Bad video card... or bad os...?

snowysnowcones

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi,
I was copying files from my old 80gig hard drive to my new 750gig... after it finished, I booted into windows normally... things were kind of weird though, I could not scroll with my mouse wheel, and pressing forward and back on the buttons would scroll up/down... I couldn't uninstall the logitech drivers either. Ok, so I get off the computer for a while, go downstairs to watch tv. I come back, and, like normal, my monitor is "asleep"... I move the mouse and it won't wake up.. I see no harddrive activity, so I restart... when I restart, the screen is corrupted.. when I go to login, my icon/name dissapears... I restart again.. I get to the login screen, then the system goes BSOD:

bluescreen003ef7.jpg

help!

Thanks,
-Snowy

I vote the possibility of psu, or if oced, general instability causing corruption.

eww, most likely a damaged graphics card but as pointed out, could be a power issue.

form the patterns on screen i'd say thats graphics ram failure.
If you have overclocked the memory or changed the voltage to it, set it back to default.
If it isnt clocked, try underclocking, you may get a bit more life from the card if that matters :)

Hmm... power issue? I've got a brand new 600 Watt Zalman, I'd hate to think it's that.. It was fine a little bit before :confused:

Try plugging in different power connectors to the gfx card (assuming it uses them).

Check that the memory heatsinks are about the same temp as the back of the card (the same area where the memory is located). If the sinks are a lot cooler than the back of the card, the heat isnt transferring to the heatsinks and may need looking at.

Do the same for the GPU core as well.

The back of the card where the ram/gpu are located should be a bit warmer than the heatsink temps, it shouldnt be night and day.

A quick test:
take the case side off and blow a housefan at the graphics card.
If that helps its likely to be a cooling problem.

Try plugging in different power connectors to the gfx card (assuming it uses them).

Check that the memory heatsinks are about the same temp as the back of the card (the same area where the memory is located). If the sinks are a lot cooler than the back of the card, the heat isnt transferring to the heatsinks and may need looking at.

Do the same for the GPU core as well.

The back of the card where the ram/gpu are located should be a bit warmer than the heatsink temps, it shouldnt be night and day.

A quick test:
take the case side off and blow a housefan at the graphics card.
If that helps its likely to be a cooling problem.
Felt where the memory is, gpu etc... heat dispersion seems normal. Traded out the non-modular PCIe with a modular PCIe cable, and that didn't help.
I get this error when I first login:
forcubedih7.jpg

I should also mention that if I don't login very quickly, my icon and name disappear.. a few seconds later, the screen goes black like it's in sleep mode, and I can't wake it.

I don't think the OS is correctly reading how much space is free on my hard drive, it wouldn't let me install the logitech drivers as I "didn't have enough space".

Thanks for the help guys :)

It looks like you have more than one issue but I'll deal with the graphics problem.

As you can boot fine and shortly after that, things go titsup, I'd say you have a heat issue of some type.
As suggested earlier, try blowing a housefan at the gfx card, if that does help, its very likely to be a heat issue.

eww, most likely a damaged graphics card but as pointed out, could be a power issue.

form the patterns on screen i'd say thats graphics ram failure.
QFT.

Have you tried viewing the dump file?

It looks like you have more than one issue but I'll deal with the graphics problem.

As you can boot fine and shortly after that, things go titsup, I'd say you have a heat issue of some type.
As suggested earlier, try blowing a housefan at the gfx card, if that does help, its very likely to be a heat issue.
Oops, sorry... I forgot to mention that screen is from last night, right before all this artifacting started happening >.< sorry.

Just tested the card in my brothers computer, and there was artifacting. So it seems to be bad videocard ram with a screwed up OS install!

Reset your bios, boot into safe mode and delete that folder with 'overclocking stuff' and you're probably going to fix your problems. :D

all you have to do is rename it microsoft stuff and your windows probs will go away.

Sometimes when I'm on, trying to install drivers or something, windows will freeze for a second, then the screen will go black, and I'll hear the VGA fan spin up, it'll go back down, and windows will appear again. To me, that sounds like a power issue, but I'm not sure.

Havent you already determined that the card has a fault?

Sometimes when I'm on, trying to install drivers or something, windows will freeze for a second, then the screen will go black, and I'll hear the VGA fan spin up, it'll go back down, and windows will appear again. To me, that sounds like a power issue, but I'm not sure.
My gut says it has to be the card. Get it RMAed.

\

if its vga drivers thats normal. but i would rma the card

could be a blown or faulty voltage regulator. It really looks like bad power but maybe it is the memory. Either way RMA.

Well, it wasn't a power issue... I popped in one of the 8800 Ultras I had lying around, and everything seems fine! Bioshock is fun :)

Back