Baldurs Gate 3 - Official Discussion Thread (2019)

what build is everyone starting with? im thinking a melee ranger with heavy armor

Right now I'm thinking the origin warlock for a good play through. I want to do a paladin but I don't really like the 5th edition version.
Dragonborn sorcerer is another high on my list.

Draconic bloodline will have an effect on how your characters look. Skip to 14 minutes to see that.

what build is everyone starting with? im thinking a melee ranger with heavy armor

I’m not sure yet. I haven’t had played since the EA launch so I’ll need to poke around at the options available and see what jumps out at me.

I have to admit, I am starting to get excited about this game, even though, for me, it’s not really one of those games I can’t wait to play.

BG 2 was actually the same for me - somehow I sensed the excitement from other people, and wanted to look into it. I like the sense of community that you can feel when a big game launches - the idea that you and hundreds of thousands of people are all experiencing something new simultaneously. You can join in on the conversation in ‘real time’. I like that.

I’ve also come to realize how much respect I have for Swen Vincke. I love the way he communicates with his fan-base. He seems authentic. He seems super passionate about the game, and even though he will sometimes boast about certain features, he’s not like Peter Molyneux. Last night, I couldn’t stop watching his most recent interviews - he’s developed a bit of an eye twitch. LOL.

I hadn’t realized he started Larian 27 years ago. This is one of the older studios around. And it seems he’s been able to retain the talent… like Bethesda and Remedy. I think there’s a lot to that.

I'm playing co-op and am doing mine as a Gloomstalker/Assasin Ranger and buddy is doing a Paladin.
Paladin has some cool stuff going on I think I want a Druid so I can get the Moonbeam spell I would do a Bard but everyone is going to do a Bard.

Hey everyone!

We are ONE DAY away from the release of Baldur’s Gate 3, so we hope your hearts are ready for adventure and your eyeballs are primed for tadpoling.

Many of you have been playing Baldur’s Gate 3 since the start of Early Access, all the way back in 2020. You may have accumulated a backlog of old save games, or even a few mods along the way. Even if you’re a first-time player, there’s information here that will be useful to you.

To make sure you’re prepared for the journey ahead, we strongly recommend you take the following steps before venturing forth.

1. Delete your in-game Early Access Saves
We’ve taken measures to ensure a smooth transition into the launch version of BG3, but we still recommend deleting your in-game Early Access save files if you still have access to an Early Access version of the game.

Your Early Access saves and player profiles aren’t compatible with the release version of Baldur’s Gate 3, and leaving them in your save folders may in some fringe cases cause issues. Note: simply deleting the game’s save folder may create conflicts when either Steam Cloud or Larian Cloud re-downloads the save files.
  1. Open Baldur’s Gate 3.
  2. On the main menu, click
    Load Game.
  3. Click through old campaigns and select
    Delete Campaign.

This method will ensure your saves are deleted from your computer as well as from the cloud.

We know it can be hard to say goodbye: if you want to back up your saves before removing them from the cloud, you can move them from
%LocalAppData%\Larian Studios
to another location for safekeeping, before removing them.

4e6ac09b3865a14a456ba0fd1af9df056d0082b0.gif

b568f38c0013d6c0cd279656a8fa1ef6fa6f4e70.gif

2. Uninstall the Early Access version
Having the Early Access version of Baldur’s Gate 3 installed will not speed up your download of the full game, and could affect your installation of the full game. Due to the game being in Early Access, we’re unable to offer pre-loads, as this would break existing Early Access saves. To uninstall:
  1. In the Steam client, open your Steam Library.
  2. Right click
    Baldur’s Gate 3.
  3. From the menu that appears, select
    Manage -> Uninstall.

b8e4a38305ecb0a1f42d2a497d7e11b2f02a63a5.gif

3. Delete your Mods
Existing mods will not be compatible with the release version of Baldur’s Gate 3, and will cause issues or break the game in unpredictable ways.

After uninstalling the game, check your Baldur’s Gate 3 installation folder and your AppData folder for Baldur’s Gate 3 to ensure there are no remaining folders for mods.

If you use a mod installer like the Vortex Mod Manager from Nexus, make sure you also uninstall the mods in the mod manager to ensure they aren’t automatically re-downloaded.

For mod-related troubleshooting, check out our Mod Information support page.

4. Install BG3 on an SSD
A solid-state drive (SSD) is highly recommended to play Baldur’s Gate 3, and we recommend you install the game on yours. It’s good practice to make sure you have more space on the drive than is needed.

