bad time to get a lcd now?

is right now a bad time to get a lcd monitor? especially with all those emerging technologies on the horizon like oled, lower response time, etc (or whatever is coming up). are the prices on lcd monitors about as low as they will get in the next say 3-4 months?

i ask this because i am planning on getting a lcd monitor soon but i need it to last at least a good 3 years b4 i go to college. i don't want to buy a lcd monitor today and then 2 months down the road samsung introduces a newer, better badder monitor that makes my purchase look stupid.

That’s always a tough decision to make. It’s end of the year so you have new (higher priced) models coming out and older models (close outs) going out. I haven’t heard of any radical technology coming in the very near future, but stuff changes all the time.

Keep in mind any new Tech may or not be worth the wait, it’s always very expensive to be an early adopter. I try to let that stuff come down in price before I jump in.

At some point you need to decide, it’s kind of like not buying a new computer because something newer and faster will be out next week, month etc.

Enjoy the pain of your decision making process, it’s part of the fun ;)

BillR said:
*snip*
I haven’t heard of any radical technology coming in the very near future, but stuff changes all the time.
*snip*

I think LED array backlighting is supose to be out sometime soon isn't it?

swinchen said:
LCD's are NOW getting somewhat perfected, how long do u think they wil ltake for oled to be somewhat bug-less? Yep, wait at least 2 years b4 u grab an oled. I waited 2-3 years for lcd's to become good, and now i happily own one as of last week. Cheers

there isnt going to be any major change in the LCD market in the next 2 months. it takes more like 6-8 for something big to happen like a pricedrop or a new technology of some kind. right now the LCDs have reached a good point of size and performance and cost. the VP201B by viewsonic delivers decent picture quality, response time, and is now at a price unheard of 6-8 months ago (it went down by around 150 dollars from what i see, and thats alot) besides what new technology could you be thinking of anyway? the LCDs now are as good as they are going to get for the next several months so unless your looking for the next "big break" in technology just buy yourself one now and be happy. i myself am going to be purchasing either the VP201B or the new 19" viewsonic with 12 ms response time in the next 3-4 months or so

swinchen said:

I’m sure someone will build it, not sure when. I’m a freak when it comes to new toys but I’ve learned to wait a bit.

Look at LCOS TV…it was the hot tech everyone was waiting for all through 2003/04. Turns out it was a total disaster for everyone. Toshiba ended up buying them all back or providing different technology sets for their customers and the Philips version is just as bad.

As someone else just posted LCD is finally getting good and affordable, but it still has problems. For that matter look at all the posts about bad CRT sets.

I think LCD is finally hitting a sweet spot for performance and value. Ya pick your poison and take the plunge ;)

LCD prices probably aren't going to change much so that isn't anything to worry about. (yes they are getting better at making them but at the same time the demand for LCD displays has been doing nothing but go up, which is keeping the price pretty steady).

Soon there will be the introduction of 8ms and 10ms displays, how well these displays actually perform is left to be determined, whether they can deliver the same color quality and contrast of the current displays.

OLED is probably a ways off from being used in a decent sized computer monitor so I wouldn't worry about that. Basically, there will be a few improvements in the near future, but nothing too spectacular.

*edit*
(also, dont trust the advertised response time, that is usually the lowest response time the panel can deliver in special cases, many displays with higher response times perform better with less ghosting than the displays with lower response times. Before buying an LCD it is a good idea to see one in person so you can judge the display yourself, if at all possible.)

From what I have read recently about Organic Light Emitting Diodes (at my local idg site) OLED displays will only be used primarily i smaller displays up to 10" (Sony). Areas that are suitable are cellphones, cameras and PDAs where the dispaly is in use much shorter period of time – the lifetime is quite short, 1000-2000 hours compared to more than 10000 for TFTs. The OLED will be thinner (don't need a backlight), will show as many colors as TFT, and have a 0,000 01 sec pixelresponse!
Hence, I would't bother waiting for an OLED display for my computer. It might take years for a decent one to show up!?

There are many things sayd recently about the ViewSonic VP201 here at this forum. You should read and consider. (I would not buy that display)

GreenX said:
I'd wait til LCD get into the 8ms or less range.

You do that. The 8 ms displays will be around from several manufactures by the end of this year I think. Anyone knows more about this?

Vie2sonic had a press release when showing off the Vp192B 12ms 19" that in 3months they will be bringing out 8ms 17" LCD's.

