Awesome, NV Silencer 5!!! (Crappy Screws though)

I first got my NV5 Silencer last week. When I installed it, I applied thermal compound like I would on a cpu (ie. a very thin layer spread out with a razor). It dropped my temps a couple degrees, but didn't help much with the oc'ing. I could only get 390/1100 at 1.3v. I flashed to 1.4v and could get to about 400/1100.

Ambient = 35C
Idle = 59C
Load = 80C

So, I got bored today and reseated my NV5 and added quite a bit of AS Ceramique to the memory and core. I added about a small pea size drop to the memory and a little larger drop on the core. My temps dropped SIGNIFICANTLY. Unfortunately, one of the screws snapped off with a bit of the thread stuck inside while I was tightening the NV5 down. Thankfully, it's on a side where I don't think it will matter (The bottom right one by the molex connector). The screws are VERY fragile, so be careful.

My new temps (Keep in mind, these are WITH my 1.4 volt mod):

34C Ambient
48C Idle
61C Load

Awesome!

My new clocks.... *Drum Roll*

450/1.18

Try and tell me that isn't worth the $25 I paid on ebay.

What speeds could it do on the stock cooler? My PNY 6800GT is stuck @ 400/1100 w/stock cooler...

70mhz increase with nv5 seems insaine. Most reviews just got a decrease in temps and not much of a difference in overclock. Maybe the stock cooler was not properly seated?

I noticed that the nuts provided along with the rubber washers looks like trouble.. If I remeber right the size of the stud on the NV-5 is 2.4mm (you can find 2.4mm nuts at just about any electronic shop)..

I replaced my nuts with normal nuts that you can use a socket on (You can use the supplied nuts just fine as long as you are using a solid spacer that don't allow the nut to bottom out). I tossed the rubber spacers in my spare parts bin and drilled out the original back plate a little to allow the 2.4mm studs to slide right through the holes with the perfect amount of space needed...

It works perfectly.... I also used a small round blob on each memory and a little larger on the core. (After I cleaned them all with acetone..(not a good idea to use rubbing alcohol as is is oil based and leaves a film of oil behind..) I'm not sure about denatured alcohol though?
Anyhow I achieved a 460mhz/1250mhz on both 2D & 3D w/ 1.5v on all three voltage settings with the bios editing tool available. This OC is 24/7 stable on a Evga Ultra....

Note: I tightened the NV-5 down by holding the card sideways in the light and watching all four corners of the shim around the gpu and tightened slowly until all four corners of the shim slightly touched the heatsink... If you wanted to, you could back off each nut a little the same amount from the point of touching the shim, thats if you are worried about bending the pcb a little... I chose not to back them off, because it was allowing better contact between the memory and the NV-5....

I hope this helps to reduce the amount of users that will end up twisting off the stud, because the supplied nuts bottomed out.

Hey man, was the guy who sold it to you named like ftz934? He sold me his BFG 6800GT, then i saw he had a nv silencer on sale for $25, but it was already sold to someone named StrongBad1 or something, is that you?! lol

Back