Ballistix 16FD3s just died, what kind of funeral should I hold?

Leman

Gawd
Crucial Ballistix, 1GB, DDR2-800 CL4-4-4-12, 2.0V, D9GMH, 16FD3 series.

2 sticks, $70, summer 2007.

A good workhorse, and a throwback to the days when DDR2 was more expensive, and cheap D9GMHs could be had. Running up to 1000MHz DDR was easy, but hitting 1200 was a goal that not many could achieve. Not without D9s, anyways.

I've taken these sticks as far as 1064, but most of the time, I ran them at DDR2-750 CL3-3-4-10 2.2V. And the 16FD3s and 16FD5s weren't made for that long. They were good. They were classy. But now they've departed to another plane.

I'll probably end up replacing them with something cheap (they don't sell 2GB kits any more...). 2GB single stick DDR2-800 CL5-5-5-15 $20 stuff. A far cry from orange anodized heatsinks, with textured edging, black PCB, understated Crucial packaging, and most importantly, D9GMHs.

Good night, sweet prince.

I'm surprised that lasted that long. RIP.

Crucial will replace them...

Gentlemen, I ask that you all close your eyes and pray for a moment...very sorry about your loss good sir. Terrible thing to happen.

They do have a lifetime warranty no? Could probably get 'em replaced for some value sticks, even if they're only worth $20-30, why not.

I don't think I can get a replacement. For one, they were bought in the States, but I'm currently living in Canada. I don't know what kind of mess that'll create.

Second, wall of text:
With respect to Crucial Ballistix products, Crucial warrants to the original end customer of its products specified below that its products are free from defects in material and workmanship affecting form, fit, and function. All such products sold will meet the datasheet specifications as found on its Web page (www.crucial.com/ballistix). Any claim made alleging that any product fails to conform to the foregoing warranty may be made only by the end customer who purchased such product and only while such customer owns such product. Crucial, at its option, will repair, replace, or provide a credit or refund of either the original purchase price or fair market value, whichever is lower, of any product that is determined by Crucial to be defective. Some system configurations may not be designed to operate or may not operate at the published Crucial Ballistix memory speed and timing settings. Overclocking, running your system faster than the speed for which it was designed or the published speed, or otherwise modifying your system timing may result in damage to computer components, and Crucial disclaims any and all liability for such damage.

2.2V, DDR2-1064... hmm.

Hindsight: Maybe 2.2V is what did them in. I swear they were at 2.1...

Currently, I'm using some Crucial Rendition (value stuff). Pig disgusting CL6. $28 CAD for a 2GB stick though.

How's Corsair's warranty policy? Do they care if you overclock? The website info isn't very specific. Same with G.Skills. Overclocking isn't specifically mentioned, but "physical damage" and "unauthorized modifications" are listed.

(What's with Crucial and dead memory? Didn't the old DDR Ballistix like to die too (probably a side effect of putting extra voltage through BH-6 chips)? Shame those G.Skill HZ kits were over $100 at the time I bought these. But DDR2s advanced so much since then. Even cheap stuff will hit decent speeds.)

Yea, from what I've seen Crucial went thru a large batch of bad sticks that died within months or a year as they approached the end of production for both DDR and DDR2 Ballistix... My 512MBx2 DDR Ballistix both died after about a year or a year and a half, but the replacements (each RMA'd individually) are still working fine to this day, I keep 'em close to stock speeds though (w/semi-loose timings, 2.5-3-2 IIRC). 5B37E94A & 0B071E76

Back