bad wireless range d-link dir-655

THRESHIN

2[H]4U
so i admit it - i suck with networking. terrible. i have a d-link dir-655, at the time seemed to be a good router. unfortunately my wireless signal sucks balls. my house is only 1050 sq.ft. and i get trash signal. in one room maybe 20' tops from the router the signal from the wireless is there, but only barely. little over half way across the house it cuts out entirely.

any thoughts on where to start? i have no idea.

walls are plaster, don't know if that could make a difference. older home. no other wireless things going on that i know of.

The plaster is most likely your problem. I've moved on from installing DIR-655s in our new installations but they've been good and I still have 2 of them in my own house covering about 4500ft of space without any less than 70% signal. Problem with Plaster is that you could have metal behind the plaster holding it up basically creating a wireless shield and just completely kills the signal. Do you have a basement in the house? Maybe you could place a few access points under the floors? Otherwise you might have to get a wire to a 2nd AP.

yeah i was kinda wondering about the plaster....not sure on the metal bit but from what little i've cut into it to add a couple wired ports, central vac, etc. have yet to see any.

would it be possible to add a second router on the wired ports and use it as like a second wireless access point?

Not entirely that simple. Google is your friend here. Basically if you use a second 655 it will have the same ip addy as the first so you need to disable dhcp and set it to a static ip out of the range of the first 655. Lots of articles on the dlink forum.

I use ASUS 520GU, flashed with Tomato, running WDS, so wireless repeating. That took some configuring as well. Lotsa articles on how to on the Tomato forums.

Cheers!

Back