Ball and Chain Goes Digital

HardOCP News

[H] News
Get this, someone invented a 20lb ball and chain that has a built in electronic timer so that it can’t be taken off until the timer goes off. Although the uses for this are unlimited, currently it is being marketed as a “study aid.” Now that is funny!

Parents just put in a desired study time on the "Study Ball" and attach the more than 20 pound ball to their kids' ankle. A red digital display counts down the time and the chain unlocks and beeps when time is up.

Interesting considering the recent headlines I've seen over child abuse by their parents and/or teachers.

When I first saw "Ball and Chain goes digital", I thought it had something to do with wives. :D

On a more serious note, I'm sure all the human-rights advocates are going to have a field day with it. These days, people get pissy if you even try to discipline your kids.

lol thats awesome. but yeah, this is probably an activists wet dream

While I wouldn't ever buy this for my kid (as I actually do my job as a parent and not their best friend), I do find it amusing.

What if your house catches fire?

The parent simply needs to throw the ball through and out the window... the kid will soon follow.

Seriously, is this a lawsuit happy idea or what? Damn, isn't doing such things illegal?

What if your house catches fire?

As the article states there is a special key that will allow the parents to unlock it.

On a side note, what child can't carry a 20lb object?

This is suppose to be for homework so you are at least talking bout a 7 year old.

If 20lbs is too heavy for your child to carry you might want to consider making them so some exercise and away from in front of the tv.

Just getting done with finals has kept me in the studying/procrastinating mood enough to figure out a brilliantsolution for those lazy students who need to be chained to study:

Stick it in a backpack and wear baggy pants.

The idea is pretty sound though. And come college, many schools have study rooms that you can ask to be locked inside for a couple hours. Obviously not for everyone of course.

What happened to simply just chaining the kid using a peg and chain?

even if they can't pick it up outright, i'm willing to bet they can drag it...

i mean it's not like most kids play outside any more, they'd just drag it to the tv/pc/game console and do whatever

What happened to simply just chaining the kid using a peg and chain?

Not high-tech enough, duh! If it doesn't have a digital reader, require some form of power source, or involve an electronic circuit, it cannot be used anymore.

Or

The parents of this generation( If you are reading this and are a parent, you obviously do not fall into the follow demographic ) are so fracking stupid they can't do it for themselves, so as usual they need someone else to do it for them. You know, the typical American cycle of people getting more stupid( stupider for some of you ) and needing to be told how to parent.

I cannot wait to see what it is like in another twenty years...we going to have ankle bands that act like gravity generators and put them on student's to keep them in place? LOL

Us Chinese have more effective ways of getting a kid to study. FEATHER DUSTER ANYONE?

Not high-tech enough, duh! If it doesn't have a digital reader, require some form of power source, or involve an electronic circuit, it cannot be used anymore.

Or

The parents of this generation( If you are reading this and are a parent, you obviously do not fall into the follow demographic ) are so fracking stupid they can't do it for themselves, so as usual they need someone else to do it for them. You know, the typical American cycle of people getting more stupid( stupider for some of you ) and needing to be told how to parent.

I cannot wait to see what it is like in another twenty years...we going to have ankle bands that act like gravity generators and put them on student's to keep them in place? LOL

We were just talking about some like that last week about everything needing to be electical. A coworker had a son a few weeks ago and we were talking about how everything today takes batteries. Swings that you had to crank for about a minute for them to swing for about 10 minutes, replaced with battery operated swings. Toy cars that you had to push or pull back a few times to wined up before letting them go, replaced with battery operated cars... When I was growing up way back in 80s very few of my toys took batteries, now adays come christmas or birthdays you end up spending about half as much on batteries as you do the toys you got them.

Isn't this like slavery or something?

Looks like Jesse Jackson is back in business.

"release the ACLU"

Will this be sold next to the arm bands with the yellow stars?

Shit this wouldnt work on me, I actually put weights into my bookbag everyday I go to school to strengthen my core/legs

Shit this wouldnt work on me, I actually put weights into my bookbag everyday I go to school to damage my spine and injure my back

while i doubt this would ever get me to study, i can certainly think of a few things to do with it in the bedroom with another person... with boobs.

"...And in other news, creator of digital ball and chain is murdered last night after parents of studious child is killed in a fire."

Why can't parents do it the old fashioned way. The way it was done to me... Guilt. My parents didn't need to say a damn thing to make me study, I knew it had to be done or else there was going to be hell to pay, as well as a serious case of "I'm not mad, I'm disappointed"

Todays parents are such pussies.

Enjoy your economic slavery. Get back to the grindstone.

We were just talking about some like that last week about everything needing to be electical. A coworker had a son a few weeks ago and we were talking about how everything today takes batteries. Swings that you had to crank for about a minute for them to swing for about 10 minutes, replaced with battery operated swings. Toy cars that you had to push or pull back a few times to wined up before letting them go, replaced with battery operated cars... When I was growing up way back in 80s very few of my toys took batteries, now adays come christmas or birthdays you end up spending about half as much on batteries as you do the toys you got them.

You must have lived in an alternate reality during the 80's.

Seeing commercials, on UK telly that said, "New from MB games, batteries not included" was so commonplace and ubiquitous that Spielberg named a movie after it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJmvsb13dA8

*batteries not included

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092494/

Enjoy your economic slavery. Get back to the grindstone.

You must have lived in an alternate reality during the 80's.

Seeing commercials, on UK telly that said, "New from MB games, batteries not included" was so commonplace and ubiquitous that Spielberg named a movie after it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJmvsb13dA8

*batteries not included

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092494/

Fine earily 80s. I was born in 1980. While some toys did take batteries, I had action figured which did not. Now adays it seems like they all need batteries to make some sound or something. I had toy cars that I had to push accross the floor. The sit and spin that i had did not require batteries. again now it does to make noises. I grew up with many toys that did not need batteries, sure some did but not 85% of them that do now (or at least it seems like it is that many). Back in 1980 you would not find battery operated swings, rocking chairs, cribs or any of othe other baby stuff you find down. You want to rock your baby you rock the chair yourself. You didn't put them into a device, flip a switch and have it rock them for you. If you wanted the swing to work, you would turn a crank and it would swing for awhile. Or at least if there was stuff out there like that the middle class wasn't using it.

There is another one though. Board games. monopoly use to be played with paper money, now it is electronic and you use credit cards. Battle ship use to require that you mark stuff on your own. That too went electronic. Uno went electronic. As did a lot of other games. Sure you had a few exceptions like simon and stuff like that, but many games I played growing up did not require batteries. Now that is changing a little more every year. Although board games are being replaced with DVD and computer games anyway, so soon they won't exist any more.

Back