The Lcd`s with 8ms isnt going to be out before the second quarter next year if i`am right,
Read this
LCD pixel response speed doubled
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=18269

And this
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/display/20040904144305.html

---
Benq verkar bli först med att lansera en skärm med en svarstid på endast 8 millisekunder. Andra tillverkare så som Philips och ViewSonic kommer att lansera skärmar med liknande specifikationer, åtminstone till årsskiftet.

Benq will be first, and then Philips and ViewSonic will release them at turn of the year?
But not for home users, and only proffisional use, if i`am correct.

And it seems like it is only the 17" tft`s that will be launched with 8ms the first period, and some months later the 19" tft`s

In quarter 1 2005 8ms LCDs will be launched however they will be maximum 17"
No one knows when and IF they are going to launch also 19" or bigger.

So if you plan getting a 17" better wait 3-4 months ,if you want to get 19",20" or bigger
get it now ,there is no sense to wait.

The general rule for ALL computer hardware is : GET IT WHEN YOU REALY NEED IT

or else you will wait for ever .... ;)

I think it is a pretty bad time to buy lcd's now. I was really hyped up about buying a 19" 12ms LCD but after seeing one in person I can safely say that the best LCD($900+) is much inferior to a good CRT monitor($250). LCDs are a bad investment right now unless you have a lot of money to throw around and can afford to upgrade your monitor in a year or less. I personally couldn't live with a monitor that,

1, Doesn't have the ability to change resolutions without looking like crap
2. Looks oddly pixelated in certain color modes. I.E. screen door effect.
3. Has extremely noticeable color banding.
4. Has inferior image quality yet costs 3 times as much as a CRT.
5. Has even minor ghosting in games. I know I would notice it on even a 12ms monitor because I'm an extremely picky person.
6. Would have to set v-sync on a get a big performance loss in games because of the default 60hz frequency lcds use. Tearing on an LCD is much more aparant than CRT tearing and boy is it ugly.

LCD's could be nice in the future but they're no where near CRT quality yet. They're a fun toy if you have the cash to throw around but not worth it for a serious investment.

peacetilence said:
I think it is a pretty bad time to buy lcd's now. I was really hyped up about buying a 19" 12ms LCD but after seeing one in person I can safely say that the best LCD($900+) is much inferior to a good CRT monitor($250). LCDs are a bad investment right now unless you have a lot of money to throw around and can afford to upgrade your monitor in a year or less. I personally couldn't live with a monitor that,

5. Has even minor ghosting in games. I know I would notice it on even a 12ms monitor because I'm an extremely picky person.
6. Would have to set v-sync on a get a big performance loss in games because of the default 60hz frequency lcds use. Tearing on an LCD is much more aparant than CRT tearing and boy is it ugly.

LCD's could be nice in the future but they're no where near CRT quality yet. They're a fun toy if you have the cash to throw around but not worth it for a serious investment.

You forgot to mention that they only refresh at 60fps whereas you can get 80+ fps on your CRT.

That fits in nicely in with the rest of your assumptions.

you forgot something very important . Eyestrain & radiation .
If you want to spend some money for the good health of your eyes and avoid
radiation then LCD is an excelent buy . Even more now that 19" 12ms LCD panels
are out and you can also play games on LCD without any problem.

I think now is the perfect time to get a 19" LCD . And maybe change it in 3 (or more)
years when good 19" OLED panels will be released.

The only "real" problem is that you can't switch resolution without loosing anything
in quality.But this won't ever be resolved on LCD ,it's because there is always a
native resolution . This fact probably won't change even when OLED panels are
released .... so you will have to wait forever .... ;)

peacetilence

Are you for real?

Are you really existing in this world......

You are the first one complaining on the 12ms screens that i know about :/ ... And you cant say that all 12ms screens ghost and every tft is bad.

I hope that you will have wonderful life with your wife ,Mrs Crt

mentorxxx said:
you forgot something very important . Eyestrain & radiation .
If you want to spend some money for the good health of your eyes and avoid
radiation then LCD is an excelent buy . Even more now that 19" 12ms LCD panels
are out and you can also play games on LCD without any problem.

I think now is the perfect time to get a 19" LCD . And maybe change it in 3 (or more)
years when good 19" OLED panels will be released.

