Bad axe 2

danny_discus said:
Here are some answers that some have asked. I purchased the BOX version off of Newegg, the price was very high at the time (about a month ago). They have it on sale for $249 right now, but noticed others are selling it for cheaper. The water block on the NB is from Danger Den. The mounting plate is specially designed for the Bad Axe 1/2 boards and I can truly say it does fit like a glove. So far I can raise the NB voltage over 2.1 volts, don't want to try any higher. :D Here is the link:
http://www.dangerdenstore.com/product.php?productid=251&cat=46&page=1

Updates on the E6300:
1.282 volts - 3.29 ghz - 470 fsb - Prime95 stable - Doing more testing :)
This is a nice overclocking chip! Also Bad Axe 2 only goes to 500 fsb max in bios :( just to tell everyone.
Did I read that right? 470 fsb? Unless I am mistaken isn't that pretty fuckin good for 975X?

deeznuts said:
Did I read that right? 470 fsb? Unless I am mistaken isn't that pretty fuckin good for 975X?

LOL, yes you read it right. After that I got greedy and tried to jump up to 500 FSB and that didn't work. Dropped down to 495 FSB and was able to boot into windows and that was about it. Did some more tweaking and testing and dropped the vFSB down just a little and found out that the max FSB dropped quickly. Decided thats whats holding me back and am going to look into doing a vFSB mod on the board to see if it helps. I will keep everyone posted on updates.

My BA2 should arrive on Thursday. I'll post in here if it comes with the eSATA port (of if it doesn't).

Has anyone replaced the NB cooler with an active air solution? I ordered a Swiftech MCX159-CU thinking I was going to get an Asus motherboard, but opted for the BA2 instead. I'm wondering if the Swiftech is going to fit, since the NB is right below the secondary PCI-E bus.

danny_discus said:
LOL, yes you read it right. After that I got greedy and tried to jump up to 500 FSB and that didn't work. Dropped down to 495 FSB and was able to boot into windows and that was about it. Did some more tweaking and testing and dropped the vFSB down just a little and found out that the max FSB dropped quickly. Decided thats whats holding me back and am going to look into doing a vFSB mod on the board to see if it helps. I will keep everyone posted on updates.
still a good result. i'm keeping my eye on this one really close.

UPDATES:

Here is what I have gotten so far(below) with the uber E6300 and Bad Axe 2. This is with ~1.55 volts to the processor, 1.6 volts to the FSB, and...hold onto your seat...2.35 volts to the MCH. This is crazy voltage to the northbridge, with my P5W DH Deluxe I wasn't able to boot with over 1.9 volts to MCH. To get this high I had to put a fan over the heatsink on the southbridge or else it wouldn't boot over ~2.15 volts. I need to get another waterblock for the southbridge, I believe it would help out alot. I would have it 1:1 with the memory but the sticks run into problems at around 475 FSB. This is a crazy ass board compared to other ones available with the 975 chipset. I was also able to boot into BIOS at 500 FSB but screwy things happened when trying to go any further. The waterblock on the southbridge should help that out. Haven't tried Prime95 stability or 495 FSB as I am going to game a little now. :) Oh, one more thing, I don't believe the higher voltage from the vFSB mod did anything, although it did go from 1.49 volts to 1.59 volts. :(

Cheers!

1MBSuperPiE6300at3.jpg

E6300at500FSBBIOS.jpg

If anyone is interested, my BA2 arrived today from ZZF and it does, indeed, have a red eSATA connector, so the pic on ZZF's website is wrong. I suspect the pics showing four all-blue ports are of BA1s, not 2s. Still, I would be careful when making a purchase. I'm still waiting on the processor and RAM, but it looks like a pretty solid 'board.

Still, I made a number of boneheaded decisions about this system upgrade. First and foremost, I should've purchased the motherboard from someplace other than ZZF, as their price was very high (as is turns out). I also probably should've spent a little more on the videocard, as I opted for a Sapphire X1950Pro Ultimate (the one with the Zalman cooler), which I understand is not the best performer for its price point. I also bought a Swiftech MCX159-CU chipset cooler, which is looking more and more like it'll interfere with my Tuniq Tower.

Still, if the damn thing turns on and runs Vista like I *think* it should, I'll be happy. Wish me luck.

Back