Bad Situation some assistance please

ProOC

Limp Gawd
My machine just freaked out. I went to this website and I got all these popups and then it just went berserk and I couldn't click anything, so I restarted my machine and lowered my vcore overvoltage to where I normally had it thinking that may have had something to do with it, but when it rebooted my norton antivirus task tray icon was gone and my harddrive was going crazy. After about 5 seconds of having no clue I check resources, try executing stuff, etc... Something is wrong and my HD is pinned.

I am posting this from my laptop because every time I turn my pc on it just does the same thing. Sit there with the HD pinned and pretty useless and I don't know what it's doing so I won't turn it back on.

use your laptop to make a virus scan disk. Then boot off of the floppy in write protect mode and scan that badboy. Fprot makes a freebie I believe.

You may be toast, try the virus scan rescue disk suggestion.

Have you tried safe mode? Maybe you could remove whatever was installed or at least check if it works fine.

- Also try a system restore if safemode works.

This laptop doesn't have a floppy drive in it so I can't create these disks. I have been wanting to reinstall windows for a while now anyway and I am going to partition it into a few drives or whatever so Ill prolly just reinstall windows. I just need to get some data off the drive, I wonder what the best way is... wait.... I have another pc and it has a floppy drive, ehhe I can either use that to make disks or I can use it to retreive data from the HD, shit!... it's a sata drive and I dont think this other PC supports sata, OMFG, hahhaha

I'll figure something out I guess. Thanks for all the info people.

Get a 2.5" IDE to 3.5" IDE converter. Then you can remove the HDD from the laptop and access it in a desktop system. Make sure your virus scan on the desktop is up to date and scan the laptop's drive before you get the data off.

edit: D'oh, it's the other way around. Can you take the desktop HDD to a friends machine, scan it and back up there, then copy the data back once you format and reload.

Originally posted by Phoenix86
Get a 2.5" IDE to 3.5" IDE converter. Then you can remove the HDD from the laptop and access it in a desktop system. Make sure your virus scan on the desktop is up to date and scan the laptop's drive before you get the data off.

edit: D'oh, it's the other way around. Can you take the desktop HDD to a friends machine, scan it and back up there, then copy the data back once you format and reload.
I wouldnt do that, he most likely has a nasty virus or 2 on that hard drive and I wouldnt go hooking up an infected drive to my WORKING computer...

Originally posted by Grizzy
I wouldnt do that, he most likely has a nasty virus or 2 on that hard drive and I wouldnt go hooking up an infected drive to my WORKING computer...

Why would it matter? If you have antivirus it wouldn't transfer over, plus, you're not booting off of the laptop hard drive. There is nothing to worry about.

Well I went and did the boot the last known good configuration after pressing f8 during boot and it went and did a disk check which found some issues and fixed them. I am currently posting away on my pc without the harddrive being tacked and my norton icon is back.

Should I still be worried? What the hell happened here?

One thing that was wierd is my sql server didn't autostart like it usually does, the little icon for the manager is in my task tray, but it didn't start the sql service. Hmmmm... I don't know.

Maybe I should reinstall anyway? Thanks

Well the free virus scan says I'm clean. I guess I am all good then. Still kinda sketchy. I don't like not knowing what totally went on with my pc. Thanks again all.

If you can get your data off of the drive, now that things are mostly working ok - do so, then do the reinstall. Even though it is working better now, not knowing what the hell actually occurred is a bad thing. It is better to be paranoid than pwned.

Back