Backup solution needed

Nomad

2[H]4U
I just put together a WHS 2011 box - and the first thing I did was add a 3Tb drive to store some linux ISOs. I add some backup drives and WHS barks at me that it doesn't support backing up disks larger than 2Tb. Hello x64...

Here is my problem - I need a way to backup this data. Can someone point me towards an inexpensive solution to deal with this? I am talking ~2Tb of data.

Nothing? I would think about a straight sync - but that is a little intrusive? Anything guys?

Thanks - I have 18Tb of space in the machine - the space isn't the issue. What I need is to automate the process of backing up the data. WHS doesn't allow backup of disks larger than 2Tb.

If i understand what you want correctly crashplan should do what you need, and if you don't need real time backups the free version is fine.

I don't really see the point in backing up linux ISOs to be honest with you. Burn them, and the disc is the backup. Or just redownload them - you're looking at like 10 minutes per disc on any decent connection.

I didn't read that as: linux ISOs. I read it as: linux ISOs ;)

Can you get 2 x 2tb drives and back up your data in 2 chunks?

I've not used WHS, but the windows backup tool in the SBS 2011 Console kinda sucks because it won't let you point it to a network share. I assume its the same in WHS. Can you get to the standard Windows Server backup utility in WHS? If so, you can setup a job that points to a network share. Then you just need to setup another NAS like openfiler, freenas, etc to hold your backup disks... (you have the ISO's already...right? :)).

Yeah the backup tool in WHS 2011 is lame. I just use robocopy commands that output to a log file.

WHS (home server) is based on M$ Server 2008 -- and doesn't support backing up disks larger than 2Tb (at all). Sucks.

I will take a look at Crashplan and see how it work.

And - yes -- ~2.5Tb of Linux ISOs....

Back