Back to the Laptop scene after 3 years, where do I start?

Epsilon

n00b
I bought an awsome computer my freshman year of college from Viscious PC who has since gone out of business. Something happened with the power supply cord, and I can't get a replacement and I'm not 100% positive that the mobo didn't get fried as well. Im going to get it checked out before I make my purchase, but Im pretty sure ill be needing a new laptop.

I custom built my last laptop from the ground up, I would like to go through a company that will hopefully stay in business longer this time around but Im not completely put off of boutique shops since my last experience was so good.

A few questions:
What are the best current graphics options for gaming/performance laptops?
What processors currently offer the best bargain/speed ratio?
A 80-120 GB HD will do me fine, but is there any company offering higher than 7200 RPM drives?
MORE IMPORTANTLY: can someone point me in the direction of a good place to start looking at CUSTOMIZABLE laptops. The prebuilt laptops just don't seem to ever suit me.

Actually, if you can find the Gateway P-171X FX Edition, snap it up:

http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529667906.php

The 8800M GTS is considered one of the best price/performance notebook GPUs out there. It's actually not far off from the 9600 GT desktop part. The CPU is the tricky bit: if you can't find the 171X, the 171S is more likely. That's a step down (2GHz, earlier generation), but it may be worthwhile if you're more likely to be playing GPU-dependent games.

I'd steer clear of systems that include Core 2 Extreme or SLI graphics, personally. The added cost will only sometimes translate to more performance, and it's these systems which are usually too thick and heavy (not to mention hot-running) to really be considered notebooks.

I've been in the market for a laptop as well. I will soon be losing my corporate Dell D630 and need something as powerfull.

Sager Notebooks seems to be a popular choice amongst Mobile Enthusiasts. Xotic PC seems to be a popular choice for getting the Sager Notebooks. I myself am looking at either a Sager NP5793 or a Sager NP9262. These two are highly customizable. In addition, the Sager NP9262 runs Desktop CPUs (up to a Q6700). A lot will depend on your budget as these setups are not cheap. These are however as close to a full desktop replacement as you will get. Yes Dell & Alienware (and other boutiques) are available, but they can cost upwards of $2K more.

Dell XPS M1530 or the Lenevo T61P make for a pretty good gaming laptop, high middle end to low top end would be where I would peg them.

Good Luck

You can grab a T61P for dirt cheap until monday if you are interested in them, they max out graphically with a 256mb Quadro FX570m so its not high end but still a good mid range card.

Use http://www.lenovo.com/cpp Code:556655 to get the good deals

ThinkPad T61 15" Widescreen - 1 Yr Depot Warranty
$1,092.65

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor T8300 (2.4GHz 800MHz 3MBL2)
Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium
15.4" WSXGA+ TFT
NVIDIA Quadro FX 570M (256MB Open GL)
2 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz SODIMM Memory (1 DIMM)
Pointing Device: UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad)
Hard Drive: 160GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
Optical device: DVD Recordable 8x Max Dual Layer, Ultrabay
System expansion slots: PC Card Slot & Express Card
4 in 1 Media Card Reader
Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
6 cell Li-Ion Battery

i just got an asus g1 from the egg for $1500 and i love it. 2.4gz 2 gb ram and 8600gt with 256 ddr3 and 512 cache. i can play TF2 at 1600-1050 maxxed out with 60 fps average under netgraph 1. The gateway laptop is a steal if you can find it but the 1.6 cpu limits it performance wise if your looking for an all in one laptop. I didnt get the asus to game on but i am really impressed with what asus has done with there laptops.

DEF spend the time looking at asus products. Mine is an all around beast.

I have been looking through the suggestions and I agree that the Gateway P-171X FX would be a great buy... if they had them in stock. I originally almost bought a sager as my first laptop, and the 2092 seem like it might fit the bill as i really don't think i want/need a 17" screen.

The asus look great but seem to be slightly more expensive than the sager... with equal or lesser performance, im still pricing them out.

I just priced a sager 2092 directly off of the sager website and came up with this setup:
Display: 15.4" WSXGA+ LCD with Super Glossy Surface (1680X1050)[+$85.00]
- Processor: 45nm Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T9300 / 6MB L2 Cache, 2.50GHz, 800MHz FSB[+$255.00]
- Video & Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT Graphics with 512MB DDR2 Video Memory
- Operating System: Genuine MS Windows® VISTA ULTIMATE 32/64-Bit Edition[+$80.00]
- Memory: 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz - 2 X 2048MB[+$75.00]
- Primary Hard Disk Drive: 200GB 7200rpm SATA 150 Hard Drive[+$145.00]
- Optical Drive: 8X DVD±R/RW/4X +DL Super-Multi Drive & Software
- Wireless Network Card: Intel PRO/Wireless 4965AGN - 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN Module
- Bluetooth: Internal Bluetooth Module
- Intel Robson Technology: Intel 1GB TurboMemory Module[+$35.00]
- Primary Battery: Smart Li-ION Battery Pack (9 Cells)
- TV-Tuner: TV-Tuner with Standard Remote Control[+$90.00]
- Microsoft Office: Microsoft Office Ready with Free 60-Day Trial
- Warranty: Sager 1 Year Limited Parts and Labor Warranty with Three-Day Shipping Both Ways Paid
Including shipping I would be paying only $1799.40

What do you think of this setup, its the cheapest price I have found for these specs.

Ok so I managed to answer my most of my own questions after reading through random websites and many random web searches but the one I still have is:

If I am going to have a core 2 duo processor and 4G of ram, do i need windows vista ultimate 64 bit to take full advantage or can i use home edition?

At this point my plan is to get a sager 2092 similar to the one listed above, with 1G of ram and then buy 4G off the egg and install it myself to save a couple bucks.

You can use a 32-bit edition and Vista will see around anywhere from 3GB to 3.5GB. You should be fine though. The 64-bit OSes haven't come that far yet, I would just go with 32.

I would highly recommend lenovo or asus.

Going with a business based laptop will be ensure the higest level of reliability and portability.

The 13" form factor is a real winner in my book, they are sexy, functional and suitable for most types of usage (save gaming).

Epsilon, I also have just started researching laptops (this being my first), and I also found the sager book you posted earlier as one of my favorites. With the special $120 price cut on that model at the moment I am very tempted to purchase one.

I enjoy gaming, and the one thing I question is if the 8600M would be the right selection. I read it could not compete with the desktop version of the 8600. I wish there was at least one higher video card option on the N2092.

MirageMobile,
Someone in another thread just pointed me to resellerratings.com and I checked out sager. They have a lifetime rating of about 5 out of 10. It seems like customers either got a great laptop which is exactly what they wanted, or the exact opposite. Seems like everyone who had a problem went through hell with customer service and had to pay for shipping themselves for all issues, including those due to the manufacturer.

Im starting to rethink my sager purchase, just thought I would put that info out there.

Back