BAD humming using Audigy to Reciever

d34dly

2[H]4U
Ok so everytime I use my the PC to Reciever (6.1 out to Muli-channel analog on the reciever) The bass hums really bad. Is this just interference from my comp? Because it is driving me nuts.

And on another note....

On of the channels from the PC is all garbled. It sounds like someone talking through a pillow underwater. Horrible.

All of these problems exist only when I go from PC ---> Reciever.

And they only started happening recently.

You have a ground loop.

You stereo assumes the ground of the cable line (because it all uses 2 prong plugs). Your PC has a 3 prong plug so, it has a ground from the outlet it's plugged into. They two grounds are not the same, and you get a 120Hz hum through your system.

The two problems could very well be only one.... lets hope that once you rectify the ground loop that the garbled sound thing gets fixed as well. If not then we have our work cut out for us huh? :p

Mister X said:
The two problems could very well be only one.... lets hope that once you rectify the ground loop that the garbled sound thing gets fixed as well. If not then we have our work cut out for us huh? :p

Yeah... alright sounds good. Time to get to work.

Ok so it is a ground loop. Unplugged the stereo plugs from the TV to reciever until I can get an isolator.

But the garble is still there. and it lies in the center channel.

I dont think it is the reciever because movies work just fine (movies from my DVD player that is).

If you don't use the 5.1 (or 6.1, 7.1) discrete channels and only use the spdif connection just use a optical cable instead of a coaxial one.

marcosantos said:
If you don't use the 5.1 (or 6.1, 7.1) discrete channels and only use the spdif connection just use a optical cable instead of a coaxial one.

Nope I use the discrete.

Mister X said:
So whats the story today?
Center channel still borked?

Yup... tried everything. I thought for a while that the Creative Karaoke feature might be turned on but it didn't fix anything. Still being stupid.

Back