http://taspring.clan-sy.com/screenshots/screen82.jpg

No Ganking Bandwidth Please. -Rich

Here is a link to the water physics in action
Water Physics Video

I played the original TA and it was awesome. Absolutely a blast to play in every way. Sometimes the pace was slow, sometimes fast. The explosions, sounds and graphics all wrapped together to give you a great feel for futuristic war.

Now I have lost my TA CD. Ack! :mad: I shall find it somewhere...

Thanks for the reminder, Mr. S. :)

Hehe, I know how you guys feel. I had lost mine as well, so I figured I know I payed for the damn thing, so I just downloaded another copy. It is well worth it, I am so damn addicted to this its not even funny. Best thing about this game, is that even with the TA install and downloading a bunch of maps for it it only takes up about 500 mb so far. Also I figured to post this on these forums because I know that most of should be able to figure out the installation and mods. Also if you have a problem with it ask me and I should be able to help.

Updated the thread with screenshots and a video of the action. CHECK IT OUT!

Total Anihilation was amazing. Also, TA: Kingdoms was highly underrated, especially once they patched it to fix the horrific ai and pathing.

Im glad some people seem stoked on it. Spring really deserves more popularity then it gets. My friend described it perfectly, "I feel like I am playing beta Counter-Strike, the game is soo cool and noone knows about it" So all of you start playing and join my games. Also if you do start playing, hit up this thread with your user name and we can have a match.

I've tried it and l do like it. Unfortunately, in any large-scale battle the game just floors my rig.

(also, I suck at it :p)

KillerMonkey said:
I've tried it and l do like it. Unfortunately, in any large-scale battle the game just floors my rig.

(also, I suck at it :p)
Yeah i know how you feel, I have only won one match so far. But even so I still like playing it and yes you gotta have a good rig to play it with nice settings.

O MY GOD!! TA is currently installed on my rig, and now i must go back to it. Thanks for this update. I knew about it, just never researched it. Wow, thanks!

Qwertyman said:
O MY GOD!! TA is currently installed on my rig, and now i must go back to it. Thanks for this update. I knew about it, just never researched it. Wow, thanks!

No problem friend, spread the word, Spring needs more players, i get tired of waiting to fill a game.

saber07 said:
does it have a large online community? this mod?
Yeah its getting there, there is maybe 150 people on it at once during peak hours

I had some screenshots in the post I made about TA Spring a week or two ago. The problem is, I cant find hardly anyone to play the damn game. I host, I get people that pop in "hey" then leave. This happens a few dozen times, maybe two or three peopel stick around, then someone whines "OmG can u change da map 2 _____".

Ehh... online gaming hasnt changed. BF2 pissed me off with what seemed like 10 year olds, same with TA Spring. Im trying out an idea with VPN to run a private server for a clan-ish deal. Anyone interested, PM me. Me and a few people have been playing the "not-study game" and practicing mass producing krogiths and stealth bombers, we'd love to have more real people to play.

give me a week then i'll be able to play, i gotta get used to the controls though and different maps.

Will try it when I get home.
Sweet that it uses the original models, just...I LIKE the isometric (whatever that view is called from the original TA) view. The view for this (from the screenies) is just annoying.

naw, the game still uses a non-rotatable view. its just rendered in a new way.

at least, i havnt figured out how to get out of the standard view.

hold shift and press middle mouse. That switches between the cameras, you can have different 3d ones that way.

bob said:
I had some screenshots in the post I made about TA Spring a week or two ago. The problem is, I cant find hardly anyone to play the damn game. I host, I get people that pop in "hey" then leave. This happens a few dozen times, maybe two or three peopel stick around, then someone whines "OmG can u change da map 2 _____".

Ehh... online gaming hasnt changed. BF2 pissed me off with what seemed like 10 year olds, same with TA Spring. Im trying out an idea with VPN to run a private server for a clan-ish deal. Anyone interested, PM me. Me and a few people have been playing the "not-study game" and practicing mass producing krogiths and stealth bombers, we'd love to have more real people to play.
Really i have had nothin but fun playin and hosting. I have only played a few games where they end up leaving, most of the time the games work out well.

Back