The only "real" problem is that you can't switch resolution without loosing anything
in quality.But this won't ever be resolved on LCD ,it's because there is always a
native resolution . This fact probably won't change even when OLED panels are
released .... so you will have to wait forever .... ;)

i agree. the picture quality, response time, and cost of the 19" and 20" LCDs are begining to reach a turning point for CRT vs LCD gaming. the new viewsonic 19" is under 700 and supposedly delivers good picture quality and great gaming to boot for its cost. also much more adjustable, lighter, slimmer, puts off less heat/no radiation as compared to a CRT. that whole deal about LCDs being 3x the price is simply not true either, the 19" by viewsonic is no more than twice the cost of a good 20" (19 viewable for comparison of course) CRT. the color could be slightly better perhaps but then again the 19" viewsonic wasnt made for demanding color accuracy to begin with.

A LCD is not a bad purchase right now. I have a 18 inch I got from Walmart for $428. No ghosting in any games i play. As far as banding i dont see any and i dont know where you got the comment about only 60fps as I can do as many fps as my cpu and vpu will let me.

I run mine just fine with Vsync off and have no problems also. Image quality is great imho. As far as resolution changes looking crappy at non native it all depends. if you have a good system and plenty of unused power then enabling all your vid cards features along with clear type and you will not see any difference. I also appreciate the fact that using a crt in my sunroom was near impossible but I can use my lcd with no problems.

peacetilence said:

Ever notice it’s the people who don’t own one for what ever reason that bitch about it the most?

Reminds me of when HD TV first came out, every one that could not afford one said they were crap and the idea would never take off. Suddenly it’s getting harder and harder to find a standard def TV from any major manufacture. Just like trying to find an ultra high quality CRT monitor these days..there are damn few and there are going to be less next year.

Damn people that just piss on a thread with no reason..

BillR said:
Ever notice it’s the people who don’t own one for what ever reason that bitch about it the most?...

Why would someone buy one and then dump on it? It makes no sense. If I spent $400-$700 on one, I (personally) would be forced to convince myself that it was worth the cash regardless of how it really performed.

Why can't they have glass faces instead of that cheap, srcatchable plastic film?

Duckzilla said:
Why can't they have glass faces instead of that cheap, srcatchable plastic film?

I think the film is supposed to reduce reflection and such... just my $.02.

-SEAL

BillR said:
Ever notice it’s the people who don’t own one for what ever reason that bitch about it the most?

Reminds me of when HD TV first came out, every one that could not afford one said they were crap and the idea would never take off. Suddenly it’s getting harder and harder to find a standard def TV from any major manufacture. Just like trying to find an ultra high quality CRT monitor these days..there are damn few and there are going to be less next year.

Damn people that just piss on a thread with no reason..

First of all I'm not pissing on any thread. If anything it's you pissing in the air on top of your own face. This is another case of the market influencing peoples purchases by selling something that makes a lot of money and has to be replaced frequently because of technological advances. CRT's have reached a point right now where they don't need any advances so there isn't much money in manufacturing the same one CRT over and over again when you can manufacture a new type of LCD every 6 months. Hi def vs regular tv against LCD vs CRT isn't much of a comparision because hi def looks better than a regular tv in every way while LCD doesn't advance the look of CRT for visual quality, yet...

This is no slag to people who have bought LCDs they're just in a stage right now where it would be a bad investment to make the switch so soon. I've read the prices of LCD's are supposed to be going down 30% in the next few months. The 17" 8ms monitors are looming on the horizon as well so I'd expect a lot of competition and better prices pretty soon.

My personal view on this is that LCDs are almost at a point where it is as good as a CRT but it is not quite there yet. With video cards being so fast now a days, I'm looking for a monitor that can do at least 1600x1200 in order to take advantage of the increase graphics power but there aren't any LCDs can do that resolution without any ghosting in games.

Also for the price of a 20" 16ms LCD, you can get a top of the line 19" CRT monitor that can do 1920x1440, a Geforce 6800 GT and still have some money leftover. LCDs right now remind me of DVD burners a couple of years ago. It may be nice to own one, but you have to a) pay a premium for it and b) it will be outdated pretty quickly. Right now DVD burners have reached their maximum speed so the price for them are dirt cheap. This is the same for CRT monitors.

Thankfully, I'll be in the market for a new monitor at the end of this year/beginning of next year so hopefully there are some new improvements in LCD technology but if I had to buy a new monitor right now, I would stick with CRTs.

i personally wouldnt go near a lcd monitor yet, sure they are fancy, they are nice and clear, but they are very very nice and very expensive when you consider what they do.

Back