Bad bios flash... can anything be done??

Incramus

Limp Gawd
I was trying to flash my bios and I thought everything went good.... it said 100% so I restarted to find out that I had no video just a black screen, I tried talking out the battery for 30 mins and re-setting the jumpers but didn't have any luck... is there something I may have missed that i can try or do I have to send it in??

Thanks.

I would just call the manufacturer of your board man. They'll have to send you out a new chip.

I was trying to flash my bios and I thought everything went good.... it said 100% so I restarted to find out that I had no video just a black screen, I tried talking out the battery for 30 mins and re-setting the jumpers but didn't have any luck... is there something I may have missed that i can try or do I have to send it in??

Thanks.

Most builders have an "emergency" like floppy disk pressing esc or something and force flash the bios. Check into it. What board BTW?

If you want a backup chip you can always hotswap your bad bios chip with your new one and reflash it.

If you want a backup chip you can always hotswap your bad bios chip with your new one and reflash it.

Are you serious?

This has to be the worse advice I have seen on here in a long time.

You are asking for major hardware failures.

Because anyone that had an even a basic understanding of electronics would understand that you don't just go randomly unplugging stuff with power applied. EEPROM chips are not designed to be unplugged with power applied. Especially the PLCC formfactor of most bios chips.

Pulling the Bios chip while the computer is powered up is the exact same as pulling the video card, CPU, Memory etc.. I would certianly hope that you wouldn't recommend that to someone.

Doing so is asking for the "Major Hardware Failure" you find so funny.

So I guess when I hot swapped a bad NF7-S v2 motherboard bios chip and reflashed it I was just lucky? :rolleyes:

So I guess when I hot swapped a bad NF7-S v2 motherboard bios chip and reflashed it I was just lucky? :rolleyes:

Basically Yes. You are very lucky you didn't take the EEPROM and the Motherboard with it.

I honestly don't get why there is an arguement here. Its a bad idea period.

Same thing as...

I played Russian Roulette and won. Great! But If you play it a coulpe more times you are almost certianly going to lose.

Basically Yes. You are very lucky you didn't take the EEPROM and the Motherboard with it.

I honestly don't get why there is an arguement here. Its a bad idea period.

There is no argument here. Hot swapping bios chips works, plain and simple.

Unless you are a klutz or do not have the proper tools there is very little risk involved. I fail to see if it was so dangerous why quite a few people have done it successfully before. Do a google search, there are guides for it and I have yet to see a "ZOMG fried my stuffz doing hotswap" post anywhere.

There is no argument here. Hot swapping bios chips works, plain and simple.

Unless you are a klutz or do not have the proper tools there is very little risk involved. I fail to see if it was so dangerous why quite a few people have done it successfully before. Do a google search, there are guides for it and I have yet to see a "ZOMG fried my stuffz doing hotswap" post anywhere.

Cool have fun.

I suppose we will hear from you soon how its OK, because you read it on a guide somewhere and it worked for you 1 time to swap memory with power applied, or expansion cards.

Proper tools? The only tool I can think of that would be required is a PLCC chip puller. Even having that tool (Which I do) doesn't change the fact that pulling the bios chip with power applied is a stupid idea.

The real proper tool for the job would be an univerisal flash programmer.

I personally couldn't care what you do with your stuff, just dont give really bad advice to other people when you really don't know what you are talking about.

Cool have fun.

Have fun with what?

I suppose we will hear from you soon how its OK, because you read it on a guide somewhere and it worked for you 1 time to swap memory with power applied, or expansion cards.

Because those are the exact same things as Bios chips, right? :rolleyes:

Any more stories you would like to make up?

Proper tools? The only tool I can think of that would be required is a PLCC chip puller. Even having that tool (Which I do) doesn't change the fact that pulling the bios chip with power applied is a stupid idea.

But it works, right?

The real proper tool for the job would be an univerisal flash programmer.

Indeed. But I don't think the topic creator has one.

I personally couldn't care what you do with your stuff, just dont give really bad advice to other people when you really don't know what you are talking about.

I know what I am talking about from experience. How much experience do you have in hot swapping bios? You said it will cause major hardware failures but I somehow doubt you have attempted it before since your so against it.

Hot swapping bios chips works, plain and simple.
I've read about it, and it sounded like it could be problematic because of the power issue, but I've never read of any problems. I don't think klutzy me would have the cojones to try it.

I also hot swapped on an NF7-S rev 2. I played around with the thing so much it was inevitable I would have had a bad bios flash at some point.

I'm a little bit amazed to see such a negative reaction to something like this on this forum. I thought doing things like hot swapping were what this forum was all about.

Not siding with anyone, but it has done by many users before, hot-swapping actually works for those who know how to do it properly. Not for the faint of heart, I will tell you that. I myself have never tried it since I never need to.

Back