Baldurs Gate 3 - Official Discussion Thread (2019)

The only thing I'm kind of surprised at so far is the vast quantity of camp supplies you can find by just picking through all the crates and barrels. I kinda figured at first that camp supplies would have to be conserved, but I've got wayyy more than I need.
At first you also think the clock is running fast and you cannot afford to sleep more than 1-2 time, but I am not sure that the case at all, modern video games tend to do that, hurry something that seem to be urgent is happening, but you can still take time to look inside drawer to pick some empty bottle and craft a potion.....

Here are the customer reviews on GOG, these are the top reviews, I'm not cherry-picking:
I think you should have cherry pick review more fresh than 2020 one ? A lot of the issues would have been fixed by now

You sound like Fox news; you cherry pick the reviews to support your perspective but you do not give an even random sample of reviews. This is called bias reporting. Only very evil people do this sort of thing. I.e, trolls.
A few pages back, somebody suggested that we ignore trolls instead of engage with them, so i've set that guy to ignore. I think that's pretty good advice.

At first you also think the clock is running fast and you cannot afford to sleep more than 1-2 time, but I am not sure that the case at all, modern video games tend to do that, hurry something that seem to be urgent is happening, but you can still take time to look inside drawer to pick some empty bottle and craft a potion.....

I think you should have cherry pick review more fresh than 2020 one ? A lot of the issues would have been fixed by now

My first run thru I spent weeks in in game days before even getting to the grove.

For someone that has no idea what DnD is about much less played DnD, would they enjoy this game?

You sound like Fox news; you cherry pick the reviews to support your perspective but you do not give an even random sample of reviews. This is called bias reporting. Only very evil people do this sort of thing. I.e, trolls.

They're literally the GOG top reviews, at least on Mac.

I finally put some time into the game over the weekend. It actually feels more like tabletop D&D than any of the older BG or Icewind Dale titles did. I like having a narrator and obvious dice rolls for different scenarios. That's for better and worse since it does make the pacing pretty slow at times. Still, it's fun and quite different from anything else I've played lately. My only real gripe is the UI/UX. The various menus feel a little clumsy and the choices to have certain options one screen vs. another have been odd. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but I find myself having to hunt for things that should be obviously front and center.

1692020258449.jpeg

1692021623719.png

Its just a bunch of shills, right?

Started my first playthrough over the weekend, coop. Githyanki Wizard Warrior and Teifling Theif/ranger duo. So far its amazing but I also took low Charisma, it hasn't bit me to hard yet but I can feel the skin of my teeth. Bro in the Teifling should be taking point in convos.

The deeper in I get the more I enjoy it, but yes the dice roll mechanic annoys me, not that I have to do dice roll, just the length of time for the animation and announcement I passed or failed. After a bit its a little annoying how long it takes.

The deeper in I get the more I enjoy it, but yes the dice roll mechanic annoys me, not that I have to do dice roll, just the length of time for the animation and announcement I passed or failed. After a bit its a little annoying how long it takes.
The idea of skill checks doesn't bother me, but yeah the animation takes it's time for sure.

I like the game so far. The cinematics have lots of eye candy. Took me a minute to get used to the combat.
I could do with out all the sexual encounter stuff. I mean in my youth I'd a hit some orc breed, (god knows I had some questionable encounters myself, but kitty is kitty, even if it ain't pretty) but these days, It's not a priority and doesn't fit in because of the kids schedule most days.

Click directly on the dice to speed that up.

I do like the game. The more I play the more annoyed I get with some of the decisions and bugs.

the "haha take THAT, AAA gaming, you can't do what this developer did!!11" discourse is puzzling. like did we already forget Elden Ring, Tears of the Kingdom, RE4, etc etc?

I feel like the knee-jerk reply some folks might have is "uhh ever heard of (insert AAA game that received a lot of criticism like Diablo 4)" but... i mean, yeah, there are always big-name AAA duds. this is not something new to gaming.

the "haha take THAT, AAA gaming, you can't do what this developer did!!11" discourse is puzzling. like did we already forget Elden Ring, Tears of the Kingdom, RE4, etc etc?

I feel like the knee-jerk reply some folks might have is "uhh ever heard of (insert AAA game that received a lot of criticism like Diablo 4)" but... i mean, yeah, there are always big-name AAA duds. this is not something new to gaming.
It only happened because the studios openly complained about being held to the same standard...

It only happened because the studios openly complained about being held to the same standard...
yeah there were some cringe comments from a few big names. does that change what i said though?

edit: not trying to be a wet blanket, i'm really really liking BG3, it just fascinates me how social media and group think work

it makes no difference in the end, i'm just arguing over semantics and logical falllacies literally no one else gives a shit about, lol.

in any case, we all win because BG3's success means we are guaranteed to get more deep tabletop-inspired RPGs in the future now. :D and inevitably someone will innovate in this genre in ways that'll make BG3 look quaint some day.

