Babylon A.D. blu-ray - No Playback

ballpoint

Gawd
Babylon A.D. blu-ray won't play on my PC. Pressing play causes WinDVD9 to crash and PowerDVD8 to just sit there like a dumb fuck.

I have the LG GC-H20L Blu-ray drive with copies of WinDVD9 Plus and PowerDVD8 Ultra running on Vista 64. I have updated the firmware on my drive to 1.03 which is the newest. No matter which patch I download neither WinDVD9 or PowerDVD8 will update. That's pretty frustrating. Even more frustrating they say shit like "this patch is only for the blu-ray version of PowerDVD8"... yeah that's the fucking version I have.

Anyhow just wondering if anyone else has a problem getting this disc to play? I'm guessing it's the effect of the wonderful DRM that is constantly getting shoved down our throats lately. Honestly, I'm somewhat of a tech person and I can barely count on shit working lately. Blu-ray is looking to be too much trouble for the average consumer... like my brother-in-law or parents would have any idea how to update firmware or go through the HDCP compliance hoops. What a revolting situation.

If it is a DRM problem you'll probably have to wait for a new patch/firmware. If it isn't' you can try reinstalling the aforementioned programs and see what happens.

The problem is that your parents or brother-in-law wouldn't play a blu ray from their PC. They drop it in their blu ray player or PS3 and could care less about DRM.

Playing blu rays from a PC isn't nearly as common a use case, so they (Blu ray producers) simply don't care.

I'm retarded sometimes. I was trying to download patches for the wrong version of PowerDvD. I have PowerDVD7 Ultra, not 8, lol. So, it works now. Can't get it to work in WinDVD9 though, but I'm starting to get used to that.

not worth it anyways.....

i just watched it and it wasnt anything great... or even good :(

Yeah, I've heard it's awful but I watch most anything with a big special effects budget. Too bad the patch I got for WinDVD downgraded it to 2 channel... tested with Rambo which had amazing surround last time I played it. So I reverted to the surround-capable version that won't play Babylon A.D. ... $7.50 down the drain.

So I'll probably start looking around for a blu-ray player. When a decent one hits $150 I'll pick it up.

I just watched it on my HTPC about 2 days ago......not worth the time. Anyways, you should head over to slysoft.com and buy anydvd while you still have a chance to get lifetime free updates. I used Slysoft AnyDVD as well as Total Media Theater to play it.

iwant anydvdHD lifetime but $86 US is steep.... i know it just gets more expensive..... :(

Welcome to the joys of HD media and the home computer!

Between the DRM system designed by IP lawyers rather then engineers and continual changes to the {standards}, its not for the weak willed.

I have the LG GGC-H20L blu-ray drive also. Babylon A.D. will not play for me either. I just watched Bangkok Dangerous on Blu-Ray with no problems. When trying to play Babylon A.D., the player tries to load the disc but hangs forever.

I have PowerDVD 8.0 Ultra patched to version 2217a. The firmware for the LG drive is patched to 1.03 also. I am using Windows XP Pro w/SP3 and all updates applied to date. Everything else is up to date too.

Blu-ray is fun. It's especially fun when you have guests over and the movie you just rented/bought won't work and even AnyDVD HD won't make it work. I've stopped buying and renting Blu-ray movies.

I picked up AnyDVD before the 1st, and now I see that it was extended to the 11th of Jan. Now I see that it has been extended (again) til the 18th! :mad:

I could have bought something else during that time.....

W1retap, have you given up on Blu-Ray?!? You have been my Yoda....

Now you can't just give up on them all together, you just have to test the new product before the presentation per say. I try to never sit down to watch a new movie with the wife without first throwing it in by myself to make sure it plays nice.

Now you can't just give up on them all together, you just have to test the new product before the presentation per say. I try to never sit down to watch a new movie with the wife without first throwing it in by myself to make sure it plays nice.
Right..... that's not how it's supposed to work. You're supposed to pop in a movie and it plays perfectly. That's why I paid the money I did for my setup.

I haven't given up on Blu-ray though, I just don't buy them, rent them, or watch them from the disk.

Right..... that's not how it's supposed to work. You're supposed to pop in a movie and it plays perfectly. That's why I paid the money I did for my setup.

I haven't given up on Blu-ray though, I just don't buy them, rent them, or watch them from the disk.

I didn't pay a lot of money for my blu-ray setup, just paid $90 for the driver, $70 TMT, and $88 Slysoft and I am all set. I don't considerer it alot of money, lemme just say "Blockbuster Blu-Ray Rentals , Slysoft, and MyMovies love one another" .

I got WinDVD9 to apply the latest update by uninstalling and doing some manual registry and folder clean-up before reinstalling. So I'm happy again. Still haven't seen Babylon A.D., but I'm sure I'm not missing much.

Back