Bad Axe 2 Northbridge cooling opinions?

AndyM

Limp Gawd
I presently building a 6600 system on a BA2 with a Tuniq Tower. Origionally I was planning on having the open bottom edge of the Tuniq fan pulling air across the stock Northbridge heat sink, but after actually starting the build last night, I found that the Tuniq can only be mounted one way (not that way I planned). Which gets to my question...is the stock cooling solution for the Northbridge adequate when OC'ing with just case airflow blowing around it vs. a nice draft off the stock CPU cooler as I imagine Intel intended? My goal is to hit the magic 3.6 1:1 with 400 fsb OC at this point.

I found your thread while searching for the same issue.

I am finding that, at least to the touch, the stock cooling isn't terribly effective. My E6300 won't break 55*C on a warm day, under a Tt Tower112. But the NB HS if quite warm, under no load, on a cool day, with the case side off.

Anyone have opinions on some nice aftermarket cooling for the BA2's NB? Would this topic get a better reply from the OCing & Cooling section?

-bZj

A couple of config changes down the road...I think I have a good answer in this thread (towards the end). Probably would do a better job passively than the stock cooler as well.

I was just thinking about this the other day but haven't messed with it. I did take the nb heatsink off and apply some as5. The original wasn't too effective and basically crumbled to powder when removed. I have no idea if it gets warm. I'm sure it does. I have a whole box of small chipset cooling fans from papst sitting here. Perhaps I'll try one those those.

I saw your thread, AndyM, w/the HR-05 (nice new setup, BTW). I was looking at the same NB cooler. I don't know if I can fit a standard 80mm fan in there though, with my Tower112 - it's no Tunic, but still quite large.

For some sort of reference in the 975/stock heat output:
I used one of my CoolDrive6 temp probes to monitor my 6600GT, and it is normally around 35*C. When the same probe is on the NB, it runs between 40-45*C. I'll be getting an HR-05 as soon as I can. :)

-bZj

Back