5. Update your graphics card drivers
Updating to the latest graphics card drivers will help with compatibility and performance of the game.

6. Refer to the launch FAQ
If you have any problems launching BG3 when we switch to the final version of the game on August 3rd, we’ll have an FAQ accessible from the launcher that will detail some of what we believe may be the most likely problems, with solutions.

Outside of the above, our support teams will be happy to assist you with any problems, but we sincerely hope you have fun with the final version of Baldur’s Gate 3!

I just reinstalled Windows 11 two weeks ago so I should be good unless Cloud saves are still up in the air.

The Steam Forums are going to be on fire tomorrow. Right now people posting on there are blind from their LCD gaming with bad PC games like Gary's Mod and Leaf Blower Simulator for the past 10 years.

Last edited:
Wait… I have to re-install the entire game just to delete save files from the cloud?

Hmmm..
I had already nuked my EA install and local save files to get ready last week to reinstall. Oh well — will see how it goes

Count me as an old fart that just uninstalled not even thinking about cloud saves, cloud what? Uninstalling deletes my saves, duh!! Oops. Get off my lawn too.

I feel sorry for all these youtube would-be influencers who have to resort to click bait sensationalism to try to get that those all important clicks and views on their channels. I sometimes think that the internet was a mistake because it has inspired tons of people who have nothing of value to say to get out there and create their own channels to say it nonetheless, and in most cases, they're just recycling existing news and trying to pass it off as some contribution of their own.

I know a guy at work who weighs 400 lbs he has a channel devoted to Legos he has about 400 subs only for the past 5 years. I'll see if I can find his YT page. You can't monatize till you hit 1k in subs.

https://youtube.com/@LofElle

Collectors Edition is going for 500.00 on ebay. Only one for sale on their retail price is 100.00 really would like it for the map.

Update the Map sucks just general topography not really showing locations.

Last edited:
Okay, so I re-installed the game just to delete my cloud saves. Then I uninstalled it again. I’ve been gaming for 37 years and I’ve never had to do such a thing.

Okay, so I re-installed the game just to delete my cloud saves. Then I uninstalled it again. I’ve been gaming for 37 years and I’ve never had to do such a thing.
They are just doing damage control probably wasn't necessary.

I'll be fishing on Lake Michigan and will get home just before launch. Lake is rough but my dad says it won't be too choppy wave action. I won't be able to play till tomorrow though due to download size unless the compressed file is really small.

IMG_20230803_042639222.jpg

Caught 4 fish Two Rainbow trout 1 King Salmon and one Coho at the end. We had a monster Rainbow on but bent the hook flat.

Last edited:
Have we hit release yet? My steam still says 79gb install, that was the pre.

2 1/2 hours from now it goes live. 150gb install, steam servers are gonna get fucking destroyed
I wouldn't worry too much about steam servers, steam is usually good with speeds from my experience even on big name releases most of the time. I am more worried about the GoG release. They just had CDN issues last week and I was downloading updates for a couple of games yesterday and only getting like 10-15KB/s on my gigabit connection. :banghead:

Have we hit release yet? My steam still says 79gb install, that was the pre.

Not until regular Steam release times today. The file size is going to be way bigger. 150gig install not sure of compressed download size suspect like just over 110.

So is this game gonna break the internet?

Never played one of these and didn't play any D&D growing up so I am cautiously interested in this pending whether or not it will run decently at 4 k on my system

Never played one of these and didn't play any D&D growing up so I am cautiously interested in this pending whether or not it will run decently at 4 k on my system
122GB PC only day 1 with no pre-load? We are going to wreck the Steam servers no doubt.

These types of games come out once every 10 years. Elden Ring broke the internet but this will come close.

the game has been out for years in Early Access (I know the final version is very different) so I'm not sure if the official release will be 'internet breaking'

the game has been out for years in Early Access (I know the final version is very different) so I'm not sure if the official release will be 'internet breaking'
Lotta EA haters like myself that stopped playing games early/mid cycle - it might not break the internet but I won't be surprised if we're all sitting there downloading at 100kbps for a whole day.

True, but unlike many EA titles, for this one they are forcing everybody to download the game again at once. This is why no preload is a bad idea.

I have to admit… I’m surprised at how much buzz this game has generated. I guess the Baldur’s Gate license combined with Larian’s growing popularity has contributed to this.

They're actually pushing people to uninstall the Early Access version and download the final version fresh. It's 100+ GB, but at least my download seems to be going quickly.

I'm getting the max for my connection download right now. Cross your fingers this keeps up

Back