Backing up your WHS (online)

nodle

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok I would really like to get an offsite back for my WHS data. Now I know there are quite a few offsite hosting solutions such as Mozy and Carbonite. The deal is most don't place nicely with WHS. Or they want to charge you for a "business" plan. So I was thinking of this solution after reading online. I have about 1.5 terabytes of info that I would like to backup btw. I was thinking about using one of my extra computers to sync the data to from my shares then install Mozy software on it and have it pull the data from there. I was thinking about having a program installed on the machine such as Memeo to monitor changes pointed the the folders on my WHS machine. As I add/delete files to my WHS, the software would make a duplicate on the other machine and then upload the changes to Mozy. Does this sound like it would work? Has anyone every tried this before? BTW I know 1.4 terabytes of data is alot, I may try to go through it and get it down to around 600gigs. I would like to hear any ideas on what I could do better. Thanks again! :)

I've thought the same thing. Using the SyncToy to copy data from WHS to another PC and then using PC and Mozy to get data online.

Installed mozy on a VM and enabled the backup of network shares through a registry edit.

My problem with this is, that my internet upload is slow :(

Installed mozy on a VM and enabled the backup of network shares through a registry edit.

My problem with this is, that my internet upload is slow :(

I have thought about this also. I plan on maybe using the QOS of my tomato router to schedule a time so that it's wide open during the day while I am at work then cut back during the evening hours and then open back wide overnight.

crashplan works on WHS and there are some different Amazon S3 addins

check out wegotserved.com

You could try NovaBACKUP (www.novastor.com) I havn't personally tried it it on WHS, but it should work just fine. I do work for NovaStor, so I might be a little biased. :)

It has options to FTP, Amazon S3, and a number of different online service providers some as low as I believe $50 a year for 100gb

+1 for CrashPlan. They have decent upload speeds (G-R-E-A-T compared to Carbonite, who throttles you back to ~100 kbps after ~200GB is reached). Also check on Backblaze, though I can't remember if they restrict the use on WHS. They're another provider that generally gets strong reviews.

Back