This is one of the rare games in 2023 that’s running really well right out of the gate. I’ve encountered very few bugs, and the game itself is running great.

My only complaint is the damned camera - the way it’s tilted down, and won’t let me look up.

btw what i'm loving most about BG3 is the way it's so open-ended in terms of problem solving. if you have an item in your inventory that says it does a particular thing, and at some point you come across a situation where it might apply, then chances are it will do what you think it should. case in point:
when you enter the hag's lair, there are several people being held captive in various ways, one of which being a dwarf who has been turned to stone. i knew i had a bottle of basilisk oil in my pack (it reverts "flesh to stone") so i threw it at him and sure enough, he came back to life. in ANY other game, the item to do this would be *specifically* for this npc/sidequest, and you would've found it shortly before running into him alongside a note saying "MY FRIEND GOT TURNED TO STONE SO I GOT THIS BASILISK OIL BUT SOMEONE KNOCKED HIM OVER AND HE CRUMBLED OH WELL GUESS I'LL LEAVE IT ON THIS TABLE FOR THE PLAYER TO FIND JUST IN CASE THEY FIND SOMEONE ELSE WHO HAS BEEN TURNED TO STONE YOU NEVER KNOW LOL"

So, as I get further - am I leaving XP on the table by solving problems with dialogue and non-violent methods vs. just killing everything? So far it seem like I am. There was even one scenario where the best solution seemed to be "talk your way out of a fight and them ambush everyone while they're walking away to get their gear."
Is that a consistent thing?

So, as I get further - am I leaving XP on the table by solving problems with dialogue and non-violent methods vs. just killing everything? So far it seem like I am. There was even one scenario where the best solution seemed to be "talk your way out of a fight and them ambush everyone while they're walking away to get their gear."
Is that a consistent thing?

So far, yes. Lots of different options, even if you came across something ahead of time. Dealing with some Zhents was...interesting.

So far, yes. Lots of different options, even if you came across something ahead of time. Dealing with some Zhents was...interesting.
i think you misunderstood Domingo's question, which was if there was an overall loss in XP gain when intimidating/persuading/deceiving yourself out of combat situations instead of just killing everything. which is a question i've had myself.

^ same here, game is quite transparent on XP unless in dialog, then you don't know what happens. Hack and slash has gotten me to level 7 before act II so maybe compare and contrast?

I'm not very far, but in at least once instance I tried talking my way out of fighting some bandits and seemingly got nothing. If I got XP, it wasn't all that much. I fought them and ended up gaining a level.
I mean, I get it if you're playing a party that's all about diplomacy, but you kinda have to fight sometimes. You might be screwing yourself long term.

I'm not very far, but in at least once instance I tried talking my way out of fighting some bandits and seemingly got nothing. If I got XP, it wasn't all that much. I fought them and ended up gaining a level.
I mean, I get it if you're playing a party that's all about diplomacy, but you kinda have to fight sometimes. You might be screwing yourself long term.
that's been my experience (pun intended) as well. seems crazy that Larian did not consider this... maybe they thought it was a gameplay balance thing? or i guess not gameplay balance but more just trying to avoid people rolling out of so many combat situations that they miss out on a major component of the game? which isn't great, since if you're, ya know, role-playing a character who abhors violence except when absolutely necessary for example, telling some goblins "fuck you bitch, i'mma kill you" every so often just so you don't fall behind in leveling would be dumb

Any AAA studios did ? Or some small studio say this cannot be the budget-time bar for us and people working for AAA studios agreed with them, that smaller studio cannot all afford to record millions of line of dialogue, make 140 hours of cinematic, specially without a super strong IP branding that make giant day 1 sales possible.

I doubt Starfield or the people working on the next Elder Scroll/Red Dead/Assassin's Creed game think or would say publicly complained about being held to that standard, I have not seen a single case.

One of the BG3 articles I read mentioned you don't get punished xp wise for avoiding combat via dialogue. I recall gaining xp for resolving situations and avoiding combat using charisma dialogue skill checks.

I finally put some time into the game over the weekend. It actually feels more like tabletop D&D than any of the older BG or Icewind Dale titles did. I like having a narrator and obvious dice rolls for different scenarios. That's for better and worse since it does make the pacing pretty slow at times. Still, it's fun and quite different from anything else I've played lately. My only real gripe is the UI/UX. The various menus feel a little clumsy and the choices to have certain options one screen vs. another have been odd. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but I find myself having to hunt for things that should be obviously front and center.
If you have very specific suggestions on how to improve the menu and can somehow express them in a fashion that someone at Larian actually reads them and comprehend them they are a company always willing to improve things (though it might take 3 or 6 or 12 months given the level of noise to read).

Back